Author Topic: What have you done with your bike today?  (Read 239104 times)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: What have you done with your bike today?
« Reply #1240 on: January 01, 2020, 16:56:41 »
Well done. Should have done mine too, it is quite dirty after yesterdays trip. However as an old retired chap I couldn't manage two days on the run of getting chilled to the bone!!!
It will have to wait a couple of days.  :)
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #1241 on: January 01, 2020, 19:47:41 »
I was lovely and warm yesterday and I cleaned the bike in my HEATED and insulated garage today.

HEATED Josh, HEATED, you savage. :violence-smack:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #1242 on: January 02, 2020, 15:30:24 »
I spent some time today in my insulated garage as well: still considering heating options, but fancy a small log burner.

Today's job was to finally get around to fitting a DRL strip that I'd bought a few months ago to Katie. It's described as being Audi R8 style: just hope it doesn't force me to ride like a total walloper... (that's a gentleman's appendage to those not of this dialect). I felt that some of the dashing looks of the newer KTMs could enhance mine and this was a fairly cheap option.

It's a 160mm long curved strip of 8 LEDs that fits with the line of the lower headlight so it went on there:

Not massively bright compared to the still working Kirky lights, but it has a reasonable effect overall:
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline TLPower

« Reply #1243 on: January 02, 2020, 18:32:51 »
I can't remember the last time I saw TWO working Kirky lamps.  :)

A small log burner sounds interesting....
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline S2Rgar

• Bike: DL1000 L9 Black - DL650 AL5 Red (SOLD) - DL650 AL3 Grey (SOLD) Suzuki GSX-S1000
« Reply #1244 on: January 02, 2020, 22:34:15 »
Sold it. (Tiger 800)

Very soon there will be a new (to me) GSX-S1000 sitting in my shed beside my V-Strom.

Is there some sort of 'Suzuki Fan Boy' club I can join now  :grin: No idea how it's happened but here we go into 2020 with two very different one litre bikes  :shrug: that's a first for me.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #1245 on: January 07, 2020, 23:16:20 »
Kicked it, swore a bit and told it on sunday if it decides to still piss around it'll be 5ltrs of unleaded and a match. :icon_batterup:
Never ever buying another Yamaha!

It's been iffy changing down the box for the last few weeks. Jumps forward when going neutral to 1st. And now is dragging the clutch with the cable taught and not able to pull the lever all the way to the bar.

Me thinks the push rod thrust washer has disintegrated.  :dl_smiley_banghead:

There goes 3ltrs of oil that went in in December, new cover gasket and the thrust washer.
AND another few hours of my life messing around with bag of $hit  :bawl:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mr Nick

• Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #1246 on: January 09, 2020, 19:14:25 »
I've had 2nd thoughts about the log burner and I've found an alternative that provides for instant heat & no mess:
https://www.banggood.com/All-In-One-12V-8KW-Diesel-Air-Heater-Car-Parking-Heater-p-1561523.html?rmmds=myorder&ID=6157199&cur_warehouse=UK

Up to 8kW clean dry heat and only needs a small exhaust exit hole rather than a bigger flue etc. It'll happily run on red diesel or heating oil and there's a family run oil supplier 5 minutes away that I can see about a fuel source. With a quoted consumption rate between 0.1 & 0.24 L/h it shouldn't cost much to run for a few hours at a time while I'm out working. Worth a try anyway.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #1247 on: January 09, 2020, 20:26:32 »
That's a good idea. I have 12v battery bank with lights in the garage, but not mains supply.

That could work nicely for me too.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #1248 on: January 09, 2020, 22:46:00 »
40W to run isn't a heavy draw on your batteries either: I should see it middle of next week & I'll let you know how it goes.
I'm just cautious about how much 8kW will raise the temp in what I think is a 12' by about 20' garage from memory. I did insulate the roof and there's no draughts after replacing the old door with the thick sectional job, so it should build up over a wee while. Even if it's not a huge amount, it'll still be better than nothing.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline TLPower

« Reply #1249 on: January 10, 2020, 05:17:44 »
8kw will be plenty Mr Nick, 3kw sorts my modest 9x20 no problem. Kerosene would be my choice, it burns hotter, cleaner and best of all it's cheaper. It's also brilliant as a parts cleaner. :thumb:

Walter Rohrl.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #1250 on: January 10, 2020, 08:13:14 »
Recieved a few parts for the investigation of the clutch on the XJ600.
New gasket and the thrust bearing.

It's been a while since Yamaha shipped parts in these packs.

New Old Stock, I think Noah used these yam parts on the ark.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #1251 on: January 11, 2020, 15:32:57 »
The heater just arrived and there's a couple of observations straight away that anyone else considering one needs to know.

1: There's no battery in the remote control - it needs a 27A 12v battery which I had as it's what my doorbell uses.  :thumb:
2: The 'air filter' supplied is obviously a high performance variant as the foam goes around the outside of the filter body and the air goes through the big hole in the middle...  :shrug:  I've just ordered a 25mm pit bike filter for £4.50 to use instead.

Instructions are standard Chinese: they describe assembling the separate units and mounting things that are already in the casing. No drawing which clearly states which openings in the bottom are the inlet & exhaust - the same principle applies as the heated air: inlets at one end, exhausts the other.
I think the salient parts are fill the tank, switch it on & see what happens. If it doesn't fire up within a couple of minutes first time, try again while it pumps the fuel through.

In terms of routing the pipework, I'm working on the idea that the hot exhaust goes through the cutout at the rear of the unit, but I'm less sure about the inlet pipe. There's not really enough space for it to go the same way, and the only other cutout goes into the casing, and there's no space in there for it go anywhere. I don't like the idea of it just hanging out the side, so I'm going to think about what to do.

I'll pick up a few litres of paraffin from the garden place to get me going & have a go at installing it tomorrow.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #1252 on: January 11, 2020, 16:29:17 »
Took a look at the XJ600 today.

Clutch cover off I could instantly see some rusty fling from the gap around the push rod.  :fix:

Off cam the pressure plate and yep there's bits of bearing all over the inside of the boss.

Cleaned all the rust left overs of bearing out and reassembled the clutch. Due to the cold wet weather and only riding this bike the 5 miles to work and back there was quite a bit of emulsified oil on the inside of the clutch cover. So cleaned that out and checked the clutch arm bearings while I was there.

Cleaned all the old gasket off and new one in place and all bolted up.

A short test ride proved that I was all together correctly and I can once again change gear  :happydance:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #1253 on: January 11, 2020, 16:34:56 »

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #1254 on: January 11, 2020, 17:30:07 »
@ Mr Nick
I watch with interest how you get on with your new heater  :thumb:

Offline PapaSmurf

• Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #1255 on: January 11, 2020, 18:05:59 »
2: The 'air filter' supplied is obviously a high performance variant as the foam goes around the outside of the filter body and the air goes through the big hole in the middle...  :shrug:  I've just ordered a 25mm pit bike filter for £4.50 to use instead.

"PLEASE NOTE" This is not a filter it is a silencer!

Do NOT put a filter in this inlet as it does not need one and would restrict the air flow and cause dangereous fumes from incomplete combustion.

Please for your own safety if you do not understand the workings of this heater get it set up by someone who does.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #1256 on: January 11, 2020, 20:34:38 »
@Mr Nick, the last time I saw something like that was on Apollo 13. Tom Hanks built it to return to Earth.

Walter Rohrl.

Online StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #1257 on: January 11, 2020, 22:30:23 »
3d printing a couple of retaining lugs that had given up.
Be interested to see how they handle the vibrations..

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s & SH300i
« Reply #1258 on: January 12, 2020, 13:38:01 »
Cleaning the GSA today....

Faze 1, Jet washed all the road grime off ready for Faze 2, back in the garage for the massive task of cleaning every single nook and bloody cranny, believe me there's lots  :dl_smiley_banghead:
I'm normally quite regimental when it comes to cleaning my bikes but I dread it with this bike... in fact, this should be in the moaning section ..
 lol lol
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #1259 on: January 12, 2020, 14:01:31 »
The strom was straightforward to clean, not so many nooks for dirt to get in.

The Varadero has so many pipes, clips and inaccessible places you just can't get your hand in.
I dread needing to give it a proper clean.

The GSX is so easy to clean. But it needs to be cleaned after ever ride or watch the engine casings and forks corrode.

Ride Coordinator