Author Topic: For those who don't check their chain  (Read 1667 times)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
For those who don't check their chain
« on: January 23, 2014, 20:42:05 »
Think Twice when you think it's a waste of time to take 30 seconds to check.

Ride Coordinator

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: For those who don't check their chain
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 20:57:02 »
Looking at the slo- mo bit at the end I think the chain had already come off well before it locked up. You can see it hanging like a washing line as he's going round the bend!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 21:12:12 »
Yep, he lost power as the chain jumped off the rear sprocket, put up his hand to indicate a fault, then it got trapped between the sprocket and swingarm and highsided him.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 21:16:10 »
The most sickening part is seeing that nice expensive bit of fairing just hanging off on the wiring! That was not going to be a cheap fix! Having said that, you can work miracles with gaffer tape these days...
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 21:20:45 »
yes... but then it locks the wheel when it gets wedged between the swing arm and the bolts that hold the sprocket on...
I've seen it happen to an idiot on a Honda 125cc off roader, a week after I pulled over to help him remove said chain from between swing arm and sprocket nuts.

First time I got the chain removed and back on, told him it 'should' be OK to go the 200yrds to his house, but not to use the bike until he changed all the sprockets and chain ASAP.
The thing was so rusted the second time (literally a weeks later) that I poked the split link with my finger nail and it fell apart.

I left him with the chain in his hand and to push it the 200yrds home... Told him if he wanted to sell the bike, give me a call and I'll buy it and fix it up... but it was dangerous in it's (then) current state.
Told him he was reckless to ride any bike in that state and was a danger to himself and everyone else on the road... He wasn't a kid... looked about 35-40... but was a Neath local so that says it all.  :crazy:

For everything that's said to be dangerous if left unchecked, there's a fool that thinks it's B*ll*cks and then is badly hurt when it all goes pete tong!

Ride Coordinator

Offline mjc506

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 09:10:58 »
Huh? Looks like the chain was still slack when the wheel locked, looked to me like he locked up with the rear brake.
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]