Author Topic: Puncture repairs  (Read 5049 times)

Offline j-strom

Puncture repairs
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:16:02 »
Does anyone have experience of using the puncture repair kits that squirt some sort of gunge into the tyre at the roadside?

I'm taking my V over to Germany in the Summer and wondered about taking some as an emergency but don't know if they are any good, or if there are better solutions out there.

Any advice?

John

Offline Jimmy nae so bright

Re: Puncture repairs
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:33:35 »
Hutchie (Ithink) has used a repair kit and worked fine, think it was the one with worms of rubber. Also heard that the stop and go kits are good, they have more of a bung.  I have used slime as I couldn't find the hole and couldn't be bothered to look, worked perfectly and was in there until the tyre was bald.
http://www.mainlyduesouth.com
2 Hillbillies, 2 Bikes, 22,000 Miles, 12 Weeks

Offline Strommer

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:55:44 »
Presume you're not a fan of Puncturesafe (prev. called Ultraseal) or Ride-On then.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline TravellingStrom

Puncture repairs
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:06:53 »
It depends on brand, I have pictures of the stuff bubbling out of a front tyre useless!!

I use sticky strings and if need be a patch inside the tyre before adding a tube until I can get the tyre fixed properly
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:10:03 »
Al alternative would be use a preventative such as Ultraseal which automatically seal punctures permanently. I started using it about 12 years ago and (touch wood) haven't had a puncture since. Most of the road side emergency kits are a "get you to a garage or home with a speed limit and then get a proper repair" type fix which is fine if you're near a place that can do the job.

Offline Strommer

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:14:58 »
Quote from: "TravellingStrom"
It depends on brand, I have pictures of the stuff bubbling out of a front tyre useless!!...

If the hole is at the bottom then it shouldn't come out - if you can see it bubbling then the hole can't be at the bottom.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline crazyhorse

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:21:41 »
Hello

Have used the 'Stop and Go' system on my bike and car tyres for a few years now.
Used it a couple of weeks ago, when out on a run with a friend on his R1150RT, when his rear tyre collected a puncture.

The piece of metal which entered the tyre and then disappeared, left a 'W' shaped hole, about 15mm across.
Cleaned it up with the 'Stop and Go' kit, and fitted a 'mushroom', and pumped it up to 44PSI,  and rode to the nearest pub for lunch.

After lunch, it was down to 42PSI, but we carried on to the end of our route, and then parted to make our separate way home.

He rang me the next day to say that the pressure was still holding at 38PSI, but that as the tyre was getting to the end of its life, and the puncture was at the edge of the tyre, he had decided that replacement was the best course.

Hope this helps.

Crazyhorse

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 12:55:18 »
I carry the "Stop & Go" kit myself, never needed to use it, but I did do my research before I bought it. Before that I had Slime in my tyres, but I changed tyres so often that it was a PITA. It makes a mess and I didn't like how it was all watery when you removed the tyre. I like Puncture Safe and Ultraseal and if I had a second bike again I would stick that in the tyres. It seems Puncture Safe/Ultraseal make more of a coating than a liquid mess so when removing the tyre it shouldn't make such a mess.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Strommer

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 16:47:56 »
Sods law - checked my tyre and a shard of glass was poking out.  That's less than 300 miles on a new PR3...  Not all the way through but not far off it.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 17:04:16 »
Eish :( If it's not penetrated the carcass then it'll be fine.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline TravellingStrom

Puncture repairs
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 22:15:54 »
Quote from: "Strommer"
Quote from: "TravellingStrom"
It depends on brand, I have pictures of the stuff bubbling out of a front tyre useless!!...

If the hole is at the bottom then it shouldn't come out - if you can see it bubbling then the hole can't be at the bottom.

It did not matter where it was, all I did was leave a stream of blue goo along the road and all over my bike, never again for me, a temporary patch the get it vulcanised at the earliest opportunity

That said, a brand new Tourance with 1000km on it, I plugged using a string and it lasted the tyre life of 17,000 km with no problems
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline Strommer

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 13:15:57 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Eish :( If it's not penetrated the carcass then it'll be fine.

It was a good 1.5cm or more in but luckily went in on the high side of a block - not into a groove.  Never had something so deep that hasn't been all the way through.  Will see if that last membrane of rubber holds out...

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Caribbean Rider

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 13:21:52 »
We use the Stop and Go system and have a small 12v compressor.  Both fit under my seat as lead rider.

I've had to use it fairly often. The results have been 100%. It is easy and works.

Offline Sven

Puncture repairs
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 21:06:01 »
Quote from: "Caribbean Rider"
We use the Stop and Go system and have a small 12v compressor.  Both fit under my seat.

I use the same.
Stop 'n go repair kit ( about £30) and Airman compressor ( about £12).
Worth saying that the Stop 'n go kit comes with 15 plugs so can be used 15 times which makes it good value in my books.  I also believe you can buy more plugs as well. There's no glue to go off either so the kit should last years & years.

Offline j-strom

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 14:23:35 »
that's loads of really helpful advice blokes, thanks very much. Very grateful...John :ty:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 16:06:56 »
If you're going for a plug kit and compressor, go for the Airman pump, it's smaller (and cheaper) than the Slime one and works just as well.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 17:13:00 »
I own a 12v compressor like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-CAR-ELECTRIC-COMPRESSOR-PUMP-BIKE-TYRE-AIR-INFLATOR-/350436136208?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item51979f1510 bit paid £3.99 for it. I removed the plastic case and it fits quite nicely under the seat.

then I got one of these repair kits http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Car-Tubeless-tyre-Tyre-Puncture-Repair-Kit-/320695761931?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item4aaaf4fc0b

also fits nicely under the seat. havnt tested the repair kit yet but the compressor works great.
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline wal750

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 20:16:52 »
I've used this rep and air with success, decent product. Shop around though, the link below is expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-PUNC ... B001AXK9QQ
1986 Honda VFR 750 FG
1986 Yamaha XJ900F

V-strom now sold :-(

Offline Strommer

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 21:27:26 »
I have the same compressor for £10 from Wilkinsons.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 10:13:32 »
I had the Rep & Air kit and tried it on a puncture on my R1100RT, it was useless and a pain in the arse.

I now use the Cargol turn & go thingy, got a pack of 3 (Fnarr Fnarr) as a "refill" kit for about £2-3. Tried it on an old tyre and it was really simple, literally just screw it in, snap it off add air and ride off. The lads I ride with tend to opt for the stop & go.