Author Topic: Footrest lowering own way  (Read 717 times)

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Footrest lowering own way
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 06:48:15 »
I too had a concern about the plate bend thickness, since reading of the Cosmo foot-peg lowering kit bending, as reported in https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=34896.0. I would guess that using stainless would be a more viable option, but at an extra cost. Even the 316 welding rods are pricey. Still, the idea of this build calls to me as a DIY project.
Jan, what length brake light spring and gear shift extension did you end up using?

Offline Jan Kurek

• Bike: DL1000A L5
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2021, 10:40:45 »
I kept the spring of the brake switch original, I just straightened the end and connected it via a modified cotter pin with a screw coupling from the electrical terminal block. I moved the gear lever on the splined shaft on the engine.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2 White
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 20:31:53 »
@Gert, it's not the Cosmo lowering links that bent in your link.

Good effort Jan - hope they work for you  :thumb:

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2021, 20:41:26 »
I posted the same correction about it not being Cosmo... deleted by admin/mods?

Offline Gert

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2021, 05:40:49 »
Thanks for correcting me on Cosmo foot peg lowering plates not having a problem of the lowering plates bending. My bad. It was the Cymarc foot peg lowering kit, that I had in mind on the lowering plate bending complaint. On the positive side, Cymarc did try to address the failure with complaining party. Again another thread on a bent foot peg lowering plate complaint, but this time without naming the manufacturer, https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=39254.0.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 17:52:28 »
Looks a good job I hope you like them. I have lowering plates on mine but I don't like that they move my feet forward as well as down, I would really like my feet back and inch or two for my long legs.
If you respring or replace the rear shock the pegs don't hit the ground much at all.

Offline Jan Kurek

• Bike: DL1000A L5
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 17:55:25 »
I weigh 135 kg / 297,6 lb and I did not bend COSMO or my products.

Offline Gert

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2021, 06:30:35 »
Perhaps the fellers that have reported of these plate bend issues, care to elaborate on their daily riding and bike mounting style? Do they for any reason stand a lot / excessive weight on the pegs? What road surfaces do they ride? Is it a body mass issue, combined with a riding style / terrain ridden? In their opinion, what have they done with their rides, that others who have the same kit don't normally do, that may be aiding in the foot peg lowering kit plate bending?

Online Bigcats30

• Bike: DL1000 L8
« Reply #28 on: Today at 11:33:45 »
Perhaps the fellers that have reported of these plate bend issues, care to elaborate on their daily riding and bike mounting style? Do they for any reason stand a lot / excessive weight on the pegs? What road surfaces do they ride? Is it a body mass issue, combined with a riding style / terrain ridden? In their opinion, what have they done with their rides, that others who have the same kit don't normally do, that may be aiding in the foot peg lowering kit plate bending?

I did point out on my initial post on my lowering kit bending how I ride.

I ride mostly roads (motorways) and now and then around town ( don't tend to ride daily more of trips and when I'm bored). My last set of lower kit failed on a long weekend road trip to France (they were brand newly fitted) mainly on B roads (If you have been to France their B roads are outstanding)..... they lasted less than 1000 miles (Which is what I did over 4 days and not once off road or jumping or wheelying or any other type of stunt riding) I have a top box on with a bag on the pillion and me riding fairly standard speeds on B roads touring. I couldn't be more boring if I tried.

I rarely stand but do now and then to stretch my legs (it is an adventure bike after all) I am stood for no more than 10-20 seconds....I only do this after an hour or sos riding but always stop after not long after that.

The most I have ridden in a single day is 300miles (with plenty of stopping)

I NEVER carry a backpack due to coming off ages ago and that causing more injury than actually coming off

I wear standard waterproof (Oxford) motorcycle clothing and boots with a Shoei Helmet.

I'm 6ft 2 and can easily mount the bike and sit on the seat with both feet on the floor so I don't need to stay on the pegs when I stop to balance myself.

I weigh 20 stone but Cymarc told me that shouldn't be any issue at all

again this is an adventure bike so things should be built accordingly for that style of bike surely (you wouldn't put road biased tyres on if you always went off road)

Please ask any other questions you may think would explain why 5mm alloy plates would bend....because the 10mm ones I got from Cosmo haven't done so far (but I haven't covered the same amount of miles though)

I torque them as per the Suzuki specified settings and use loctite..... I have a very good understanding of mechanical things and have worked on engines etc for many years (however mostly diesel)
Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do or die.