Author Topic: Keis heated jacket  (Read 762 times)

Online Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, B-King 2011, 1200 Bandit 1999 Triumph trophy 1200 1999
Keis heated jacket
« on: March 21, 2020, 16:49:34 »
After ready barbel Mick’s post a couple of weeks ago regarding Keis heated jacket I bought one today looks a great bit of kit and looking forward to trying it out on a ride tomorrow, I had to go for the biggest size Euro 60 Uk 50 and it is snug but that is how they suggest you wear them

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Keis heated jacket
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 17:45:38 »
Only worn our twice up to now but we are both impressed by them. Yes, snug is good and we just wore a long sleeved 'T' shirt underneath and both took the jacket liners out.
Last time out when the temperature showed as 12* on the display I felt too warm so I turned the jacket off!! It was still good as a mid layer for me at that temperature, (Deb didn't think so!!  :icon_no:).  :thumb:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester.

Online Asmith61

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 18:10:33 »
I have just plugged the jacket in and stood by the bike really impressed how quick the jacket heated up  :thumb:

Offline Hendo

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 18:43:38 »
I have never bothered with heated clothing until recently.  Lots of club members have them and my riding buddy has a Keis vest.
I saw a Blaze Wear heated jacket for sale at £87 so I thought it worth a punt.  Marvellous, how have I lived without it.  No need for thermal base layer, another layer and thermal linings.
I also bought the wireless control for £17 so can alter temperature from handlebar.  Very pleased.
Mystic Silver Glee XT, Radiator Guard, Innovv K1, Powerbronze   Hugger, 12v, Rowe PDM60, Oxford Heated Grips, LED DRL, ABS Protectors, R&G mudguard Extender, ABS Protectors, Scottoiler v-System, SW Motech Light Brackets, Touratech Swingarm cover

Online Asmith61

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 20:28:59 »
Hello hendo
I to have never bothered before but I get so cold nowadays  :grin:
Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow going to be sunny here but only 6 - 7 degrees

Offline Hendo

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 22:07:57 »
Hello Asmith,

I'm sure you will love it, let us know
Mystic Silver Glee XT, Radiator Guard, Innovv K1, Powerbronze   Hugger, 12v, Rowe PDM60, Oxford Heated Grips, LED DRL, ABS Protectors, R&G mudguard Extender, ABS Protectors, Scottoiler v-System, SW Motech Light Brackets, Touratech Swingarm cover

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2 White
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 22:55:17 »
I've had a jacket for years. If you ride in winter then they should be considered a necessity as they transform your experiences in the bike.

Of course it is a slippery slope, jacket, grips, insoles, gloves? trousers...?

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 06:28:50 »
Keis heated socks are a must. :bow-blue:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 09:12:08 »
TLP will offer to make a jacket for anyone ..... they guarantee to warm you up  :smirk:
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Online Asmith61

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 17:38:20 »
Well I went out for a ride today to test out the Keis J501 heated jacket
The jacket really lived up to all the reviews that I have read about it, I only had it on the lowest setting in fact after 40 miles I had to turn it off  lol
I rode just over 120 miles through Essex and Suffolk and back,I don’t know why I haven’t bought one sooner  :crazy:

What I did notice today was there was a lot more people about than I thought there was going to be ( Apart from us social distancing riders )  :grin:

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 10:09:13 »
Keis heated socks are a must. :bow-blue:

Haven't tried the socks, but the insoles are a godsend - I've been using the same pair for the past 5 years and they are still going strong.  Got through a few sets of connecting cables  ### but the basic insole is bulletproof. The gloves are nice too - I used the inners for the same time, but finally gave in and bought the proper gloves - mmm toasty :)
It's not paranoia, it's just reality on a finer scale... Strange Days - 1995

To catch a bus - first you must think like a bus  -  Dave - Last year

Offline rus998

• Bike: DL650XTA L6, Vincent Comet
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 02:50:51 »
I have been using a exo heated waistcoat and heated gloves for a few years now. The only problem I have had is that the controller went tits up and exe no longer list it. After a bit of homework I found out that the controller for Oxford heated grips does the job.

Offline STORMY

• Bike: DL1000 A8
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 15:24:20 »
Yesterday I had to run an engineering part from the South Coast to Stansted, set off around 4:00 p.m. temps were around 8c, I used dual carriageways / motorways all the way because of the time constraints (could have used the car but wanted to test my h/bar muffs and couldn’t hang around in potential traffic).
Two light rain showers, but made it in time temps were around 5c on arrival. Found a Costa and necked it down (outside), and then back home around 300 miles round trip (thick end of 6 hours outside).
Final leg of the journey temps had dropped to around 2c heading South down the A3, the muffs were good down to about 5c, my core temp was holding up well but in the end dropped off rapidly, finger tips became a bit numb etc. I wasn’t hanging around the road was empty’ish so holding between 90 - 110 mph on the way home.
Today I purchased a Keis heated jacket & heated under gloves (for use underneath the muffs), I’m not one for riding in deep winter but I reckon you can lose some of the bulk and remain toasty warm and extend the riding season.
Have to say it was a great blast up and back and I was being paid for the privilege so result  :thumb:. Spot lamps / Givi airflow / wild Donkey seat cushion / lowered pegs / bar backs / SW motech gear changer / ultimate addons phone case / Givi bar muffs did the business...........and of course the V Strom 1000 it just gets on with it great bike.
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 15:37:16 »
+ one for the Keis heated jacket (& the wife rates the heated inner gloves).
Regarding the 'losing some of the bulk, definitely. All you need is a long sleeve base layer and your over jacket. The long sleeves are necessary or the heat can be uncomfortable on bare skin. Did you get the (free) controller?
When my wife first tried the heated gloves she didn't think they were working because she could feel no heat from them. After a four hour trip in temperatures just below 10* she decided they must be because she felt no cold in her hands at all.  :thumb:
Mick

Offline STORMY

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 15:49:32 »
 Hello Mick, yes free heat controller! so that persuaded me good to hear you can lose the bulk and stay warm............
But, (always a but lol)
It did cross my mind - what if I rode say a similar distance to yesterday with a base layer, heated jacket etc.............and then at your furthest point from home the whole lot failed  :fix:. They seem reliable but I guess you’d be in for a really cold ride home, probably worth carrying a backup mid layer just in case that happens?

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2 White
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 17:00:03 »
They are very reliable to you'll probably be alright. The only time mine has failed in 8+ years was when the cable connecting me to the bike came undone and got caught in the chain chopping off the connection. That was in the middle of winter and I was on my way to Liverpool, so it was freezing going there and even worse on the way back (it was snowing as I went over the M62). Annoyingly, I'd carried a Keis to Optimate lead as a backup for about 7 years in the jacket pocket, but gave it to my brother the weekend before so he could use his jacket on his second bike  :dl_smiley_banghead:

Offline STORMY

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 18:29:27 »
Cables dangling down, I’ll keep an eye on that thanks! Sounds like that journey is burnt into your memory, I bet it was cold, your brother was on the other hand toasty,  hope he bought you drink as compensation  :thumb:

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 19:06:40 »
The jacket acts as a great mid layer when switched off.  On the trip I mentioned above I had my jacket on the lowest setting but occasionally I switched it off to see how it coped. On the low setting I could feel the heat, when it was off I felt cold but not uncomfortable. I can't remember exactly but the temperature was in single figures (not low single figures).
On the medium setting it was too hot for me.
I have worn it a few times now but I find anything above 10*/12* I won't have it on.
Regarding the cables dangling, I have mine coming out from under the left side of the seat by the tank. Probably 3"/4" long so won't catch anywhere. The connection for the wife exits at the same place with a 3' extension to reach her jacket. That is only there when we are riding and plugged in.
Mick

Offline STORMY

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 01:07:28 »
After a few returns and and adjustments I ditched the under gloves and returned them - far too bulky for me.
In their place I went for the full Keis glove G601 armoured thing,  and the J501RP Jacket.
Took both liners out of textile jacket and to be absolutely frank with you I was sweating my backside off before plugging anything in lol
So I did around 150 miles this evening and when the temps finally got down to single digits, pulled over and plugged in...........low was all I needed and I had to turn that off in the end (just not cold enough).
I briefly gave it the beans, both gloves showing the red indicator, as well as the jacket, it’s a very strange feeling heating up on a motorbike - very impressed  :thumb:

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 11:14:53 »
I've not tried the heated inner gloves but I can understand that they would feel bulky. When Deb wears hers she puts a pair of my gloves on top to 'feel right' but as a passenger that's not a problem.
Glad you like the jacket.  :thumb:
Mick