Author Topic: GIVI GPS MOUNTING BAR  (Read 238 times)

Offline Colinters948

• Bike: DL650XGT
GIVI GPS MOUNTING BAR
« on: January 11, 2020, 15:51:52 »
Anyone have one of these fitted and if so would you recommend it?

Cheers

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: GIVI GPS MOUNTING BAR
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 22:44:52 »
I bought one, fitted it, rode round the block, then took it off. I can see why people like them as it does put the Sat Nav in a very easy to view position, but for me personally I found it too intrusive. Most of my riding is bimbling round back lanes, so I'd rather see the view than the Sat Nav, but if I was doing a long trip I could definitely see the benefit. 

I keep meaning to put it up for sale as it's sat bagged up on the bench ever since I took it off, so let me know if you're interested.

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 18:21:15 »
Been wondering on the advantages of having the phone mounted(or Sat Nav) where I can see the actual map whilst riding? at the moment I use google maps with instructions through the bluetooth kit in the helmet, I also prefer a good paper map for an overall view,
reading the current issue of Ride magazine where they recommend phone mounts got me thinking, I have an old cosmo ram ball mount that fits behind the Givi airflow screen but I have never used it.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2 White
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 20:23:49 »
I like having the Satnav above the instruments and don't find it too intrusive. In fact if I'm using it then I tend to use it as a speedometer too to save me glancing down. I only use it to go places where I don't know though as it does create a bit more wind noise.
I think mine is a SW one but assume it's similar to the Givi.

Offline Colinters948

• Bike: DL650XGT
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 14:14:29 »
Simon
How much are you selling it for?

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 17:54:27 »
I think I paid about £40 delivered for it, so, say £30 delivered? It's a reasonable weight so it'll take more than a first class stamp! It has one mark on the bar, in the middle, where I held it with a pair of water pump pliers to under do it. (Having read someone somewhere say they had problems with it rotating I did it up rather tight! And then had no problems with it rotating but it was bloody hard to undo the screws at each end!). The mark would be covered by whatever sort of ram mount you clamp to it to attach the Sat Nav, so it won't show.

Offline Mep

• Bike: DL1000GT K8
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 14:58:35 »
I mount my phone to the bar behind the screen in an Ultimateaddons case as seen in Ride. I also have their wiring kit, both of which are excellent. I like the view of the screen above the clocks as its still in your line of sight and a minor glance down to see it in detail.

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 15:11:45 »
Yes I like the looks of the Ultimateaddons phone case, think I'll wait till I get my mobile upgraded.