Author Topic: Poorly Glee - any suggestions  (Read 13139 times)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: Poorly Glee - any suggestions
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2013, 12:11:53 »
I'm concerned about the Suzuki workshop manual listing the wrong plugs for the Glee, if this is the case then it's going to be affecting more and more of us as we rack up the miles, with dealers none the wiser as to the fault. Unless we point out that the plugs they put in might not be the same as the ones they took out, no need to check because 'that's what the manual says and if that's wrong it's not our fault'. Suzuki GB need to look at this and reprint and redistribute the relevant parts that are wrong.

The reasons to self service just keep piling up.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2013, 13:49:30 »
My service manual lists the plugs as either NGK CR8EIA-9 or Denso IU24D. http://japansparkplugs.com/boutique/en/ ... 01-24.html lists them as equivalent and I know the NGK listed is correct. What did he claim was wrong exactly? It's moot anyway. The wrong plugs could not have caused the symptoms you reported.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline TOMOLFC61

« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2013, 21:59:19 »
I have just read with great interest this post as believe it or not my bike has been doing the same thing after its 7500 service. If I'm riding through town traffic at about 30 mph using 2nd / 3rd gear you can feel the engine "fluttering",once I get up to about 40+ it disappears. I spoke to the dealership that I use for servicing and although "helpful" they did say that stroms suffer this and need to have the fuel injection balanced. I had asked if it could be something to do with the plugs as I know its part of the 7500 service so to me it was the logical thing and the balancing was the possibility he came up with.
Did we have a definitive answer to the problem so I can go back to them with some information that as a "reputable" dealer they would be welcome of? Also is this investigative work covered by the Suzuki warranty? :fix:  :ty:
"Tutte le strade portano a Roma"
"Never argue with an idiot you will only bring yourself down to their level"
I could be that idiot!!!

Offline Jacko

« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2013, 22:18:42 »
I'm sure the Suzuki manual the dealers use lists the wrong plugs and the trouble was traced to that in the end. They thought they were putting in the correct plugs but they didn't cross reference them with the ones they took out. Seems a bit ominous that its happened again.

If I were you I'd just point them to this thread and let them have a read, then suggest they distribute it through all the Suzuki dealer network. It's probably going to take a while, and a lot more complaints of poor running after 7,500 before they actually do something.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2013, 08:50:40 »
I was told the service manual lists the wrong sparkplugs. Ask your dealer to check the service manuallistings for sparkplugs to the parts counter microfiche numbers. Apparently they are differen, with the service manual being incorrect. The part number in our owner's manual for standard plugs is the correct one. Could save your dealer a lot of trouble?

I would've thought this would have been fed back to Suzuki by now and a bulletin issued to all dealerships?

Offline Jacko

« Reply #145 on: September 04, 2013, 09:01:45 »
Nah, that requries someone to do something, then relies on someone at the other end to take some notice, and then also do something. Far to many chances to fail there. Best thing to do is let them do the service then check that they have put the correct plugs in. I find that if you try to tell them stuff beforehand they get all superior and pay no attention, after all they're Suzuki, what do we know?

After having an Indi. do the interim 4k service I was going to have Suzuki perform my 7,500 one for the stamp as I could be swapping it for the 1000 in a couple of years and it would look good in the service book. However, in light of this I don't want the hassle of actually trying to make sure they fit the correct plugs. I can't believe Suzuki haven't issued an urgent correction, and if they have, why some dealers are ignoring it.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #146 on: September 04, 2013, 12:04:42 »
I really feel cheated. My Glee has done 18,000 miles and not once have I had the wrong plugs fitted!

Also, what is the new law about things being "close to libellous"? Either it's libel or it's not. The bloke sounds like an idiot to me, and it seems he thinks you're one too.

Note the words "sounds like" and "seems" in the above sentence. That's why it's not libel.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #147 on: September 04, 2013, 14:33:35 »
I might take my Glee to Scotland for the 7,500. :)

Offline TOMOLFC61

« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2013, 19:04:56 »
I spoke to customer services today at Suzuki GB and informed them of the situation in this post and they went away and checked codes for the spark plugs in the service manual and owners hand book. They called back and said there was no conflict but I suppose that depends on how the customer services put across the story to their technical department. They did say that the plugs recommended are the CR8EIA-9 and the Denso as stated by Greywolf although in conversation with the tech at the dealership I use and went too today they no longer recommend the Denso, the plot thickens!
So, to my visit to the dealership, they checked their records and it was the CR8E they had put in which is the standard one, standard according to who I'm not sure. When I told him of Suzukis choice he was a little surprised but checked some other literature which recommended the CR8E and the CR8EIA-9 but they were not totally sure as too why there was two recommendations. After brief tit bits about operating temperatures and longevity they checked the bikes "records" or perhaps "technical" data I don't know, but decided they would replace the plugs with the CR8EIA-9 so it goes in next week. I will let you know the outcome and the dealership have asked me to keep them informed of any further problems or developments as it is in their interest to be on top of it so keep posting if you have the same problems.  :fix:  :ty:
I could be that idiot!!!

Offline Jacko

Poorly Glee - any suggestions
« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2013, 20:19:25 »
Standard is the IA-9.

The 'I' stands for iridium. They put the wrong plugs in, the CR8E they put in are the wrong plugs.

And again, a couple more times wrong plugs wrong plugs.

Hope that's clear. :)

To be fair it shouldn't make a difference as they both should be using the same dimensions, only one is an iridium plug and one isn't. If, however, the problem disappears after fitting the I plugs then it does.

Also, why are they recommending the IA plug in the owners manual but allowing dealers to fit the cheaper plugs during the service?

Offline greywolf

« Reply #150 on: September 04, 2013, 20:38:59 »
The CR8E was the recommended plug for the DL650 from 2004-2011. Iridiums started being the standard plug in 2012. The CR8E is the same size and heat range as the CR8EIA-9 so it would not cause any problems except longevity. I won't say any more for fear of a libel suit. :neen:
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline TOMOLFC61

« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2013, 17:30:46 »
Well nothings changed, bike went in came out still the same "fluttering" at 25-30mph. Anyone any suggestions before I start throwing money around (or toys out the pram). Just  so we can eliminate the throttle balancing scenario they did that but left the plugs as many people have stated that won't be the problem. They did say bring it back if it doesn't change but I just wanted to cover all bases with suggestions. :ty:
I could be that idiot!!!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2013, 20:00:07 »
If they've not put in the Standard CR8EIA-9 plug insist they do. My bike felt like I was running out of petrol at a constant speed between 3,000 -4,500 revs. The dealer swears that's the issue so start with that. If that's no joy then insist it's corrected under warranty. My bike isn't smooth and I'm sure it used to be smoother however I need to change my front tyre so I'll do that first.

My next bike is highly likely to be a Yamaha which is a shame as I'd have liked the new 1,000 V Strom however my experience of a Yamaha V-twin (I've had 3) is much better/smoother than the DL650.