Author Topic: Ideal Pannier Size  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Mattdavies1982

• Bike: DL650 L5
Ideal Pannier Size
« on: April 11, 2018, 13:06:56 »
Hello I'm looking at finally getting around to buying some panniers ready for the summer bike trip.

I'm just looking for bait of advice around sizes to compensate for the exhaust.

Has anyone got any opinions on either 2 33L. Or 1 33L and 1 46 for the clutch side.

Many thanks

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Ideal Pannier Size
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 15:27:14 »
I went for the 33 & 46ltr. The 33 on exhaust side evens things up regarding the width of the bike. It does make the bike wide but I think it's manageable. I also have a 52ltr top box (looks massive but I don't think its out of place on the bike.
I went for the Givi Trekker style but if I was buying now I might go for the Outback ones, they are slightly larger or even the Dolomiti style, although I haven't seen them in the flesh yet. (other manufactures are available)

If you can, go have a look at some in the flesh, try and decide what you will be carrying and how much space you need, but don't go too big or you will end up taking things you don't need!! After 5 years of touring we now carry about 1/2 of what we did on our first trip.
There's loads out there, do some research, find out what you want then check prices, you can get good discounts if you look around and don't rush in to buy. 
Good luck.   
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 18:53:57 »
Your question begs more questions !! like Are you touring solo or two up ? Do you intend going for long weekends ? or  are you going to tour for a month at a time. If you are two up is your pillion female (it does make a huge difference).. that's just for starters !!!  :eusa-doh:

Offline Mattdavies1982

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 11:22:56 »
Thanks for the reply. I already have a 52l top box which I am big fan of.
The Touring will be solo, probably for around 9 days. Around that the odd one weekend over summer around the UK and Ireland. I did the same period last year with just the top box and a bag strapped onto the pillion seat which was bit pain having to carry round every time we stopped.

I like the look of the Dolomiti, but looks like they only do 36 each which will make the bike unsymmetrical. I think its a good shout to try and find somewhere to have a look in person.

Cheers

Matt

Offline Freddyfruitbat

• Bike: BMW R1200RS
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 15:45:56 »
I have a question.

Would it be fair to say that in general, if you buy OEM panniers and racks designed specifically for your model of bike rather than cheaper generic third-party kit, you're more likely to end up with more luggage capacity and/or a less bulky pannier set-up, as it can take into account the specific contours of the machine, exhaust system etc?

(I just have a top box and tank bag myself!)
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 15:51:36 »
Don't worry about the offset, it's only about 70mm with Givi gear.
See here....
http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=22347.msg212974#msg212974

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 17:12:07 »
On my old Wee I've had:
E21's - great for solo trip up to a week (not Camping) No wider than the handlebars.
OLD E36's great for longer trips but still compact. Only 2 inches each side wider than the bars.
Kapps K960's (44ltr each) wide bulbous things- great for long trips, 2up tours and camping in the uk where you'll need shorts, full thermals and waterproof for each day.

The K960's made the Wee 1.25m wide... I never ever touched anything filtering.
I've even pestered a VFR800 with small tail pack out of my way has he kept slamming on in front for gaps I got through fine.
If you happen to forget wide panniers are there, that's when it's going to hurt.

At the end of the day, buy the most suitable luggage for your needs.
It's no good someone saying yes "Get the Trekkr 33's as the bike will stay narrow" if you can't get everything you need in it.

The Varadero now has the same boxes mounted on it and is even wider at 1.3m with the K960's. They are equidistant from the centre line of the bike as I have twin cans on the Vara, but the Wee's were wider on the Right, narrower on the Left.
It never bothered me as the set up worked and I'm not a person what gives a s### what anyone else thinks.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 17:33:47 »
These are my Givi panniers and box. Yes it's wide but you do have prominence on the road!

I do two up, usually for a long weekend but usually a week+ in the Summer. Need as much space as possible as we camp a lot.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 17:36:57 »
Had just wrote and proposed these http://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/3157-kappa-k22n-side-cases-monokey/ then went to post & Mr.Diver had beaten me to it!!

I had a pair of the E21's on my VFR (hope I wasn't the one you couldn't get past Mr.D) and the wife & myself did a couple of week long trips (B&B) and found they were adequate with top box & tank bag. If you're solo Matt I reckon they could be a good call. I like them symmetrical but as stated does it really matter?
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 18:15:12 »
I have the 33/46 (52) Trekker setup on my bike though I hardly use the side cases. They are great and take loads but are quite wide, though it never stopped me from filtering.

The wife & I went camping in the South of France for 7 days using these, though we did have to strap the tent to the top of the top box & the chairs to the top of the side cases...
Here's some pics.
Edit: I have the removable panniers rails too

Offline Griff2

• Bike: DL1000 L6

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 22:50:59 »
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline Mattdavies1982

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 17:51:42 »
Top replies, cheers really helpful.

The last link also great seeing all the different combos.

Cheers