Author Topic: Indicator "left on" warning system  (Read 3113 times)

Offline iansoady

Indicator "left on" warning system
« on: August 20, 2013, 16:20:30 »
Like most people (I suspect) I have on occasion been guilty of forgetting to cancel an indicator - a mistake that can prove uncomfortable and scary if not fatal. I have considered in the past fitting a buzzer to remind me but they can be very irritating.

So I was quite pleased when I got a copy of Motorcycle Monthly (the free paper from the Mortons stable you get from dealers etc) and saw an ad from these people: <!-- m -->http://www.azonic-solutions.co.uk/<!-- m --> describing a unit with both buzzer and bright LED, a variable delay before being activated and also a function to inhibit it when the brakes are on so it doesn't drive you mad at traffic lights etc. And at £17.50 post paid won't break the bank either. So, without further ado:

1. First Impressions/Unboxing Impressions
Looked good with everything I needed including cable ties, superglue (not actually used) and Scotchloks (again not used). Well packaged, quick delivery and clear instructions. The circuit itself is potted in resin in a sturdy plastic box. The kit even includes a little watchmaker's screwdriver to adjust the delay.

2. Initial Setup/Installation
I decided to fit the unit attached to the fairing mounting frame and with the LED on one of the little ridges behind the screen. Chosen as most of the cables were here and there's plenty of space in there, as well as being protected from the weather.

I did need to bring a wire from the stoplight (white / black). I tapped into that under the rear side panel (it's a shame that Suzuki use sticky tape rather than proper harness tape to cover the loom) and used a double bullet to make the connection, then brought the cable under the tank to the front. Other connections are one to each indicator (found under the front fairing) and an earth (I used one from the front position light). Again I used double bullet connectors to make all these additions. The wires were of good quality and long enough. All connectors were crimped and soldered.

I drilled a 12mm hole for the LED (this was the only slightly substandard part of the kit as it would have been better with a proper bezel) and glued it in from underneath with Bostik 2402.

3. Real World Testing (how did it perform)
It did exactly what I had hoped. Adjustment was easy (although the direction to turn the delay screw was described in 2 opposite ways in the instructions!). When you switch the indicators on, they flash the pre-determined number of flashes (variable by means of the screw between about 10 and 20) then the buzzer and LED start in unison with the flash. The buzzer starts quiet then builds up volume. It's not over-loud and in fact may be a bit difficult to hear at motorway speeds - I haven't tried it in those circumstances yet. It is however fine in town and rural road speeds. It's stated to be 80dB.

The LED is quite visible although I suspect for maximum effect it should be pointed straight at my eyes. It would be very bright at night and impossible to miss.

The brakes on function is very handy as it seems to reset the timer so the buzzer and LED don't come on immediately the brake is released.

4. Specs & Other noteworthy facts
Nothing to add really.

5. Tester's Opinion (summary)
A useful and cost-effective addition. Easy to fit and well specified. Recommended.

6. Star Rating
I'll give it   :star: :star: :star: :star: : only taken one off for the slight ambiguity in the instructions and the possible over-quiet buzzer (although if it really bothered me I could substitute one from Maplins). I suppose enhancements might be 2-level buzzer (someone cleverer than me could probably use the gear position to control this) and LED dimmed with headlights on.

7. Pictures

No pictures of the installation as it's all tucked away. This is the LED (left hand side - the other is an alarm):

Double bullet connector & insulator:

Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10