Author Topic: Chain replacement kit/brake lines questions  (Read 145 times)

Offline Ovidiu

• Bike: DL650 K7
Chain replacement kit/brake lines questions
« on: April 14, 2019, 01:03:23 »
Hello gang,

My bike (DL650 ABS '07) needs a bit of maintenance and I plan to do it myself, hope someone can help with the questions below.

The front brake has sticky points during first press in the morning, I plan to change pads, clean calipers and replace the brake fluid. That should fix it, but being over 10 years old now, I think the manufacturer recommends the brake lines to be replaced. On cars I never did replace them if they looked good, it's a bit more important on the bike, do you think I should replace even if they look OK?

Second, I would like to replace the chain and sprocket. There are some options from DID on eBay, however it's unclear for me if the chains always come with a master link or I need to order one separately. I currently have my eye on a 'silent' kit, this one here.
Do chains come with master links?
Has anyone tried that 'silent' kit? Is it worth it?

Thank you!

Offline john storrie 69

• Site Donator
  • Suzuki owner since 1968
  • Bike: DL250 . GT750A from new 1976. Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
Re: Chain replacement kit/brake lines questions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 14:03:17 »
Hello, Ovidiu.
On the chain I'd say go for it, just viewed your link, the firm is a very reputable one, been in business for many, I used to have a trader account with them, as for the description silent chain, I've never heard of that one before... Other than the fact that DID says it runs quietly.
As for changing brake lines etc, see earlier post from one of the other blokes, then have a think do I need to!.
On Fragrant Cloud
Old bikers never die.
They just FART and dissapeare into the sunset.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650 K9
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 17:33:46 »
The”silent chain” bit is simply both sprockets have a rubber cushion either side for the chain to run on, and yes it really does quieten the chain down.
Ian Mc.

Offline Ovidiu

• Bike: DL650 K7
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 14:44:00 »
Thank you Ian and John,

Gave M&P a call and they told me that all DID chains are delivered with a master link that need to be riveted. Finally I decided to go for the 'silent sprockets'. Don't think it will improve the overall noise on the bike since the engine is quite noisy, however those sprockets had some information about their manufacturer, 'normal' ones had no mention. Will update after I fit them.

As for the brakes I've decided to hold on replacing the hoses until I have a good look at the master cylinders/hoses/calipers.

Offline Botond

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 17:19:24 »
That’s looks pretty bad. They have managed to fit on the right way on this one.
It’s so hard to find a reliable garage....