Author Topic: Back light staying on  (Read 804 times)

Offline Paul Moulster

Back light staying on
« on: August 30, 2014, 08:38:30 »
I have a 2007 V-Strom 650 & currently have to disconnect the battery every time I stop because the back light remains on. Please can anyone tell me if they have had a similar problem & how they fixed it. I have taken it to my local agent but they appear to just want to rip me off blaming the ignition switch/harness.
Thanks
Paul

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Back light staying on
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 09:16:16 »
are the front side lights on also.

Just wondering if you have turned the key too far counter-clockwise and put it in park.

Never have I heard of a fault that caused this sort of thing.

It would most likely be a short somewhere in the loom that would need investigating and replacing that section or repairing the wires insulation.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 14:56:12 »
As Mr Diver says :thumb:  Otherwise - are you sure its the back light, not the brake light sticking on? :shrug:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline iansoady

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 15:13:23 »
The brake light should go off with the ignition.

It could be your dealer is right in blaming the ignition switch - the park light circuit may be making contact when you're switched off. Your bike is high mileage so this sort of thing could happen.

The only way to track it down is systematically with a test meter and disconnecting different parts of the circuit. It's really hard if you don't have a proper wiring diagram as Suzuki's use of colour is a bit idiosyncratic.....
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10