Author Topic: New bike shortage  (Read 918 times)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
New bike shortage
« on: March 18, 2014, 19:42:32 »
After some months of rebuilding in the freezing in the garage I finally got my VTR1000 back on the road.
So this afternoon I took a 30 miles round trip ride to my local dealer for a coffee, a chat and maybe some news of my new bike  ..... Kawasaki Z1000sx due on the 1st of March.
Broadly I've been told there is a delay on ABS models and no one knows when my bike will arrive or even be shipped. Salesman also says Suzuki have run out of the new DL1000, Kawasaki have run out of Versys 1000s and even the new 300 scooter can no longer be had with ABS. Word is that if you wanted a Z1000 in Green with ABS ( only the green ones have ABS option) you'll have to wait until 2015!!! Yamaha have also run short of stock on some models. It seems there are two issues at work.
The UK economy was on the slide so stock for the UK has been diverted to other shores and now that the economy is picking up demand for new bikes is outstripping supplies.
So if you're thinking of a new bike, and the dealer has one in stock, then get a move on or be prepared for a long wait. Those of you that jumped ship for Super Tenere land did well as by Easter, due to scarcity they may have increased in resale value (ooooooooh!)
And now the bit you've all waited for: todays pic of the VTR complete with new Beowulf end cans. other mods over the winter include manual CCTs and new bearings in SA and suspension linkages ( I Copied Juv's 'fit grease nipples' wheeze)

I'm far too fat and old to go far on it but it goes well and with those pipes is sounds really fast.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: New bike shortage
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 19:54:52 »
Bad news about the new bike, can't believe they can't keep up with demand, some heads should roll somewhere.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 20:10:48 »
Yes but maybe good news for BMW and Triumph.
Linds in Norfolk had a road test day last Sunday and they were very busy with GS's
My mate tried the new naked ( quick shifter, electronic suspension, cruise control etc) With clutchless upward changes it goes like a rocket, handles superbly and stops like it's hit a wall. But downward changes were noisy, clunky and shook the bike. The popping and banging on a closed throttle was awful.
But that GS does look majestic although its a bit too tall and not for me.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 21:30:26 »
The big GS rides as majestically as it looks, hands down the best handling adventure bike I've ever ridden.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 21:51:07 »
That's a tidy looking VTR, Brockett :thumb: I bet it sounds lovely too with those Beowulfs on. When I lived in Leamington Spa my neighbour's brother in law had a yellow one. Went on a ride out with them one day and I was riding behind the VTR, he had the baffles out and I could feel that V-twin pulsing in my chest! It felt like it was disturbing my heart, but I loved being able to "feel" the engine like that. The VTR is bonkers :crazy:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog