Author Topic: just got Anakee's  (Read 3914 times)

Offline ilenny20

just got Anakee's
« on: January 17, 2011, 15:59:44 »
Got Anakee's fitted today and took the Vee for a 100 mile scrub in session. It maybe psychological, but already the the bike feels better. I think it might like these tyres. They have to be better than the Trail Wings I had just replaced, I had no confidence in them.
Here's to a good years riding.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: just got Anakee's
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:06:00 »
I'll second that, about a good years riding! I'm tempted to get anakees on the bike soon, even though there's plenty life in the trailwings currently on it, its good to hear positive opinions on them...But spent up for a month or two yet!  :bawl:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 19:53:31 »
+1 for Anakee II tyres. I have one on the rear and will put one on the front soon. I'm think I'll be sticking with them for as long as I have the Wee. They have made me much more confident in bad weather than either the Battlewings or Maxxis Presa Detours I had on previously. It seems I might be getting some good mileage out of them too, bonus!
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 08:41:42 »
how much did you pay for them? Never had a problem with Trailwings until now and the front end is going a bit squirmy in the cold/wet after 5000miles (but loads of wear left)
Honda xr125, Bandit 650, v-strom 650 ABS 2001 W650 Versys 1000

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:10:34 »
I paid just under £205 fitted from Bike Tyres Leeds but that was at 17.5% vat
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 09:50:21 »
ta
Honda xr125, Bandit 650, v-strom 650 ABS 2001 W650 Versys 1000

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 17:16:00 »
I get them for £195 a set, fitted & balanced, if I take the wheels in to my local Protyre (that was before the VAT increase though.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline ilenny20

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 20:52:29 »
I'm sat reading the comments on the site and nearly spilt my beer. The reason was Juvecu's response to his Anakee's. He stated that the price he paid included balancing. I cannot remember mine being balanced, I watched the changing procedure and I'm sure 'now' there was no balancing. The bike has done 160 odd miles since getting the Anakee's and to be honest there is no wobbles, strange shuddering or weaving. Do you think I'm lucky that the orginal wheel weights suited the Anakee's or should I go back to dealers and get them to check anyway.
Now I' ve posted this I will get back to my beer - cheers.

Offline badger 1050

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 17:30:03 »
normally they ask if you want them balanced if I fit my own tyres at work I will balance them and they do need weights fitting but I don't think that you would feel the diference if they wasn't
the bike section at work don't balance the wheels they fit to some of the bikes they do again I don't think they get any complaints or problems afterwards

badger1050

Offline ilenny20

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 18:20:18 »
Thanks for reply. As I stated I experiece no problems and hopefully won't, but if I do I will have them checked.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 22:21:31 »
Most modern tyres are faily well balanced off the shelf, my wheels have never been out much with new tyres fitted. There are different schools of thought when it comes to balancing motorcycle tyres. Some just don't do it at all because they don't feel it's needed. 'Back in the day' motorcycles weren't going fast enough for it to be a real problem, now they go much faster and balancing might be needed. You could go with the school of thought to balance your naked rims and then not balancing the tyres if you think the tyres are already well balanced when they are manufactured. If they are unbalanced the extra vibration will stress the other parts of your suspension a little more than with a properly balanced tyre. The extra stress will eventually equate to some maintenance that needs doing (bearings replacement or whatever else.) Most people own and sell a bike before it will ever be an issue. If you aren't riding thousands of miles then you probably won't worry much about a little bit of vibes and you likely won't notice. It's up to you to decide what you want to do. I don't mind paying the extra few quid for the balance, I commute at motorway speeds at least 3.5 hours each weekday so it makes sense for me to do it.

Offline ilenny20

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 21:07:43 »
Went out today with friends for a run to Helmesley, N Yorks. I led the way as I wanted to cut across country rather than the usual routes (all speed no scenery). By the time we got to Helmesley the bikes looked like they had been dipped in a swamp, mud and crap all over. friends not happy at all. The other bikes -fazer 1000 and BlackBird.
The Anakee's are sure footed in wet, extra wet and mud, loads of mud. I think for once I made the right choice.  
Took 30 mins to pressure wash down but well worth the effort.
Plenty BMW GS bikes out and about but still they hardly give you the time of day. Never mind their loss.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 22:12:04 »
Had just about 10k out of my rear Anakee 2 now, figure I'll get another 2-4 out of it. I'm very impressed since the Maxxis Presa Detour I had before only made it to 7100 before it was squared off to the point of becoming a concern. I'll post the final figure I got out of it when I replace it.

Offline Biccy Monster

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 05:14:45 »
I rate them,

I just replaced my back wheel at 6000 but that had load of meat left on it....and a great big gaping hole!!  :angry-tappingfoot:

new Anakee on there now, just in time for the 0515 35 mile commute in the rain to "scrub in!"  :auto-dirtbike:
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer!

Offline WeeStromer

• Bike: DL650 AL2 GLEE, CG125 ES5
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 13:09:24 »
Just ordered mine today, 220 euros for the pair. The only catch is, that I've got to take the wheels off?? I hope it's easyly done?

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 13:18:01 »
If you have a centre/paddock stand it's not much trouble. I have a centre stand and I put it on that, remove the rear wheel, then put a jack under the engine to lift and hold the front and take the front wheel off.

Offline WeeStromer

• Bike: DL650 AL2 GLEE, CG125 ES5
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 15:43:10 »
Thanks for the tip. I've got a rear paddock stand and was wondering how I was going to keep the front up. Using a jack, what a genius!  :clap:
Thanks again, I'll let you know what I think of them.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 16:15:31 »
I have an Anakee 2 on the rear, I think you'll be very happy with them, excellent in the wet and this rear has lasted almost 11k miles now. I will replace the rear soon and will fit an Anakee 2 on the front too then.

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 19:05:38 »
Mymate has just helped me put Anakee2's on mine. First roundabout  :shock:  feels great. Easy tip in and so stable, you can even flick it about with confidence and they're not even scrubbed in yet!!!
They get a big  :thumb:  from me!!

Stu

Front spindle was as dry as a Nuns though  :GRR:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 16:14:39 »
Just a little update, I replaced both front and rear tyres this weekend. I had a Maxxis Presa Detour on the front, it came off with 22437 miles on. The front now has an Anakee 2 on as I am very impressed with the Anakee 2 I had on the rear.

The rear Anakee 2 came off with 15868 miles on it, I replaced it with another Anakee 2.