Author Topic: Full exhaust system 1000  (Read 1699 times)

Offline QCC

• Bike: DL1000 K7
Full exhaust system 1000
« on: October 13, 2020, 16:48:00 »
Hello Everybody, need your help on this. I've recently purchased a V Strom 1000, 2007 Reg. Without going into too much detail, but needless to say dealership are wiping hands of my issue, where is the best place to get a full exhaust system - that won't cost me the earth. Thanks in advance for your help on this .

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Full exhaust system 1000
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 18:23:38 »
Hello Q

What's your issue with the exhaust. I just pulled and refitted the complete system on mine and there's not really a huge amount to go majorly wrong, although mine is after market from the collector back. That being said, there are some good second hand parts sites based on the continent, Boonstra always have decent nick exhausts listed for DLs at prices much less likely to cause you a heart attack than buying new. If you have all the parts then the system itself isn't hard to work on as long as the front down pipe bolts come undone and you don't need to touch the rear cylinder down pipe.

Offline QCC

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 17:06:32 »
Thanks for your reply. The situation is, I purchased the bike 4 months ago, the dealer has said the bike was fine when I purchased it, therefore not going to do anything about the exhaust. Although I noticed it was becoming louder, so took bike to local garage, who gave it the once over for me ( I know nothing about bikes - put key in, if its starts I ride ...... if it don't, I ring local garage, lol).
 They looked at the exhaust and have found a 'bodge job' has been done on it......with exhaust putty and a jubilee clip. If looking at bike from rear, over the tyre, one can see the exhaust with putty and the jubilee clip (I'm going to guess that's the rear down pipe!). The garage has suggested a replacement exhaust -which they are happy for me to arrange and they would fit - so here we are..... Any help / suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers Q

Online Rixington43

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 17:37:36 »
Hello Q

Any chance of uploading a photo or several?
My suspicion would be it's the same issue as I, and many others, have had.
There is a sleeve gasket between the rear down pipe and the collector pipe it slots in to. The original exhaust clamp fails and this allows exhaust gasses to leak past which burns it away to nothing. This will cause a noisy droning exhaust and potentially shocking fuelling and economy. If you have after market cans like mine then it will also lead to nerve shattering explosions on over run :)
I tried the putty and clamp fix myself for a week long tour I had planned, the putty lasted less than a day so you did well at 4 weeks.
Fitting a new gasket and exhaust clamp will fix the issue if it's the same as mine. I went belt and braces and replaced the forward gaskets as well since removal of the front pipe is required to drop the collector box. Even with new gaskets and full stainless clamps for all connections, my parts bill was maybe £50.
Of course there could be more at work here and photos would help diagnose but, since the exhaust system is stainless, replacing it wholesale seems very unlikely to be needed.

Offline QCC

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 16:12:25 »
Thank you yet again for your help with this issue. I shall take some photos over the weekend and then if you could take a look that would be excellent.
Like I say, I know nothing about bikes, just ride them. I really like the V STROM, just a pity that I might have been sold something that.......well maybe something that was overpriced and a sloped shoulder dealer......We all learn from everyday mistakes.

But, thank you once again and I shall upload some photos over the weekend. Your help muchly appreciated.

Online Rixington43

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 16:57:01 »
No worries.

If you can get someone to help out then get your hand in just above that joint (it's a fiddle but possible) and fire the bike up, you'll likely feel even a minor leak. Get your mitt away sharpish though as the whole area gets red hot faster than you think it's going to (speaking from experience). Sooting or browning on the rear shock spring is another sure sign it is or has been blowing by.

Offline cairnspj

• Bike: DL1000 K3
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 21:19:23 »
My suspicion would be it's the same issue as I, and many others, have had.
There is a sleeve gasket between the rear down pipe and the collector pipe it slots in to. The original exhaust clamp fails and this allows exhaust gasses to leak past which burns it away to nothing. This will cause a noisy droning exhaust and potentially shocking fuelling and economy. it will also lead to nerve shattering explosions on over run :)
I went belt and braces and replaced the forward gaskets as well since removal of the front pipe is required to drop the collector box. Even with new gaskets and full stainless clamps for all connections, my parts bill was maybe £50.

Thanks for posting this comment, It really helped me see I'm finally on the right track, I had just guessed this out as the cause of the FI light/back firing and when I saw this, Wish I'd seen it sooner.