Author Topic: I've just ruined my bike!!  (Read 8638 times)

Offline strompet

I've just ruined my bike!!
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:17:54 »
Just had a new set of Tourances after running the standard Trailwings, wow what a difference, I have transformed my smooth well handling machine, (DL1000), into a front end wobbling, skittish heap of danger! I wish I had listened to the bloke on here who said stick with the originals!
Having read a lot on different forums, (after the event), it seems that riders are prepared to put up with this wobbling vague handling experience.  I am not I want my old bike back!!
So expensive lesson learnt, and off to get some proper tyres fitted! ###

Offline Hutchie

Re: I've just ruined my bike!!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:01:59 »
100% disagree with you.

Tourance tyres are stable as anything (on a wee, and I can't believe not on a V)

Mine was all over the place however after the tyres were fitted, but that was because the pressures were miles out.

Sort out the tyre pressures. My bike is rock solid 1 or 2 up, loaded or not loaded, fast or slow.

Yes, the bike turns in quicker, but that is how it is supposed to be, and you'll get used to it after 1 decent run.

Trailwings should be banned.

Offline Dodge

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 10:07:55 »
I fitted Tourances a few weeks ago and have run them in for 300 miles, they feel great and rock solid.... maybe it is tyre pressures or wheel balance...
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to Skid in Sidways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Here I am --- What a Ride!"

Offline strompet

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 10:32:21 »
All wheels balanced alligned and pressures checked re checked and checked again, just spoken to someone at Metzeler, who are willing to take the tyre back to check it.
I have also done several hundred miles to bed them in, still no better. Also what about the rumble!!

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 12:04:16 »
Something is definitely wrong, because those are great tyres.

Assuming a dealer/fitter did the tyres for you, I'd also be checking the wheel alignment, fork alignment etc. , because what you describe sounds horrible, and inconsistent with the experience of a lot of other strom riders worldwide.

Hopefully Metzeler will get you sorted out and somehow or other you have got wierd duff tyres.

Offline MARBLE600

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 12:36:47 »
Tourances are a good tyre, as Hutchie says they do steer quicker than the standard deathwings, I made the same tyre swap a few years ago  but from the problems you described and having checked pressures, alignments to be correct your new tyres must be faulty :shrug:
KLV1000 A2H plus Madstad bracket with sports screen, Corbin touring seat,Remus revolution alloy slip ons ,PC3, K&N filter, migsel mount, R&G frame sliders, rox risers, renthal bars, fork brace,carbon fibre rear hugger, goodridge hoses..

Offline kafue

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 16:19:24 »
Am I the only one who has not got a bad word about Trailwings. Have booked a new rear replacement for next Tuesday and asked if the TW's where still for sale. The answer was no, so Battlewing to replace (£146 supply and fitted)

The mileage at present is 13450 plus this weekends ride of about 250 is not bad mileage before being replaced.

On all the bikes I have owned the most I got out of a rear tyre was 7500 miles

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 16:59:14 »
kafue, have you ridden a strom with any other tyres than trailwings on.

If not, don't, you'll be slashing those trailwings off your bike as soon as you can.

The reason they are lasting so long is cos the rubber is hard and nasty.

I for one couldn't get rid of them quick enough those trailwings.

Back tyre spinning up in the dry, letting go with zero warning in the wet.

Front tyre possibly the vaguest I have ever had the misfortune to use, with a profile that doesn't let the bike fall into corners without effort.

And I ain't no fast or hero rider.

Switched to Tourances, and for a day thought the front was bust on my bike, because it tipped in easily, so it felt too loose.

Tourance, Anakee, Road Attack , Trail Attack, ME800 ffs, anything but deathwings ;)

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 17:37:53 »
I had Tourances on my last V-Strom and I really liked them

There may be something wrong with your tyres - get them checked before you have an accident

If you really dislike them that much then put something else on - Its not worth hating your bike for
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline doublevodka

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 19:07:56 »
My mate SgtSmash has the tourances and they are a very nice tyre, mine has a deathwing front (only noticed the other day) and battlewing rear, to me it handles pretty much the same it tips into corners just as easy and never had the tyres let go in the wet, maybe its just me  :shrug:

to be honest though it sounds like either tyre pressures aren't right for you and the bike, try some variations on the recommended ones and get them checked over like everyone has said, in my experience they are a great tyre and I've ridden the one with tourances on a fair bit (had to be sure about strom before buying one ;) )
Alcohol, the cause, and solution to many of lifes problems!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 23:43:23 »
It might be a dumb suggestion, but have you checked that they are the fitted the right way around? There should be an arrow on the sidewall pointing the rotational direction of the tyre.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline strompet

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 16:07:29 »
Thanks for all the advice, have checked correct rotation and all other important factors, having looked at some other websites, (adventure rider and v strom USA), it seems that I am not alone with this problem, others too have had this issue with these tyres on the V Strom 1000.
I am sending the front back to Metzeler as soon as I can, but having now read about others with the same problem, I doubt if it is a faulty tyre.
I just hope those who rave about these tyres haven't had a case of "The Emperors New Clothes" syndrome, and have been swept along by the hype.

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 16:12:49 »
put it this way, I'll buy your tourances off you, I love them.

when I say I'll buy them, I mean for a major discount, cos you haven't exactly done a good job of advertising them on here.

It's a shame, I do feel for you, I'd be gutted if I was in your position, however, I'm about ready to put a new rear tourance on in the next few weeks, to replace the one that has been hammered silly for the past 7000 miles, puncture and all, uphill and down dale, through quarries, woods, fords, more gravel than I ever wish, and even the occassional bit of tar. Tyre is probably good for another 2 or 3 thou, but it is past it's best.

Offline doublevodka

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 22:12:55 »
No emperors new clothes here, not even on my bike so I haven't paid for them and I still rate them ;) sorry you're having a crap time with them but from everything I've seen and ridden they are cracking normally, think you've just been very unlucky  :shrug:
Alcohol, the cause, and solution to many of lifes problems!

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 13:55:49 »
I know you're gutted about your tyres, but because you have a problem with them does not mean that tourances are shyte, 1/2 the people I know who ride bikes have tourances on, or have done in the past, and I've never heard anyone have anything but praise for them.

Just a thought, is it Tourances or those Tourance EXP things, because I have the normal Tourances, and they are fkn ridiculously good on the weestrom.

Offline strompet

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 16:18:18 »
Mr Angry here! Thanks to everyone for all the advice, Hutchie they are the normal Tourances, one of the reasons I bought them was because of all the good stuff written about them, and praise from mates who have them, (although not on the 1000), I have just come back from another 200 miler, and the problem is still there, more specifically now it seems worse at low speeds, between 20-40 especially on deceleration, (seriously you have to work hard to hang on to the bars), also low speed cornering feels really really bad, (like a weaving motion), and have to come really upright and proper slow, below 20 to feel comfortable. On my trip out I took the bike to a different tyre place who checked everything and to them it is fine!
Cheers
Mr Igiveupnow

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 17:39:44 »
Man, that really does sound horrendous, but I would put money on it that it is not your tyres.

If the bike was nearer, I bet we could sort it easy. My money is on twisted forks, 1 leg higher than the other, dire rear wheel alignment or some other hamfisted job when the tyres were changed (hope that doesn't sound cheeky, but there's more wrong here than the tyres not being great)

Fingers crossed for you, If I was in your shoes I'd be going mental with rage worry and all sorts.

Offline Dodge

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 10:11:19 »
You must be gutted as I would be going mental mate... just a thought but has the front wheel been damaged by an incompetant tyre fitter...as this may not be something admitted by the tyre fitting company.... worth getting it checked or asking them to refit them...
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to Skid in Sidways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Here I am --- What a Ride!"

Offline Mikec

• Bike: 2008 K7 1000
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 00:15:12 »
I like the Tourances on my (new to me) 2002 1000. You are aware though, that there are some quite big blocks of rubber whirling round and the grip on the edges can be slightly disconcerting at times. I had some Pirelli Diablo Strada's on my previous TDM 850 which always felt really good to me. I understand that they do them in Strom size. Any one tried them?

Offline Quoman

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 07:32:14 »
yesterday afternoon at about 15.30 I turned into my road from a main road , about 8-10 mph, slight front brake pressure and.........whooooosh, earth sky earth sky, brand new bike laying on its side and me on the floor.
bone dry road, lovely hot day, sticky road surface never had this happen before I can only blame the tyres that come with the bike, Trailwings. think I'm going to go back to Tourance as my BMW loved em!
ARE YOU READY?
3RD JANUARY IS LOOMING, TIME TO BECOME COMPLIANT
http://www.ecuclinic.com