Author Topic: ECU warranty replacement  (Read 83677 times)

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
Re: ECU warranty replacement
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 22:01:40 »
Here in Portugal all are being swapped. Mine was swapped and my local dealer is swapping them on all bikes he's sold.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 18:26:08 »
There clearly are warranty claims going round here. I recommend all Veek owners pursue this with their dealers as the difference of the ride with a newer EPI unit is remarkable, so much nicer

Offline oddbod

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 19:26:43 »
Push your dealer or write to Suzuki after sales manager.
I did and I had my ecu changed the other week. Admittedly, I haven't ridden many miles since but the difference is remarkable. Not only is it a lot smoother low down, it pulls like a train and a quick train at that.

I purchased mine in March 2014 so had one of the first releases. The issue arise soon after purchasing. Had a remap done and various other fixes but none of them completely got rid of the issue.

It was when I read bosnjo and lifebikers and the German thread that I told my dealer that I had had enough and was intending to write to Suzuki. In my letter I was firm but fair and pointed out in no uncertain terms that the bike was DANGEROUS in low revs and was not prepared to put my life in danger any longer. A bit strong I know but it got me an ECU change and I now have a totally different bike....one that I can actually enjoy riding now.

Push your dealer or write to Suzuki if you have the same issue.
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline Oldted

• Bike: DL1000 L5, Aprilia SL1000
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 21:17:37 »
Just posted on the TRE thread. I bought a 1000cc Sport Edition in June  (5Ways in Hull) and have had a couple of stalling situations when blipping the throttle but I do suffer from the severe drop in fueling when shutting the throttle off. Particular problem with pillion on. My friend also bought a new one in July and has had major stalling problems and feels its now dangerous. He has reported it to 5Ways and they have had the bike for 3 days now. I'll keep you posted.

Great forum chaps -lots of good and reliable advice, thanks.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 06:55:58 »
Spoke to my dealer again about this last week  he phoned Suzuki uk technical department.  They said there is a new ecu but its on back order but they'll not replace all bikes, some just need careful set up. So that's no to a recall I'd say!

Offline Oldted

• Bike: DL1000 L5, Aprilia SL1000
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 09:32:52 »
Update..... Dealer has confirmed to my friend that they are replacing his ECU. On back order about 3weeks. 5Ways of Hull seem to be dealing with this very well. :thumb:

Offline zippy

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2015, 21:03:12 »
blokes ,just had the updated ecu fitted yesterday and its much better its seems there's more pull everywhere (nice) as I am quiet friendly with my dealer the tech did a cross reference with the new part number and its fitted to al6 models so Suzuki knows there's a problem so they are fitting them straight from factory .I think Suzuki are doing the ecu replacement on a case by case all I did was say my bike was stalling etc  and after a couple of e mails between dealer and Suzuki gb and a list of checks to do etc   Suzuki e mailed the dealer and told to order a new ecu (happy days ) well pleased as it only took an afternoon and  I was there when the email came through so great service from Suzuki and dealer
cheers

Offline Timmo

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 18:32:13 »
How hard is it to get to and view the number on the ECU ?

Offline Lifebiker

• Bike: BMW R1150RT
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 21:06:56 »
I was one of the first owners to get the ECU changed, you may have seen my threads...........well something else has happened which I am going to share with you. I have done approximately 4000 miles since the change and the bike was going well without any of the back firing or 'off and on' throttle nonsense, then two weeks ago I had the F1 fault code appear and the bike started to 'hunt' on its own from 1000 to 3500 rpm, I was working 111 miles from home so I decided that it would not be a good idea to try and ride it home!

I contacted my dealer, Thunderroad of Bridgend and asked for advice and requested that the bike be taken to their workshops as they have the history of the problems I experienced and also I have complete faith in their workshops. Long story short Suzuki would only allow recovery to the nearest dealer which happened to be Newbury, TR did their level best to try and make Suzuki change their mind but to no avail in the end TR sent their van to collect my bike............they didn't have to do that bless 'em.

The fault codes recorded on the ECU pointed at throttle body assemblies and motors, TR raised a case with Suzuki and they agreed to swap out the affected parts. TR informed me early this week that the work is complete and the bike is running fine and they will deliver it to my home next week, I will take out at the first opportunity I get and report back.  :old:

Offline wurzel

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 21:56:38 »
  It is really good of you to report your findings Life biker, thank you, and I do hope all is well with the bike now.

You have persevered, along with your dealer, to great lengths. :ty:

Offline bosnjo

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2015, 22:05:50 »
Let's hope it hasn't been caused by new ECU.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 16:24:49 »
That's good dealer service to collect your bike FOC when they didn't have to  :clap:

Offline trotts

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2015, 09:22:36 »
Bike Show. (NEC) Now called something else but to me still the Bike show.

I tend to go every few years and aim to attend this year.  I will make my way to the Suzuki stand and I presume it will be staffed by Suzuki head office staff  and technical people ??  I will certainly ask the question.  When was the latest ECU (from which Month/year fitted) why no recall if you had dodgy one.  I guess now unless you buy an early build one you should be OK.

Keep up the great work gents ! :stirpot:
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 13:09:59 »
Get ready for Suzuki telling you they haven't heard of any issues  :roll:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline bosnjo

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2015, 16:54:16 »
Some of you blokes must have owned early DL1000 V1. I know there has been similar story with ECU on early models but I have no idea what was wrong with them, did Suzuki replaced them all and is all this that is happening with early V2's (mine included), repetition of early V1's story.
Can someone shed some light on this subject?
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline grimcookie

• Bike: CRF 1000 African twin Harley Davidson VRSCR
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2015, 20:28:58 »
Got my AL4 back today with the new ECU  fitted. straight away I noticed  it sounds different, riding home its a lot smoother and more willing to rev only done 30 miles so far but it seems encouraging.  wash it when I got back due to road salt, and while  I was drying it off I noticed the flap valve on the exhaust opens wide immediately the throttle comes off idle  I have never seen it move before, believe me I did try to see it worked before and in the end assumed the ECU opened it while engine was under load in certain circumstances this would explain different sound and more willing to rev also...             

Offline wurzel

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2015, 20:34:33 »
that is interesting, never seen mine move when the bike is stationary, I asume it did so under load too, might have to put the go pro camera on and take a quick ride to see what it is doing.
thank you for posting that .

Offline porter

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 17:11:56 »
Bike left into dealers today. Hopefully get the new ecu or if not I'll at least have had the throttle bodys balanced, might save me getting the yearly service.  We'll see. Two things I noticed on way up. 1 after a month driving my wee Suzuki swift boy is the vee fast! 2 at 6000 miles boy is my back tyre buggered!

Offline Chatty

• Bike: 2018 1000XT, 2011 Burgman 400
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2015, 18:01:07 »
My place of work is rather large and it has a 20mph speed limit therefore I am normally trickling round in 2nd around 2500rpm on my Vee2 and I have noticed a bit of a hole in the fuelling. I am at the Bike Show on Friday so was aiming to talk to the Suzuki stand about it, will report back.
My TDM900 had a similar issue and the aftermarket fix was to pull a wire out on the ECU which stopped it operating an air valve which in turn made it smoother at lower revs.

Chatty

Offline trotts

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2015, 18:04:52 »
Went to the NEC Friday and had a pleasant day.  Lots nice shiny metal. 

Went to the Suzuki stand and spoke with a chap called Peter Fox (he was the technical man from Suzuki H.O)

I explained I am keen on the V strom but hanging on as a result of reported issues with the ECUs and low fuel running.  (The rest you all know.  I had also been to my local large dealership in Bristol the week before who claimed total ignorance of any fix's. That filled me with confidence  :whistle:)

Yes, he was very helpful and pointed out I was the second person to ask about this.  He confirmed that all 2016 V Stroms will have the new ECM unit fitted, and some from a certain build date from 2015 will also have it. There is NOT a recall, BUT all dealers will shortly  receive a service bulletin outlining the issue and if a customer has an issue they will replace the rogue item. I did not ask him when this bulletin will be going out(oops) but it seems to be good news for owners with an issue, or perspective owners.

I have spied a 2015 V strom, just run in, at under £7K.  Might be worth a punt now as I can buy with confidence now  :lala:
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.