Author Topic: Poorly Glee - any suggestions  (Read 13138 times)

Offline John316

Re: Poorly Glee - any suggestions
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2013, 08:19:49 »
Patience is really the key here to resolving the issue.
I saw your bike in C-A yesterday as I had my K9 in for its MOT.  I think I know Malcolm sufficiently well to say that he wouldn't just string you along; some of the mechanics there may not be up to the job but there are a few who are.   Just keep up the pressure & nag them till it's right.

All the best.    John3:16

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 09:31:11 »
Tell the whole story to Suzuki customer services NOW while it is still fresh in your mind and still a current issue. This will make things easier later if the thing has to escalate. Mention that many other Suzuki customers are following the story on this thread. You don't want them to say, "Well, why didn't you tell us at at the time?"

Cut & paste it from here and e-mail it to them.

PS I just replaced a worn out chain & sprockets on my Glee, it now runs more quietly and a tiny bit smoother but there was never any jerkiness even when the chain was well knacked.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 22:46:27 »
Just email them the link to the thread, I'm following, brand new DL650 last September, plenty of other new bike customers on here who are able to buy other brands.

Offline Mitch

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2013, 07:48:04 »
They might well have lost my custom too.  I'm needing to book my 7500 service shortly. Still debating whether to trust them with this task. Seems no one  knows of anywhere else in West Yorkshire as an alternative  (won't use Padgetts). Jordans expensive.  Any thoughts on BLD ?.
VSTROM - ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2013, 09:44:54 »
I've only ever come across BLD when my mate's insurance company sent them round to collect his bike following attempted theft. It seemed to take ages for his bike to be repaired though that was probably down to the insurance company?

There's Robinson's of Rochdale which are a Suzuki dealership which may be close enough? Not used them though. York Suzuki seemed alright when I went (though not used service dept) and Goose seemed a decent bloke...

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone relating to the Glee. Malcolm never did call/email/text me yesterday like he said he would  :angry-tappingfoot:   part of me hopes its because he's speaking to Suzuki, however not convinced plus a quick call to update would've been nice.... I begrudge going elsewhere to sort the problem as it'll only cost me more money. Think I'll speak to whoever is in charge in Keighley (possibly Kevin who was a great help with the whole Suzuki warranty/breakdown period issue) and hope it's resolved soon.

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2013, 14:06:21 »
All glees that THEY put together have that problem more like , sounds like they don't know how to build a bike either to be honest.

Incidentally I have the 2012 VStrom 650 too and there's no coughing or spluttering from it in it's 11,000 miles.

How they can possibly claim that as being normal operation on not just the Strom but ANY bike is beyond me.

They would need to take the tank off to check the fuel air mix too , all that stuff is under the tank , between the two heads , along with the injection. I assume they have just run the diagnostics mode and when it didn't error , assumed it was OK.

I'm with Fatbelly here , let Suzuki know , these blokes might be endangering people's lives by telling them stuff like "if the chain is too tight , let it run until it is loose".

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 21:39:57 »
I got an email today (was expecting it last Thursday) kindly pricing me up two chains:

a) O.E Chain 27600-06G40-120 £130.90,  Labour to fit £40, Sub total £170.90, VAT @ 20% £35.80, total £206.80

b) NON O.E Chain. 520vxgb x 118L £98.00, Labour To fit £40.00, Sub total £138.00, Vat @ 20%  £27.60 Total £165.60

I've replied saying it's a lot of money to spend on something that may or may not fix the problem, and why am I being told to buy a chain when the bike was fault free when it came for the 7,500 mile service. I've said I could understand being told to buy a chain if the problem was there before the service, but it wasn't and as such I firmly believe the problem is as a direct result of the service. I've pointed out the condition the bike was returned in, said I can't see how adjusting the chain could go from no symptoms to a this starved of fuel like symptoms unless it was adjusted incorrectly, and when I came back I was told to keep using it to let the chain bed in. I've asked for the bike to be returned to me in the condition it went in (I.e. fault free) otherwise I'll have to ask for a refund and go elsewhere.

I'm starting to feel like Michael Douglas in Falling Down...

P.S. What's wrong with Padgetts?

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2013, 22:20:58 »
the non OEM chain they quoted for is the wrong one to start with...
The strom takes a 525 pitch chain not a 520 pitch. Often the front sprocket is a 520 pitch but the chain won't be.

Put it this way you have more patience than me, By now I'd be standing outside the entrance to the place with a big board stating "They ruined my bike on a service I paid too much for and refuse to admit fault- W**kers!"

as we have a right to protest I would be within my rights to do so. Also you are stating FACT.

I'd be finding as many review sites and posting your experiences

As I said before I'm not a fan of dealers ripping people off and I have no sympathy when a crap one goes down the pan like Garland's did in West Wales.

When M&P burnt down in 2011 and was trading out of a small industrial unit across the road a week later and a year later had it's facilities rebuilt bigger and better. They are now largest UK (in the building) stockist of Bike parts and has the only (very fancy and just newly opened) Harley dealership in Wales.
In these financial time this is a miracle but shows when you have a business model that works, you can do anything.
How many dealers do you think would have taken the insurance money and buggered off to spend it somewhere TAX free :shrug:
I'll go back to my shed now...  :shy:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 22:40:55 »
What a Shower of Sh*t they are. Time for a little help I think. Contact a local Solicitor for a chat and get them to write a letter to the Dealer - and copy to Suzuki. Its still under warranty. Given the money already spent and the prospect of more for a chain it may be money well spent.
Really hope it works out for you.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 23:21:05 »

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2013, 06:30:34 »
You should leave the bike at the dealer and tell them to get Suzuki's area Technical representative in. He will then put them right.
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2013, 22:26:37 »
Bloody hell, quoting you the wrong chain is seriously shitty. Something like that can be an honest mistake, but this isn't the first time they are screwing up so it's simply another confirmation that you (and us lot!) are right. Get Suzuki GB involved, kick, scream, point them here and then kick and scream some more. No one on here will go to these muppet dealers after reading this. That is business lost for Suzuki and they won't like that one bit. If amateur home mechanics can do a better job than a dealer they have to start worrying big time.

Just a correction: The Wee front sprocket is always a 525 pitch. The confusion comes from the JT Sprockets part number being a JTF520-15. I also thought this meant the sprocket was a 520 pitch, but in this case the 520 has nothing to do with the pitch of the sprocket.

Edit: It just occurred to me, if this is the standard of work from a dealer that is meant to keep your bike in good shape during the whole warranty period, how well is that bike really getting taken care of? Might be a question you can ask Suzuki, because I don't think it's being taken care of at all.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2013, 20:54:05 »
I got a call from one of the managers/sales reps yesterday when I was riding home, who seems pretty keen to look into this matter. He said he's spoken to one of Suzuki's head sales reps (who rides a Glee) and told them they might have a bike with an issue. They'll come and collect my bike from work and leave me a loan, then the manager is going to test ride mine himself to see if he can detect the issue (the mechanics claim the issue is only there in a high gear at low speed!).

I was given a nice overview of how fuel injected v-twins having surging or hunting at certain rev ranges and how 30mph is 3rd gear not 4th, but I was patient and explained that 30mph in 2nd or 3rd produces this effect, as does holding any constant speed. I also reiterated there were no issues before the service. (I've done 7,500 miles on this bike and think I know what's normal and what isn't, also my last bike was a fuel injected v-twin which had 13,500 miles from new so I think I know how they work!)

Anyway, the manager is going to ride my bike vs another customer's with 4k miles to compare (not sure why the mechanics didn't ride Josh's and mine when they had both bikes at the same time?). The manager said my chain has tight spots but they're not bad enough to necessitate a new one and it's been correctly adjusted to the tight spots but it could be a new chain resolves the issue?

Anyway we've agreed they'll get the bike, have a look and see if they can figure it out. I've suggested the chap from Suzuki takes a look too.

Will post results as/when there's an update.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2013, 21:07:05 »
Told you I test rode one of the Suzuki open day bikes they bring with them to what ever dealers they are at for the day. surged like buggery, if you ride a inline 4 you'd think it was maybe normal, but not what the SV derived twin should be like.

Again though you are relying on the dealer not talking bollocks again and actually seeking a a solution to your issue.
and comparing it to another customers bike....? I hope they gave permission to the dealer for this.  :angry-tappingfoot:

best of luck mate.

Ride Coordinator

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2013, 21:10:18 »
.... and keep reminding them that 2500 owners are watching on here.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline greywolf

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 21:34:31 »
Tell the rep that the owners manual lists the 3rd to 4th gear shift point at 25mph. Yes that is a bit low for my taste but 30mph works fine in 4th gear on a properly working bike.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2013, 21:36:54 »
Cheers, if they say it's normal I'm going to insist on a full refund and Suzuki to fix it or to replace the bike!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2013, 22:26:43 »
Don't back down, mate, and don't take any crap from them telling you it's a chain problem :) Keep us updated.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2013, 10:49:34 »
Quote from: "UK_Vstrom650"
I got a call from one of the managers/sales reps yesterday when I was riding home, who seems pretty keen to look into this matter.

Now, I'm absolutely certain this is just a coincidence but a few days ago I posted a link to this thread on Suzuki UK's facebook page under the heading "Someone at Suzuki needs to see this". The post disappeared from their page yesterday.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2013, 11:05:15 »
Quote from: "MartinW"
.... and keep reminding them that 2500 owners are watching on here.

2640   :)
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!