Author Topic: Dales Dalliance  (Read 189 times)

Offline Fritz

• Bike: DL650 K9
Dales Dalliance
« on: September 20, 2020, 16:51:49 »
Great forecast yesterday so decided a local spin would be nice, be quiet enough now... :smirk:

Richmond to pick up some winter walking boots that were resoled at Altberg (excellent job) pick up my old Hogg Lites that were 'beyond repair' and will live life out as plant pots in retirement. Sadly I ordered by replacement Hogg Lites at wrong point, ordered in Feb but there has never been chance to get them made since...could be quite a wait  :icon_no:

Great back roads up to there and if you're stopped in right place (not today due to roadworks lights be in different location) at the junction you get one of the finest views in country as you look down Frenchgate across town.

Post Altberg more minor (very) to Smallways and the A66 briefly to pick up the Stang, a great route, bleak in wrong weather but fine today, little traffic and even plenty of friendly motorists.

On up to Tan Hill with mature (I don't feel 'mature but am nearer 60 than owt) bikers wobbling all over road so carefully passed.

Tan Hill barking....absolutely mobbed, campervans, cars, bikes, couple of tents and probably more people than I've even sin in height of summer...move on briskly, not for me thanks. Too many fond memories to linger today.

Down to Keld and the views over to three peaks etc were stunning.

In fact, I nearly forgot about the disappearing sharp right (where pic is) whilst admiring distant views  :shy:

Offline Fritz

Re: Dales Dalliance
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 16:56:09 »
Wobbling bike approaching so off again before getting caught up and on towards Buttertubs through the nightmare of Hawes...is it Bank Holiday Monday  :shrug: and out to Gayle and Outershaw. It had be bedlem down there on a sunny day but pleased to discover all good, all the better as I had a chill pill  :)

Offline Fritz

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 16:58:52 »
Anyone watching the latest All Creatures Great and Small - a great and comfortable adaptation - may be familiar with lots of scenery hereabouts.

It is truly fantastic

Rather sad to see what must be Ash Die Back. Not really seen, but I guess that's what is making these tress so unhappy  :shrug:

Offline Fritz

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 17:04:41 »
Again surprisingly, the run down to Kettlewell was pleasant and not as mobbed as expected, back over Park Rash which really is a bastard of a climb...even with an engine...and all the more tricky as freshly surface dressed.

The onward via Horse House to the A684 is beautiful and the A684 is a great road if you know it well and it's not heavily trafficked.

A great day out...130 miles of riding. Amazed just how many people are about, but all congregated in the honeypots, much, much busier than usual for the time of year.

Considering current situation its first time we've ever been out with a flask and cake...but we didn't take deckchairs or the papers... :whistle:

Offline bsaboy

• Bike: bsa
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 18:19:33 »
Great route ,know it well.Yes Hawes definitely one to be missed this time of year.