Author Topic: Rain-X  (Read 384 times)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, Yam XJ600n '96, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Rain-X
« on: June 03, 2020, 13:26:49 »
One of the blokes in work swears by the stuff on his car windows and MX goggles.

They do a normal glass version or a plastic one.
I bought the plastic one as I wanted it to go on the outside of the bike helmet visors and bike screen.

It's designed to let the water just bead up and run off in the wind.

It does seem to work well.
I did a fair bit of wet riding before lockdown and it does what it says on the tin/bottle.

Pour a little on a soft cloth, wipe on and when dry buff off in circular motion.

I don't know if it's safe on the inside of visors, many these days have anti fog coatings, mine do and I can't clean them with anything other than water and a sponge.

Ride Coordinator

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
Re: Rain-X
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 14:33:21 »
Which reminds me.... I have a bottle I never used.
Another lockdown job...

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 15:59:04 »
Not sure if they've changed the formula but I'd be careful with that stuff, especially on car windscreens. I tried some not long after I started driving. I slathered it all over the windscreen of my Ford Orion and marvelled at the water just running off. Lovely.  Then one day it was drizzling and the water didn't bead and run off so no choice but to use the wipers. All fine and dandy until night fell and found that the wipers had scratched all the coating and every time another car's headlights or a street light shone on the screen you couldn't see clearly because of the scratches. I couldn't get the stuff off quick enough. I tried all sorts to get it off and think the petrol on a rag was the eventual winner. It may work a treat on a visor but after my experience as a teenager has scarred my memory forever.

Buyer beware!

Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato. Not Jason, the other one.

Offline Ticker

• Bike: 2019 - DL1000 AL8
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 08:35:09 »
Pledge furniture polish beads the water off nicely too. The only drawback is that it doesn’t last awfully long.

Mrs Ticker caught me polishing my helmet a while ago and was asking what the hell I was doing!!!  :shy:

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: 2015 BMW F800GS Adventure. An old Honda CB500s
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 20:12:02 »
Pledge and Mr sheen ....  :bow-blue:

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 20:38:48 »
Agreed Kwackboy, they work a treat on screens too.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato. Not Jason, the other one.