Author Topic: Is this a later DL1000 Clutch Basket?  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Is this a later DL1000 Clutch Basket?
« on: March 29, 2020, 16:44:19 »
John,

I read a post somewhere that said the DL1000 Basket had been improved around 2011? Is this one of those?

The obvious markings are 3L03 and 05G37.   :ty:

*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
Re: Is this a later DL1000 Clutch Basket?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 18:43:44 »
They look very much like pictures I took and posted years ago. The 3L03 you refer to and similar code is only seen printed on new dealership provided baskets. Never been able to fathom what it means but likely a code that lets Suzuki know if a returned part is the one they supplied. Its not on all of them or washes off after a while in the engine oil. Never see it on the used baskets that turn up here for rebuild. Three baskets queuing here for work don't have it.

The 05G37 is cast into the die casting of all baskets. Simply the manufacturers part number for the casting (which is not actually Suzuki). If its followed by the number 2 cast in an inch so after then its the revised, slightly improved casting. Has slightly smaller slots for the springs on its back so the plate that keeps the springs in does not move quite so far. Its that plate slapping about that causes all the trouble. Clatter at idle and vibration while riding. Any movement is a problem so not a major improvement if that's why they did it.

Are you asking for any particular reason? I can did out old pictures to explain this or exactly what you might be after. There are later revisions perhaps more relevant.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 19:55:46 »
Thanks,

I took those photos this afternoon  :smirk: It is a basket that I am about to put up for sale and wanted to be able to give accurate as possible information for it, I knew you would know  :ty:

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 20:39:50 »
Last time you showed pictures of an old but new basket think you had the box with part number on it. Do I recognise that damp corrosion mark (which is not an issue) on the the back thrust face?

Best way to date it is to look at the negatives of the screw heads either side of 05G37. One of those circles with the bar across it (negative of the screw driver slot) will have a letter from A to L signifying a month of manufacture. Other side of the bar will be the year it was cast. 11 for 2011. Perhaps 09 for 2009 you get my drift. Might need a good light and magnifying glass.

The 2014 onward baskets have a heavier plain circular cover plate on the back. The one you show will be suitable for all before 2014. Pre ABS bikes in other words.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 21:09:30 »
 :ty: