Author Topic: What have you done with your bike today?  (Read 239122 times)

Online Ridaz

• Site Donator
  • Bike: Africa Twin 2017, TTR 250 2004, VF 750F-D Interceptor 1983
Re: What have you done with your bike today?
« Reply #660 on: August 17, 2018, 11:55:42 »
 :thumb: I think they are working through more claims than they can handle right now.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #661 on: August 17, 2018, 13:05:12 »
There was always a massive back order for wheels with Honda. Sometimes going back months. Speak to Honda customer services uk. They will light a fire under the dealer.
The spokes have always been stainless, but they have upped the stainless grade twice now and are still having issues. Problem is most owners are treating the bikes like they would with alu wheels and not cleaning the spokes meticulously.
Some do and yet they still corrode.

If you use high grade stainless they will be too brittle and snap. Honda just don't seem to be able to get the correct alloy.

They should do what Yamaha used to do and resin coat the spokes.

Ride Coordinator

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #662 on: August 17, 2018, 15:16:31 »
@Ridaz it's usually the blithering idiot on the KTM thing that brings your average speed down, leading you down BOATs and freshly chipped lanes. :violence-smack:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Online Ridaz

• Site Donator
« Reply #663 on: August 18, 2018, 18:26:34 »
Got Tigerman's old Ducati on the road for the first time in 6 years :)

More work to do but its looking good.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #664 on: August 18, 2018, 18:56:27 »
Wow, looks like new! I suppose that's the idea though!  :thumb:
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline TLPower

« Reply #665 on: August 18, 2018, 20:01:19 »
Put a sound clip up, put a sound clip up.

FFS put up a sound clip Ridaz, that thing sounds mega. :lala:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #666 on: August 18, 2018, 20:19:54 »
Took a GTR1400 out for an hour, it's not for me, the current stable residents are safe for now.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Online Ridaz

• Site Donator
« Reply #667 on: August 18, 2018, 20:50:43 »
Put a sound clip up, put a sound clip up.

FFS put up a sound clip Ridaz, that thing sounds mega. :lala:

Try here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kPDgGD5CN5TOpmBs9NkhvklET7sT-kKu

Offline TLPower

« Reply #668 on: August 18, 2018, 21:07:42 »
This pleases me.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #669 on: August 18, 2018, 22:26:52 »
That sounds sublime!
Might have to sort one of my tuned sdr1290,that has a sound too...

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #670 on: August 19, 2018, 19:16:28 »
Dragged the Varabeast out from it's slumber to give it a little spruce up before next weekends West Wales gathering and the bugger was very hard to push... Flat rear.  :bawl:
No puncture but the bead leaks I knew about have go a lot worse in the last week. I had pumped it up last Sunday and today less than 10psi in it.
Over the winter it was loosing 20psi over a month. :shrug:
Heidenau K60's seem to not like the bead on the Rear of the Varadero. The last K60 had leaks, but every tyre since was fine until another K60.

With the tread wearing thin and a new Mitas E-07+ sitting in the garage, SWMBO has been roped into taking the wheel to have the tyre changed on Tuesday.

But I did get around to changing all 3 sets of pads (Ferodo SinterGrip HH) checking oil level and giving the old girl a good scrub. Even wiped a rag over the old hack bike.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #671 on: August 19, 2018, 21:09:22 »
I fitted a pair of Grip Puppies to the KTM today: I've always had some numbness on my right hand after a while & finally did something about it.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Tris

• Bike: V-Strom 1000 K8
« Reply #672 on: August 20, 2018, 16:18:26 »
Took the old girl in for her MOT passed with flying colours.
I can rest easy now

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #673 on: August 20, 2018, 21:28:05 »
Friday last with SV on the trailer I set off for Cornwall near Porthcothen Bay. No phone signal there. Sea fog, mist, and dizzle sincr then so only two short damp sprints round the block for me. Son and Grandson arrived forcompany so not too much on my own. Weather set to remain like this till Thursday when I will set off for the big meet B/H meet in Wales where the sun always shines.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #674 on: August 22, 2018, 19:23:12 »
Fitted the wheel back to the Varadero after a tyre change.
For reference, Mitas are now doing a E-07+ which differs from the normal E-07 in the 150/70-17 rear that lots of Adv bikes use.
Mainly it's got no central band and the blocks are a bit more like the Anakee 2 but more bad arse.
I didn't know this when I ordered but bugger it it's here now so I got it fitted.
It's paired with a K60 Scout front atm but I will likely get a pair of the normal E-07's when I need a pair

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mr Nick

• Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #675 on: August 25, 2018, 15:47:37 »
Decent day weather wise so took the chance to take the TS185 and V50 for their MOTs. Guzzi went without any serious dramas. The right hand caliper is dragging a little and the lever has next to no give so something not quite 100% there, but it produces the brake numbers so still a pass. The master cylinder is a Suzuki VanVan unit & should be a decent match to the twin piston caliper: I'll crack the bleed nipple & see if I can back off the pistons a little and see what happens.

I then took the TS up & she wouldn't tick over when I got to the MOT station until I wound the idle screw in quite a bit, which was a little odd as she was fine at the house. Once I'd sorted out the office stuff, I wandered back out to her & saw an odd puddle at the back wheel - it was petrol peeing out the overflow on the carb. I tried giving the float bowl a belt or 5 but to no avail. Knowing I needed the bike running as the lights don't work, I went with the plan that there would be enough in the bowl for that & shut off the tap. Certificate in hand, I headed home: when between villages & throttle well open, the tap was on, downhill & in the 30s, tap shut until it starts to die. Seemed to work out fine & I got home without incident (apart from the twat in the Polo who was tailgating me when she cut & damn near wiped me out. I saw his lady passenger shouting at him & take it she was unimpressed with his driving - he backed well off after that anyway...)

These are the last MOTs I need to get as they'll both be 40 this time next year, but I think I'll still take them up every so often, depending on the mileage etc. For under £30, it's a cheap independent inspection...

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline TLPower

« Reply #676 on: August 26, 2018, 17:53:43 »
Good results there Mr Nick. Riding a recacitrant 'bike is an artform in itself and one that should be applauded. Perhaps FatRat could make a batch of embossed warning signs to make other road users aware of our plight similar to  the "Please pass, running in" stickers from the past.

Something along the lines of "It's a b*stard/f*cker just don't run over me" should suffice.

I have rudely not asked about your thoughts with the Grip Puppies, my KTM had the same issues like yours, only on the throttle side. Bar weights, grip puppies and a full tube of silicone seem to have done the trick.

Today I removed the punctured rear wheel, what an absolute piece of cake, KTM even mould a chain holder into the chain guard. Wheel removal is a 5 job minutes tops. Refitting could be a whole different kettle of sea creatures. 

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #677 on: August 26, 2018, 19:52:11 »
I've only managed a brief ride on Katie since fitting the puppies: I found the right was a bit better, but the left one aggravated my sore thumb joint. I'm going to have to take the left back off until thumb is sorted.

I do love the little details on KTMs, like that chain holder: rear wheels are a breeze to do as a result.

Unlike the Spada: I've had the joy of removing the wheel & the pannier rack gets in the way, even with 4" block under the centre stand. The rack isn't the easiest to remove either.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Online Ridaz

• Site Donator
« Reply #678 on: September 01, 2018, 19:41:44 »
Had a visit from a strange man bearing gifts for trialing on the Africa Twin...

A few pics attached including him sporting a snazzy cup to match his strange coffee request.

The object for testing is his number plate carrier box which is small and discreet and conforms to the high standard of engineering we have come to expect.

Another fine product from Cymarc Bike Parts

Offline TLPower

« Reply #679 on: September 01, 2018, 20:29:01 »
That looks a proper cany place for a steeeeaaaak baaaake mind. :thumb:

Walter Rohrl.