Author Topic: LED Parking Lights  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Will

LED Parking Lights
« on: September 21, 2014, 16:13:07 »
Hello All
I would like to replace the two sidelight bulbs with LED bulbs. Is there any easy to remove the bulb holders from the light? I can remove the socket with the wires but can't get the bulb holders to turn to replace the bulbs. Is there any easier way? to get at them without dismantling the full fairing. :crazy:
Will

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: LED Parking Lights
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 18:51:34 »
I stick my hand in from the bottom, turn anti-clockwise to undo it. All the LED W5 side light bulbs I've put in, including recommended "premium" ones, fail very quickly. The only ones that seem to last properly are normal Bosch W5 bulbs.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 19:07:59 »
I changed it on my Vee2 to W5W Led, and it's holding nicely. Cheap chineese led. The same led I had installed on my previous car to replace W5W puddle lights. Served for 5 years, removed them when I sold the car, and now one of them is on my Vee2.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Mitch

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 17:08:25 »
Unless you have tiny hands I'm afraid the entire instrument panel must be removed. Only a 5 minute job in fairness once you find all the fixing points. I got some 1.5W CREE sidelights of Flea Bay. They are taped into the holders to add a little extra security as led lamps are heavier than tungsten stock lamps. Stops them rattling out when you go off-road.
VSTROM - ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE

Offline Will

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 17:31:00 »
No Luck in getting my hands in to turn the holders, they are very tight and the fairing brackets get in the way. I also removed the windscreen and the six  screws along with four plastic push in rivets But could not move the black cowling
May be I have missed some other attachment screws  :shrug:
Will

Offline Will

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 12:42:52 »
Got Them changed at long last! but had to remove plastic cowling to get at them, easy when you know how, so put a little Vaseline on the O rings this time, so should be able to turn them out the next time without removing half the bike to get at them. I may as well change the headlight bulbs when the cowling is removed Think I will fit the New Osram Night breakers unlimited with up to 110 % extra light :lala:
Will

Offline Oop North John

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 14:16:46 »
To change the headlight bulbs only needs the electrical connector and the big circular rubber splash guard removal, as I fitted my new filaments this weekend.  :)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 17:16:35 »
Ah, I didn't notice it was a Glee, the space in there is tighter. I have to contort my XL size hands to get in there on the Wee, but I don't think I'll get in there on the Glee either.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline EvilRacer329

• Bike: 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 11:55:31 »
I was lucky - I have tiny, tiny hands and even then it was a seriously tight squeeze. It's well worth upgrading the lighting from the tired, yellow-tinted stock hardware bikes all come with...