Author Topic: Continental Road Attack 2  (Read 5746 times)

Offline frez

Continental Road Attack 2
« on: July 06, 2012, 08:56:03 »
New thread to discuss these tyres when used on the wee. Unfortunately, due to a cock up I had a Road Attack 1 fitted to the rear 4000 miles ago, but I have just had a new Road Attack 2 fitted to the front.

My first impressions are that it is very much like the Pilot Road 3 it replaced. Steering is lighter and turning in is faster than the worn Pilot Road 3 but I believe it is similar to a new Pilot Road 3. Dry performance is excellent. It is also quite a bit cheaper than the Pilot Road 3, but we will see what the longevity of the tyre is like over the next few months.

The rear Road Attack 1 has excellent grip in the wet and dry, certainly enough to grind the foot pegs in the dry. I think it will be worn out much quicker than the Pilot Road 3. So far, at 4000 miles old, it is keeping its shape quite well.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline DesertStrom

• Bike: DL650 K9, Triumph Street Scrambler
Re: Continental Road Attack 2
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:37:49 »
My last set of tyres were Road Attack 2's.
I managed about 9000 miles out of the rear but I did notice it squared off quite badly around the 4 -5000 mark  :shock: By the time I came back off a recent 3000 mile 8 day trip it was looking like an old Avon Speedmaster!! :grin: I must admit that most of those 9000 miles were loaded up with full luggage & the recent trip with a pillion.
My father had PR3 on for the trip and after 4000 miles were keeping their profile & we did do a fair bit of motorway through France.
RA2's were very good tyres especially after the Deathwings but I am giving the PR3's a go now, trip planned for end of Sept so I'll find out if they were a good choice!  :shrug:

Offline frez

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 18:47:30 »
Well I can't recommend the RA2s over the Pilot Road 3's. Performance in the dry is excellent, but then so were the PR3s.

In the wet the Road Attack 2s just don't inspire the same level of confidence as the Pilot Road 3s. They feel slightly skitish over lane markings and cats eyes that the Michelins took in their stride.

Offline frez

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 18:10:57 »
Just changed the rear Road Attack to a Road Attack 2, the Road Attack lasted 7700 miles, although I changed it at 2mm tread left as the bike was in for new front disks anyway, so they probably had around 1000 more miles in them before they had to be replaced. A lot less than PR3s which gave me over 12000 miles on the rear. Decided to go with the RA2 as my RA2 front is less than half worn.

Offline frez

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:09:04 »
My Road Attack 2's are going to need replacing soon.

The RA2 rear has squared off really badly. Wet performance has steadily got worse as the tyres have worn. Dry performance was excellent when new, but that too has got worse as the tyres have worn to the extent that it feels a little twitchy in the corners now, which may be down to the squared off rear.

My overall opion is that they are NOT recommended for the wee.

I have a pair of Anakee 2's on order.

Offline Vstrombandit

• Bike: DL650XT M0, Triumph Trophy
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 15:03:36 »
Mainly used Metzler Tourance on my wee, durable and more than adequate to tour on and to take in the breakfast runs lots of fast twisty stuff to set up Sunday breakfast.  :)

Been using RA2s on my Sprint GT for the past 3k miles. Seem to really suit the sport tourer type of machine, others in our local Advanced group using them on similar bikes. We have all been impressed with the grip in the wet and dry, also the tyres seem to be keeping their profile even on the commutes and dual carriageway work. Previously used Road Angels on this bike and averaged 7k before needing to change but they were OK for 10k on my Bandit, guess its find the right tyre for you and your machine.  :shrug:

Been suggested tyres are a bit like underwear, find the style that you're most comfortable with or do you go for sex appeal, had  Corsa 3s on a bandit, great in summer but lethal through the winter when they struggled before getting up to temperature  :rain:
Semi retired taking it easy but happy to make progress. Riding with Suffolk Advanced Motorcyclists and RoSPA Advanced Motorcyclists.

Offline frez

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 15:36:18 »
To put the comments in context, I'm a high mileage commuter, currently doing 1200 miles a week, mostly upright on dual carriageways and motorways.

The tyres are not terrible but they are not up to the high standard set by the Pilot Road 3s I tried. The PR3s are more expensive, but in my opinion, worth the extra over the RA2s.

I'm only trying the Anakee 2's this time around because they are a good chunk of change cheaper than the PR3's and lots of people rave about them.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 23:42:58 »
I would be interested in your feedback on the Anakee 2s, particularly on how they compare to the PR3s. I will be due for a tyre change and need to decide if I'm going to change to PR3s. I think this time I will only need a rear so it will be an Anakee 2, but next time I will need to change both so it might be PR3s then.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline frez

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 13:47:53 »
Swapped over to Anakee 2s today, the RA2 front lasted 12650 miles and had a little left on it, maybe 1k miles more, the rear lasted 8350 miles and was shot, it was due replacement at 7.5k.

When new in the dry and on warm roads they are stickier than a very sticky thing, probably the best tyre I have used in that respect. New in the wet they are decent but not as good as the PR3s. The rear squares off quickly and the handling starts to get a little twitchy as they wear, but they are still very good dry and warm, in the cold and wet conditions we have had recently I started to lose confidence in them.

If you want ultimate grip and will only be using them on roads in the dry and above freezing they are an excellent choice, but I can't recommend them for other use and they wear very quickly.

By comparison. I found the PR3s almost as good in the dry and much better in the wet and they lasted 11.1k miles rear and 15.6k miles front (with 1-2k left on the front) so you are looking at about 50% more use out of the PR3s and although they are more expensive than the RA2s they are not 50% more expensive.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 23:49:05 »
My rear is worn out now and my front is soon going to need a change. I decided to stick with the Anakees because I'm going to be doing a lot less mikes from February because a start a new job that's very close to home. Considering getting a 2nd bike then which I will put road tyres on, probably a DR-Z400SM.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline macvisual

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 08:10:15 »
What's the difference between the Road Attack 1 and the 2..? Is the 2 the more current up to date version..?

Around six years ago I ran a Yamaha TDM-900 and fitted Road Attack tyres on both front/rear, wOw superb confidence and grip, found my cornering skills improve vastly with them fitted.
But I've been riding my V-Strom DL1000 four years now and haven't fitted the Road Attack tyres to it as yet, my rear tyre is needing replaced in spring so I'll probably buy a Road Attack then to try out...

Anyone else here ride a DL1000 with Road Attack's fitted..? Would love to hear your thought/views/experience.

Thanks!
K8 DL1000GT - K&N filter - Hel brake line - lowered front forks - Osram brighter/whiter bulbs - TRE module - 43 tooth Renthal rear sprocket

Offline frez

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 08:43:07 »
I had a Road Attack as a rear tyre on the wee, but not on the front. I got 7,700 miles out of it with almost all motorway use, you will get significantly less on the vee unless you are very gentle on the throttle. I found it gave excellent grip in the dry and OK grip in the wet.

Offline WLR

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 21:31:56 »
I've had Conti Road attack 1's on my DL1000. I bloody loved them, both wet and dry. My rides are mainly very twisty carving roads. She runs like she is on rails. No idea what mileage I got out of them though.

The rear gave out last week, and the front seems to have only an extra 500 miles left on it over the rear.

So I just had a RA2 put on the rear I expect to have a RA2 on the front next week.

The RA2 is a heavy tyre for some reason, I hope it's the extra dual compound material on it, who knows.
Another interesting thing is that is was matt in appearance not shiny like some tyres. I assume this has something to do with it's pre scrub ability. Even so I took it easy for a while before throwing her about with abandon.

My god frez, I just checked your mileage, you are one mile guzzler!!  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 18:09:23 »
If I understand it correctly the matt finish is the new type of moulds they now use. It's textured so that there is a "micro" surface on the tyre out of the mould and they don't use any release agent any more. Don't take my word for that, I might have Continental confused with Michelin, but I'd be surprised if both of them aren't doing it anyway.

Offline jackie_black

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 16:46:11 »
I had RA's on my Vee when I had it.  Heartily recommend them, the difference over the deathwings was amazing.  That said I have deathwings on my new glee and find them pretty good.  I must just be riding slower in my old age(35).

Offline greywolf

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 17:22:48 »
The original RAs I had on my old Wee caused a head shake and wore out quickly in hot weather. They made the bike love to turn though. I've used the original Michelin Pilot roads since and bought extra when they were discontinued. Now I wonder about the comparison between the new RAs which seem to be better and the new Pilot Roads which seem to wear faster than the originals.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline frez

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 18:31:10 »
In the dry the Road Attack 2s are the best tyre for grip I have used, but in the wet the Pilot Road 3s are far better, and also the grip doesn't degrade as much with wear on the Pilot Road 3s.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 19:24:14 »
Thanks. I was planning to get PR3s when I need to buy again. I guess I'll stick to the plan as wet traction is a major concern for me. It's why I'll never buy Dunlop 607s again.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 23:48:09 »
Quote from: "jackie_black"
That said I have deathwings on my new glee and find them pretty good.  I must just be riding slower in my old age(35).

Nothing wrong with the TWs here so far, they've done some extreme wet work in Wales (a bit too fast to make a third manned checkpoint before the 6pm closing time) and some of the best B road switchbacks in the Yorkshire Dales, with some over enthusiastic corner entry speed scrubbing and some misread bend 'oh shit, sling it on its ear to get round' moments.. I've got 3,000 miles on them now and I'm still waiting for them to scare the crap out of me..

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 00:46:32 »
My original wings never scared me - it was a nail that condemned them to the 'emergency' corner of the garage and I have anakee 2's as that's what was available that day (a coincidence I'm vary happy with).

Looking at the wings with 2k miles on them, there's a distinct flattening that isn't on my anakees that have done 3k.

When I come to replace these then I'm quite likely to go with a more road oriented tyre as the opportunity to get dirty around here is quite limited unless you have something properly off road capable. Always good to read the comparisons.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!