Author Topic: V-Strom Information Compendium  (Read 16802 times)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
V-Strom Information Compendium
« on: April 11, 2011, 20:50:21 »
Disclaimer: THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY GLEE INFORMATION. While I will do my normal perfectionistic best to make sure that all information here is accurate I won't accept any responsibility for any errors or omissions. If you want to be a 100% sure there is only one way to go about and that is: check it yourself.

With that out of the way, here's the idea: Our forum is full of useful information, lots of questions get answered here and people are helped and provided with information almost on a daily basis. Many of the questions asked get repeated and although most don't mind answering them again it would be nice to have the answers noted somewhere for easy reference. Some questions are more obscure and if you searched for the answer later you wouldn't always be able to find the same topic again (at least not without a lot of effort.) This topic then is the amalgamation of everything we deem remotely worth noting for future reference. Note that I say 'we' because even though I'll be the maintainer for it I'm not the only contributing. So if you read the forum and you come across something you feel needs noting you can come post it here or PM it to me. I will get it added in and then your post will be deleted afterwards to keep things tidy. I will try to organise things into different categories to make it easier to navigate. This will obviously be a work in progress for a very long time to come, if you can't find something here, but you find it elsewhere then please suggest that it gets added.

Please don't ask questions here!

Note: Unless stated otherwise the information is applicable to all models, exceptions when known will be stated. For 'new' people: Wee = 650 & Vee = 1000.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Juvecu

Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Juvecu

Re: V-Strom Information Compendium
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 20:56:25 »
Wheels and Suspension:

Front Tyre Specs: 110/80 R19 M/C 59H, tubeless
Rear Tyre Specs: 150/70 R17 M/C 69H, tubeless

Wee Standard Front Tyre Pressure: 33 psi solo, 33 psi dual
Wee Standard Rear Tyre Pressure: 36 psi solo, 41 psi dual
Vee Standard Front Tyre Pressure: 36 psi solo, 36 psi dual
Vee Standard Rear Tyre Pressure: 36 psi solo, 41 psi dual

DL650 fork springs:
Dual rate springs, approximately 0.45 / 0.75 kg/mm.
OD: 1.45"
ID: 1.05"
Wire: 0.21"
Turns: 29 + 8 = 37
Uncompressed Length: 17.5"
Coil binding length: 7.6"
Maximum allowable travel: 10"
Stock spacer: 4.15" metal

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 21:02:52 »
Electrical:

Battery:
Wee Standard Battery: 12V 36.0 kC(10 Ah)/10 HR (YTX12 - BS)
Vee Standard Battery: 12V 43.2 kC(12 Ah)/10 HR (FTX14 - BS)

Spark Plugs:
Wee Standard Spark plug: NGK CR8E or DENSO U24ESR-N
Wee Iridium Spark plug: NGK CR8EIX
Vee Standard Spark plug: NGK CR8EK or DENSO U24ETR

Note that K4 to K6 Wee models (and all the Vee models) have a single spark plug per cylinder and K7 Wee models onwards have twin plugs per cylinder.

Fuses:
Main fuse: 30A
Fuses: 15/15/10/10/15/15A (mini blade fuses)
ABS fuse: 40/25A

Lights:
Headlight: 12V 60/55W x 2 (H4)
Brake light/Tail light: 12V 21/5W x 2
licence plate light: 12V 5W
Turn signal light: 12V 21W x4
Front Position/Park Light: 12V 5W x 2

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 21:36:23 »
Seats, Luggage & Exhausts:

Seats:
Seats can be changed between all models and there are several different seats. Below is a list of seats, the measurements uses the Standard 650 seat as reference.

Standard 650 seat (used as measurements reference, part#: 45100-27G00-H1N)
Standard 1000 seat (+20mm, part#: 45100-06G10-H1N for K4 onwards & 45100-06G00-W69 for the K2/K3)
Optional Gel seat (I have one and it feels higher than a standard 1000 seat, part#: 99950-62186)
Optional Low seat for Vee (+0mm apparently a standard Wee seat, but part# differs, part#: 45100-06G50-H1N)
Optional Low seat for Wee (-20mm, part#: 45100-27810-H1N)
Optional Tall seat (+40mm, part#: 45100-06G60-H1N)

There are aftermarket seats for the V-Strom, here's a list of a few manufacturers:
Corbin
Sargent
Bagster
Day-Long

You can also get your own seat modified by a local motorcycle seat builder/modifier so it's just the way you like it. This normally works out cheaper as you take in your old seat to be modified instead of buying a complete new seat.

Luggage:
There are 3 different rear luggage racks, the standard rack, the GT (aka Touring) rack and the XP rack. All rear luggage racks will fit all model bikes. The standard luggage rack can be fitted with various aftermarket mounting plates to fit matchings top boxes from other manufacturers (like Givi, Kappa, Krauser, etc.) That the XP rack has the rear indicators bolted to the sides of the rack and if you fitted this to a non XP bike you might need to extend the rear indicator wires (if someone knows that this is not the case then please let me know.) The XP rack is for use with the Trax aluminium top box. The GT rack is for use with a Suzuki OEM top box.

Suzuki sell side pannier rails, these bolt to the GT luggage rack and the rear footrest mounts. They are for mounting the plastic Suzuki panniers to. Because of the differences between the exhausts on the different model bikes the rear footrest mounts are slightly different. There are 3 different side pannier rail sets. All Vee models use the same rails, all K4-K6 Wee models use the same rails and K7+ Wee (twin spark) models use the same rails. The XP side pannier rails are for the K7+ Wee models only and needs the XP rear luggage rack and Trax aluminium panniers.

Suzuki sells a back rest for their plastic top box, you can order them from your local Suzuki dealer. The part# is 990D0-06G48-005 and they cost ~£28.

Exhausts:
All Vee models use the same exhaust, aftermarket exhausts use short link pipe and end cans. Note that the one side's link pipe is shorter than the other, paying attention to this during installation can save you from a WTF moment.

K4-K6 Wee models use the same exhaust, aftermarket exhausts use a short link pipe.

K7+ Wee models use the same exhaust, aftermarket systems are normally a full system including the header pipes.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 14:02:49 »
Handle Bars:

Standard Handle Bar:
Handle bars are interchangeable between all models.
Bar Diameter:   7/8" (22.225mm)
Height:         4" (101.6mm)
Width:          30" (762mm)
Pullback:       5.3" (135mm)
Centre Width:         6" (152.4mm)
Clamp Area:     2-3/4" (69.85mm, inside measurement clamp to clamp) x 4-1/2" (114.3mm, outside measurement, clamp to clamp)

Mirrors:          10mm Clockwise thread (Right hand) 1.25 pitch (some are 1.5?)

Measurement explanation:
Height or Rise: Total height measured in a level plane.
Pull Back: Vertical lines from the furthest forward to rear in a level plane.
Centre Width: Straight flat section before the start of the bends.
Width: Total overall tip to tip width, no grips or bar end weights.

Note: I got the stock bar measurements from here. They have the pullback as 8" (203.2mm) for the "DL650", but on the VSRI forums the pullback is shown as 6.5" (165.1mm.) That link also has the "DL1000" showing a pullback of 9.5" (241.3mm.) I believe the shape of the stock handlebars on all the Vee and Wee models is the same, the differences is in the holes drilled for the switchgear. This makes me think that the website at the link has the wrong pullback figure and that VSRI is correct so I have shown the VSRI figure above.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 16:16:23 »
Screens:

The early Vee models (K2/K3) has a fixed screen that isn't adjustable. K4+ Vee models have a different mounting which is the same as all the Wee models. This then also means screens can be swapped between all Wee and K4+ Vee models.

There are numerous screens available for the Wee and K4+ Vee models:
Suzuki Standard clear Wee/Vee screen (390mm)
Suzuki Optional tinted sports screen (350mm, supplied with some DL650X models, part#: ?)
MRA Vario, standard version (415mm) and a tall (515mm) version available (also a version for K2/K3 Vee)
Givi (big screen part#: D260ST and Airflow screen part#: AF260)
Cee Bailey's
CalSci
SlipScreen
Powerbronze
Puig
Skidmarx
Biondi
Barracuda Aerotourer
Rifle
F.Fabbri

Note: The measurements shown are is the vertical measurement to give an idea if how big the screen is compared to others.

Madstad make a screen bracket that is a replacement for the standard screen bracket on the Wee and K4+ Vee models. It allows you to adjust the screen up, down, forwards and backwards.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 14:35:35 »
Chain & Sprockets:

Standard sprockets on all Wee models are 15 teeth on the front and 47 teeth on the rear.
K4-K6 Wee models uses a 116 link 525 chain as standard.
K7+ Wee models uses a 118 link 525 chain as standard (the swingarm is 15mm longer.)

All Vee models use a 17 teeth front sprocket and 41 teeth rear sprocket. Check what you have on your bike at the moment before you order replacements.
All Vee models use a 112 link 525 chain.

Note: All Wee models have the speedo pickup from the front wheel so changing to non-standard sprockets will not affect the accuracy of the speedo. All Vee models have the speedo pickup from the gearbox so they are affected if changing to non-standard sprockets. I advise using a satnav at constant speeds to check how any changes has affected the accuracy of the speedo.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 17:29:46 »
2012 DL650s have the speedo sensor in a similar situation as the Vee. Changes in gearing will affect the speedo and odo. In fact, going from the stock 15T to a 16T front sprocket will make the speedo very accurate instead of 8% high as it is stock. It will made the odo read about 6% low though.

Moderators, feel free to move this if it is in a bad place. I didn't see the disclaimer and don't see a delete option.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 13:52:19 »
I'm happy to have people add accurate information to this :) I've not really spent the time I wanted on it so it could use a lot of adding to, go wild  :grin:

When I have some time again and I'm bored I will amalgamate anything you've added that's related to what's already been posted to the rest and leave whatever is new as is (more or less.)

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 11:13:24 »
I just noticed this was locked. It's now unlocked again. If anyone wants to add accurate, verifiable information in here (explained clearly) then feel free.

No discussions here, no questions here, just the info. If anything else is posted here it'll get deleted. If your info fits in with something else already posted I'll add it there and remove the post you made to keep things clean :thumb:

Glee & Veek info welcome too.