Author Topic: Hi blokes been sold a lemon need help with a few things  (Read 378 times)

Offline simonbiker

• Bike: DL1000 K2
Hi blokes, well first time I messed up buying a bike new to DLs and bought my self a K2 but now I am under the hood as it were I have now found out problems one being that the idiot didn't know how to remove his exhuast nuts fromt the manifold with out braking them and he has drill them out not well and heli coiled new ones in which are far to deep into the ali and completly off centered..... does any one have the cylinder heads lying around or an engine with semi low mileage on it, can you blokes tell me what year engines will fit my 2002 k2 model so I don't have to feck this bike off for pennies the bloke who sold it is leaving the country and there is no chance of a return

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Re: Hi blokes been sold a lemon need help with a few things
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024, 16:57:08 »
First thing that springs to mind is getting the hole welded ,then redrilling. The second is an oversized bolt with a Timesert.
Assuming they have not drilled through an oil way or similar ,should work :shrug:

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 17:00:16 »
Very not uncommon for those bolts to shear and need helicoiling, stainless into ali and totally exposed to the weather is not a good combo sadly.
I assume he's done something terminal though hence your query.
The engine on the DL1000 first gen went almost completely (if not entirely) unchanged so any engine or cylinder head from 02-10 will work.
eBay breakers are your friend here if you're up for the work involved in just changing the head.

Offline simonbiker

• Bike: DL1000 K2
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2024, 17:21:37 »
Okay at least that is a little less worrying becuase there is a few heads around doing a head change is just out of my reach possibly I can do brakes tyres clutch baskets things like that but a full head change is something I havent done

but I have just had a quote for the work not including parts so need to get down to bolts etc because I am sure a lot are siezed so at least need to get that done

lucky I work for a company that makes wireing looms so Going to make a new one for it

Offline Hessy

• Bike: DL1000 K6
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 09:34:06 »
Hi Simon,
I have a 2002 cylinder head that you would be very welcome to come and pick up.
I'm in Anlaby just near Humber bridge
Regards
Andy