Author Topic: Both L+R Indicator Dash Lights (On Instrument Panel) Turn On When Using L/S Turn  (Read 544 times)

Offline TrooperOnAStrom

• Bike: V-Strom1000 (DL1000A) 2016
Hello. So about a month ago I posted about having an issue regarding LED turn signals, in that sometimes the L/S turn signals would not turn on, until I cancelled (by pressing the switch in) and then back on, to the left.

I was told it was probably the 2 pin relay and to replace it with a 3 pin LED flasher relay (that wires separately to a ground point) as that would be more reliable. I did that and for almost a month they were working correctly. Proper flash rate, left side would switch on as soon as I slid the switch to the left, and same for the right. But today I had to cancel my ride due to noticing that when I turned the left side turn signals on, both the left and right dash lights illuminated. I was in heavy traffic and didn't glance to see if all 4 turn signals were actually lit up, but 100% both left and right indicator lights on the dash did turn on, bright.
I resolved that till I got home by turning the hazard lights on very briefly then off again, and then left side indicator would work normally, until a few minutes up the road, to which I then had to repeat the process again.

When I have asked around at the dealerships here, I am getting conflicting information. One said it was the indicator dash lights themselves that need a resistor wired into it and the other one said that I need resistors wired in with all 4 of the LED turn signals AS WELL as the 2 pin LED flasher relay.

I have to mention that:
1. As mentioned in the previous forum post I made, I have already replaced the WHOLE handlebar switch assembly with a BRAND NEW one, including the wiring from it.
2. All 4 LED turn signals themselves weren't "LED replacements" but rather the bulbs themselves were LED's that fit into the stock turn signal housings.
3. No, the hazard lights ARE NOT ever turned on or left on by mistake.
4. I want ALL 4 turn signals to be LED's. Not just the 2 front or the 2 rear.
So can anyone point me in the right direction? Are the indicator lights on the dash removable at all to be able to be replaced with LED variants (if they are not already). Or where do I start? Is it the actual bulbs themselves which means getting 4 actual LED turn signals might fix the issue?
Also please keep in mind I have now used 2 different LED flasher relays. One with 2 pin and one with 3 pin, and have had the 2 different issues regarding each.

It's a V-Strom 1000 2016 if that matters.
Thanks in advance.

Offline TrooperOnAStrom

Nobody? OK then.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Does the same thing happen when you place the original bulbs back into the indicators?

Looking at the wiring diagram (from downloads section) for a clue on what may be common or shorting out, I'm a bit puzzled as to why this fault only occures on the one side and not both sides.

For those who may want a history of what was previously advised, read more in https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=43048.0

Offline TrooperOnAStrom

Put the original incandescent bulbs back in and so far it hasn't done it. But then again it took a month for the symptom to occur with the LED bulbs in it. And I don't really want to wait a month with the original bulbs just to see if it does it again after that time.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
It's a process of elimination then. Does it fail every time now with the LED's? And does it work with the halogen bulbs every time?
If yes to both then get another relay for the LED bulbs & try that. You may have got a faulty one or it's gone faulty.
Lots & lots of folk have fitted LED indicators & so long as resistors have been fitted, in parallel, with the bulb OR the correct relay for LED's is fitted they all seem to work OK.
I doubt very much it could be the dash indication light that's causing the problem, but only because I've never heard of it being so. 
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline TrooperOnAStrom

It did not happen all the time with the LED's in. Intermittently only. Didn't happen with the original bulbs.

I don't like fitting resistors. They get way too hot. But I just tried a different set of LEDs I bought yesterday (full turn signals,.not just bulbs) and the issue hasn't happened yet.
Could it of been the LED bulbs? Even if I was running an LED relay with them.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
If it doesn't happen with the complete units, it's a good bet it was the bulbs.
I'd keep them & if all's well with the complete units after a decent amount of time I'd have to put the bulbs back in to prove it was them.  :grin:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Online purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
Left and right circuits are separate except for ground and where they are switched at the controls (indicators / hazard switches), the left and right dash indicators likely are too (but sharing a ground)... Does anything else light up or play up when both of the dash indicators light? Has it been washed, or has it rained?

The new indicators may have resistors built into them already... which would put more load on the system. Given LEDs will light with far less current than incandescent bulbs, it could be as simple as you have some corrosion between pins on a connector, causing both sides to light which won't happen with bulbs that need a higher load like incandescents or LEDs with resistors in.

AFAIK you should absolutely not need resistors with a LED flasher relay, that kind of defeats the point no? The only time you'd want resistors with LEDs and an LED flasher relay is where you have fancy bulb monitoring that you need to fool.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
 My DL1000 indicators have played up twice since ownership, both times in very heavy rain. They failed to cancel first push on the button. Once they had dried out or the second time after a few more miles, they worked perfectly again.

Just remembered, I've got to go and spray the switch with suitable sprays  :) :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.