Author Topic: Poorly Glee - any suggestions  (Read 13137 times)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Poorly Glee - any suggestions
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 18:25:35 »
Just a note, you don't see any historic codes in dealer mode. You only see codes if FI is showing on the dash (that's Fault Indication, not Fuel Injection.)

And yes, if they though the chain was too tight they should have slackened it off immediately, tight chains cause serious issues, eg. the counter shaft bearing will have extra stress on it and this could lead to a failure or the chain could snap. The one time I overtightened an, admittedly, worn chain I rode ~185 miles, slacked it off and it snapped on the next journey. Incidentally, this was the only time in 70k+ miles I was ever sat at the side of the road with the Strom where I couldn't get home to fix the problem :)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline greywolf

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 19:15:22 »
A dealer with an SDS tool can read past codes stored in the ECM.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 10:09:45 »
Seriously, this is not your problem. It's Suzuki's problem. I wouldn't even be looking at it if I were you.

Suzuki have two problems, a bike under warranty that isn't working properly and a dealer that isn't working properly. You need to tell them for the benefit of all of us.

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 13:57:44 »
So to loosen a tight chain , you need to bed it in eh? Silly me! I didn't realise... wait , couldn't you just loosen off the wheel and allen bolts at the end of your swingarm?

What utter manure , name and shame em , let Suzuki know they said that about the chain too, that could SERIOUSLY endanger you. If that chain was too tight and they said to just bed it in and that snapped off , you could end up with an extremely painful leg and wallet.

Not that it is the chain of course! But that shows a HUGE failing in understanding of how much power the engine puts out. I could see a tight chain causing a problem if you were riding some 10cc bicycle conversion or something but not for a 650cc bike!

Without taking the tank off you can't check the air filter which means they didn't do the correct maintenance either. The problem started when you got the bike back from them which just points out the problem to me really. If they did nick your fuel lines then there might be more air getting into the mixture which would cause problems like you are describing. I would suggest that you firstly stop riding it until it's fixed. Not only is it endangering your safety but if you are riding it and knowing there is a problem , you might be endangering others and I would imagine it is like accepting liability in the eyes of a company like Suzuki. Are these blokes even official dealers? Did you get their address from the Suzuki site? If so , get Suzuki told. If they are letting bikes away with glaring issues like that then they might well be endangering other customers too , maybe less knowledgeable than yourself.

Offline John316

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 15:07:46 »
Not had any satisfaction myself with Suzuki dealership servicing.
If you don't mind travelling a bit further, Steve Dale at Steeton is good chap.  Used to be C-A Suzuki's mechanic but now runs his own show.#  Give him a call on 01535 655528  :)

John3:16

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 23:30:15 »
Thanks for the advice everyone. It's now back in Colin Appleyards Keighley to be fixed. Was told again when I went in that they hadn't lifted the tank. I pointed out that not only did they need to lift the tank to change the plug that sits under the tank, but also they had to remove the tank to inspect/clean the air filter...  

The bike is staying there until it's fixed.  What's annoying is I'm assuming the "we didn't remove the tank" is their way of saying "not our fault  :angry-tappingfoot:

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 18:58:45 »
Got a call today (following me sending an email last night) saying they've checked everything and can't diagnose a fault. They say they can reproduce what I'm saying only when the throttle is only slightly open, (although 30mph in 2nd gear produced it for me). One thing they said is they've PDI'd a new Glee and test rode that for two miles and say it has similar issues though not as bad ??

Anyone else with a Glee notice any surging or stuttering at all from their engine? I never noticed it before the service and am riding a Gladius which seems really smooth. I'm going there tomorrow and might test ride their new bike to compare the two.

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 19:13:49 »
Wonder if the same bloke done the PDi and the service, maybe he has a special touch.

Offline Penfold

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 19:26:27 »
No surging or spluttering at all on mine just over 5000 miles.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 20:10:00 »
No issues like you describe for me, 3,500 miles.. If the demonstrator had have done what you described I wouldn't have bought one.. Can you take it to another Suzi dealer for a second opinion? I'd be wanting my money back if they couldn't fix it. It started after the 4,000 mile service you say?

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 21:15:12 »
I test rode one of Suzuki's own bikes on a recent open day at the local dealers.

it surged and stuttered at low ish revs as you describe.

the millage on the bike was just shy of 7400.
I reported it to the Suzuki reps and they didn't seem interested until I told them I have a k6 strom and mine is far far smoother. and I wouldn't be updating to the new model if it's worse!
they then paid attention and one of them took it for a spin but I didn't hang around for them to come back.

Ride Coordinator

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 21:48:04 »
Wonder if it's something that occurs after 7500 miles? Mine was fine til then. It occurs anywhere from 2500-4500 rpm depending on gear/speed.

If it did this when I test rode I wouldn't have bought either. I'm not taking it back unless I'm happy it's fixed. As I said, not an issue before the service and the Gladius doesn't behave anywhere near as bad. If they can't find what's wrong with it, maybe Suzuki can? Even my brother said it didn't seem right & he's never ridden it before

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 21:59:30 »
You're doubting yourself, that's what they want so you can go away and they can laugh about it. Give them hell or take it elsewhere, it wasn't like that before they got their hands on it.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 22:01:52 »
+1 for what Juvecu said.

This isn't something that phased in as the bike got older or more run-in and it isn't something that is expected to gradually happen. This is something that happened immediately when someone dicked with your bike. They need to fix it.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Little_Chris

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 22:37:00 »
My Glee has just covered 14000 miles and I do not have any of the problems you describe.

It's going in for the big service next week and if it came back with a problem it hadn't gone in with, I'd be taking it straight back!
Shanks' Pony > Second Hand Brown BMX > Eddie Merckx racer > 556 Bus > Yamaha RXS100 > Honda CB250 Super Dream Deluxe > Yamaha RD350 YPVS > Kawasaki GT750 > 1300cc Custom Trike > Suzuki DL650 Glee

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 23:37:21 »
And they wonder why we don't like them fecking around with our bikes.

Sounds like a vacuum pipe could have been forgotten somewhere, they had the air filter off I assume? Is the throttle balance a 7,500 service item? I can't believe they'd just cut you loose like that, it needs sorting.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 23:26:38 »
Well, I've got the bike back. They said they'd been through everything but couldn't find a fault. Said they checked throttle boddies, sparkplugs, air filter, HT leads, readjustment chain, changed petrol, put fuel cleaner through (still not removed tank??), reset timing, no error codes and spoke to Suzuki. It is running better though the judder is still present however the dealer said it's a mystery - could be chain/might not be. I can either change the chain and see if it fixes it, or they'll go to Suzuki to resolve the issue.

I'm guessing if they go to Suzuki and say they think it's the chain, Suzuki will say change the chain then? Anyway they're going to call me tomorrow to suggest what next. (oh, they still didn't fit the side panels correctly again despite me telling them this last time!)

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 23:32:00 »
You must be a very patient man, I'd be taking it to another dealer already if I saw they can't fit side panels properly twice in a row! I'd also be the one to send Suzuki UK a formal complaint about the standard of work and service they give.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 01:05:50 »
Reset timing? That's a good trick. They have no idea what they are doing and are lying about what they did.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 07:14:54 »
I think a call to the Citizens Advice Bureau would be a sensible move. Explain how they can't even get side panels on correctly, are making contradictory statements about the work done and ask their advice on what to do next.

Personally I'd give up on them and take it to another dealer, as I did when I saw how the supplying dealer managed to break off the hazards flasher knob when fitting a mirror, had a handlebar end not snugly fitted after fitting Suzuki hand guards, didn't fit the under cowl correctly. Takes me longer to get to another dealer, but they seem to be professional engineers / mechanics not part time incompetent spanner monkeys.