Author Topic: Warranty  (Read 991 times)

Offline alan29

• 200th Member
  • Bike: DL650XT M0
Warranty
« on: April 07, 2021, 09:22:47 »
Sorry if this has been done to death. I did a search .....
I've got a 2020 DL650 that will be coming up to its first service.
Do I have to use a Suzuki official dealer to preserve the warranty? I know they changed the law for cars so you could use non-dealer garages. But as far as I know that was for cars ONLY and didn't cover bikes. My local Suzuki dealer lost their workshop in a fire and as far as I can tell they are in no hurry to re-open it.
Anyone got info/experiences to help?

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
Re: Warranty
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 10:31:28 »
That was my impression that bikes weren't included in the exemption.

Offline alan29

• 200th Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 10:51:45 »
Quote removed

You're right. Its cars only. White Dalton (Bikers lawyers) have this
The short answer is that if you have your bike serviced by a perfectly reputable, fully qualified mechanic using all the appropriate parts and specified fluids, the exemption that applies to cars .... does not apply to motorcycles.

However, there could well be arguments that such a guarantee contract is unfair and if you felt strongly enough about it you could refer the contract to the Court, but if I were you, I would get my servicing done by the franchised dealership as you would have a massive fight on your hands with a well resourced manufacturer. Most dealerships survive on the servicing and clothing sales. The margin on new bikes is genuinely tiny.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 12:23:57 »
Although I do not find it fair can it be argued that you bought the bike knowing that already? If not why didn't you ask?

The service carnet (mine) makes it quite clear.

I bought mine in the full knowledge that it had to be serviced at the dealer I purchased the bike from. The first and second services were done there. Since then the bike's out of warranty so I do all that I can myself.

Whilst I'm firmly behind the OP's opinion the devil IS in the detail and in writing.  :GRR:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 14:42:40 »
The courts are likely to take a view on whether your actions were reasonable in the circumstances should something happen that the warranty would have covered otherwise. Did the dealer close its workshop after you bought it, and are there no other dealers within a reasonable distance? Suzuki list 5 dealers within about 20 miles of Birkenhead as a starting point, and that's not like an unreasonable distance to be expected to travel. It might be different if the sole dealer within 100 miles closed up the week after you bought it.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline alan29

• 200th Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 16:08:55 »
Quote removed

The thing about distances on the web is that they are as the crow flies. Marriots no longer does servicing - workshop fire. Bill Smiths is a good 30 minutes away, and Millennium is almost an hour away.
I will use Bill Smiths because they sold me the bike, and I have not had any bad experiences with them.
But there are closer places with people I know and who's work I trust ........

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 16:20:22 »
Suzuki used to have an FAQ section on their website which said you didn't need to use a dealer to have your bike serviced, though I couldn't see it today. However under the warranty section, it states if your bike came with a 3-year warranty rather than the standard 2-year warranty, the extra year is only available if you use an authorised dealer [which suggests Suzuki are OK with non-authorised servicing for the 2-year warranty]. I'm sure their customer services would confirm.
https://bikes.Suzuki.co.uk/owners/servicing/warranty-and-mx-warranty/

Other brands are different and insist you use their dealers or you invalidate the warranty.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 18:52:12 »
I've got a customer who is a member on here (can't remember his name) and he's got a 2018 650.
He looked into this very subject and discovered after his first service he was in fact allowed to have his bike serviced by any reputable VAT registered workshop as long as genuine parts were used.

However , extended warranties are a different matter ..
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 19:29:18 »
I would think it highly unlikely that Suzuki would write that, or similar, in the guarantee section of the Service carnet which, in my case, has me and the bike details filled out on the day of purchase. UK_Vstrom650 has probably the best general link to any change to the warranty agreement.

You'll have to scratch you head for the name of your customer kwackboy for his account of the subject.  :thumb:

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 19:38:19 »
Of course they won't include it in their warranty section, they want you to keep coming back to be ripped off ...

I've serviced his 650 from its second service ever since .... His 2 year warranty was never affected or needed ...
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 20:06:47 »
Perhaps he'll put his hand up. Thanks kwackboy.

I don't know if this is current today but my carnet has a totally separate contact for any claims on warranty first, not the dealer I bought it from. Is that still the case anyone?  :shrug:

It is France though.....

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 20:24:42 »
I believe that here in the UK we have consumer protection laws that place the duty to remedy faults on the dealer.  Therefore the Warranty is provided to give the dealer some comfort that they e.g.Suzuki, will correct any manufacturing / design faults.  If you buy a tin of beans and find when  you open the tin that the beans are off you go back to the shop. You do not have to complain to Heinz.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 21:44:39 »
Yep, agree that's OK for a tin of beans. I'm sure the manufacturer will be involved if it's a (health) safety issue. However there is usually a general complaints line if you're not completely satisfied with the product irrespective of the supplying shop.

That doesn't answer my question as to whether the first port of call is the dealer or, as here, it's to Suzuki direct it seems.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 10:14:02 »
I think Suzuki will provide the correct answer for servicing using non-dealer servicing and warranty - if I was  dealership, I'd be saying to use me for servicing... however if there's a fault with your bike, you need to go to a dealership and they will liaise with Suzuki for any warranty claims.

I did find my previous link to the FAQs on Suzuki's website, however Suzuki has changed their web address since then and not carries over the FAQ section.

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 18:59:29 »
I've always taken the view that expensive main dealer servicing linked to warranty preservation is a rip off. At the end of the day, you take a gamble....pay out for the service which you can easily and cheaply do yourself but keep your warranty, or assume that your DL650 is a pretty reliable bike unlikely to need a warranty claim, and save yourself a lot of money on servicing. The choice is yours. You've probably guessed which route I'd take!

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2021, 20:17:06 »
For the greater part you are right Tigerjohn. For those uncommon times thopugh when something is wrong then the first thing we look for is who's at fault/who pays. To be fair my first 1000k service was cheap, the second was normal/expected rate. Since then and out of warranty it's self maintenance.

Just an aside, I have had a head gasket done under guarantee on a previous car I owned so not always pay out. (It helps to know what oil looks like in the coolant reservoir.  :icon_wink: )

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 07:21:48 »
Many years on this forum have given me the insight regarding Suzuki warranty claims. Cosmetic several, mechanical and electrical are covered by recalls and therefore not reliant on Suzuki servicing.

Personally I would service the bike myself and know the work had been done, how I expect it to be carried out and be prepared to live with any cosmetic issues.

If you don't feel comfortable servicing your own 'bike, research local independent's and go from there.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 09:53:34 »
If you want that third year warranty it must be serviced at a Suzuki dealer .