Author Topic: Front Brake fluid change  (Read 1229 times)

Offline paulo

• Bike: DL650A L2
Front Brake fluid change
« on: April 18, 2018, 21:40:43 »
Hi, just done a front brake fluid change on my 650, but have a very slight weep from the reservoir cap. I've topped up to just under the coarse mark at the front of the reservoir (opposite side to the glass). Does anyone know if this is the top level marker? Is there a vent, have I over filled, or over tightened the cap. I can see the bubble OK at the top of the glass. Any ideas most welcome.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
Re: Front Brake fluid change
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 22:11:26 »
There should be a vent . Are you sure its not a bit of excess fluid on the rubber ..? If you have tightened the cap correctly and the level is OK let it be it should stop.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline paulo

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 22:18:26 »
I can't see any obvious vent. Is it possible to overtighten the top cap and deform the rubber membrane do you think

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 22:24:32 »
I don't think there is any danger in over tightening the cap. From memory there should be a plastic inner cap that helps locate the rubber seal correctly. In some cases the inner rubber can go out of shape but it's rare .
I don't think you have any worries , your brake will still work OK and the weep of fluid should stop .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline chris1200

• Bike: 2008 V Strom 650.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 15:09:04 »
A real common cause of this is very simple. When you take the top off and place it down somewhere you have to turn it upside down (obviously). When you come to refit it the fluid on the rubber has now seeped to the edges. You tighten it up and squeeze the fluid out. It now looks like its leaking. Anyway, just a thought.

Offline paulo

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 21:53:47 »
Yep, you were right fellas, excess fluid on rubber membrane. Cleaned off, refitted all OK. Feel a bit of an idiot really, but not for first time. Thanks all