Author Topic: Thinking of joining you here, which adventure bike...?  (Read 4688 times)

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Thinking of joining you here, which adventure bike...?
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 22:16:16 »
Well, I test rode a Tracer today along with a Z900 (my brother was on the Z & we swapped part way round our 2hr run).

First impressions on the Tracer, that engine = wow! That is fantastic. Absolutely shifts, though STD mode is much better than A mode. Never felt the need to move above 4th gear and spend most of it in 3rd gear. I'm also led to believe it's easy to be approaching 90mph before you notice how fast you are going, though fortunately having been told of that I was able to ensure that didn't happen...  :shy:

It has a slipper-clutch, not sure I tested it but down shifts seem smooth with no jerkiness. The seating position is OK (seat is a bit firm) although standing up on the pegs isn't as comfortable as on the Glee (though I have peg lowering & handlebar risers on the Glee). The riding position is more sporty than the Glee, reminds me of my brothers 2015 Versys & you feel more perched on it rather than sat in it.

Suspension was a bit firm over some of the back roads, and going over speed bumps in a 20mph zone was almost like having no suspension. Not sure what setting the bike had on the rear shock, but I think I'd be looking for a softer set up. (Did the route on the Glee afterwards, and much preferred the Glee's suspension).

Brakes were much better than the Glee's though that doesn't take much.

Possibly the worst thing about the Tracer was the lack of wind protection, as mentioned by FR. Am mindful I may be spoiled by the Givi Airflow, but the Tracer screen had a weird setup where it was ridiculously noisy to the point where I couldn't hear my brother through the Bluetooth headset unless I crouched down behind the screen,  and it directed air to the side of my chest so I felt the cold a bit more. In fact I'd say the Z900, which had no screen, was better than the Tracer. The caveat to this though is I didn't try adjusting the screen position as I was too busy enjoying the ride, so maybe that could have helped?

All in all, I really rate the engine and could live with the Tracer but it hasn't left me thinking 'I definitely want one' or 'I'm going to buy one' or 'this is the right bike to swap the Glee for'. I'm not ruling the Tracer out but am going to try other bikes first. (I'm also not sure I would trade a Veek for one if I owned it).

Incidentally, the Z900 was also a great bike, and the riding position was surprisingly comfortable, though I'm not 100% convinced I'd feel the same after 6hrs on the bike, especially if I had to get back on it the following day to repeat. If I was only riding 1,000-2,000 miles a year, without touring I may have one of them, but I ride much more so not the correct type of bike.

Think the next bikes to ride will be an Africa Twin, possibly a Versys 1000 and maybe a BM/KTM...?

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 07:21:19 »
Top post. :thumb:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 09:08:02 »
I bet you 50p that you love the Africa Twin.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Petstep

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 17:11:39 »
Let us know how you get on with the Africa Twin.

What about the Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport?

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 17:58:36 »
You have to love that triple  :thumb:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!