Author Topic: Please share your KTM experiences....  (Read 4572 times)

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Please share your KTM experiences....
« on: May 06, 2018, 20:46:22 »
To be more specific the 1190 Adventure. I've read about the early ones being ridden in dusty conditions not being happy, I've read about some having dash issues and also about the retro fitting of the 1290 starter motor to cure poor starting.

The dealers locally don't seem to have a good reputation though I'd service one myself.

Some fasteners seem to rot early which is either rather worrying or a sign of neglect.

Those issues apart I still really like them in the silver/grey colour scheme, I'm going to have a look at a couple tomorrow both are overpriced for mileage and age.

Many thanks TLP.

To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
Re: Please share your KTM experiences....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 21:15:15 »
No personal knowledge but I am tempted from time to time to change up to one so will be interested in your experience.

I would suggest the KTM forum, but it's riddled with bell ends would rather slag you off than help.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline TLPower

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 21:32:13 »
Cheers Mr Nick,  they do seem rather "unkind" to certain posters. This forum?
http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=93

It all seems rather unnecessary and unseemly and not at all friendly.

To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 22:10:48 »
I have the 1290, a mate has the 1190 adventure bike, neither on high miles, but no problems either,they are high quality machines, generally reliable, I would be happy to buy another if I needed a new bike.
There are good dealers out there,just like any brand of bike,just have to sort the good from the bad.
They are an engaging bike to own, and will serve well,some love them,others don't 'get it'.
There are a lot of speed freek ego jockies on the forum, I don't bother with it anymore.

Offline Mr Nick

• Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 10:02:04 »
There are a few blokes on that forum that know their KTMs, but, unless you can cope with little boys' willy fights, it's more work than it's worth to sift through the crap to get to the useful stuff. From what I picked up, it was run by a bloke with a few decent admins, like here, but he sold it to a magazine I think, and it went downhill soon after.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline TLPower

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 13:53:51 »
I went to SMC in Sheffield to view a used 1190. My initial response was it's a giant of a 'bike. Whilst I was looking a salestype approached me and asked if I needed any help, he very kindly pulled it out of the line and left me to it.

I had a struggle to lift my leg high enough to clear the pillion hand holds, once on it was only my toes that touched the ground as the seat tank is rather wide. The bars though adjustable seemed miles away, the gear lever appeared to buried somewhere under the N/S and not at all easy to access. Raising the sidestand totally defeated me, it was way further forward and tucked further underneath than any other 'bike I've ever encounted.

The 1190 Adventure is without doubt a brilliant machine but I just don't fit it.

The demo 'bikes were a 1090 which on initial inspection appears to be built down to a price, the 1290 is vast and frankly hideous.

And expensive.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline WayneS

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 15:40:52 »
I have test ridden the new 1290 and really liked it.
I bought a 990 SMT, new, and had it, trouble free, for six years.
What you get with KTM is a well built bike with good brakes, good suspension, good tyres and home servicing is easy.
You do not need to spend any money on upgrades.
They also hold their price very well.
I lost £1,000 on mine over six years of ownership.
When I come to sell my Honda I will be crying.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 18:12:56 »
Although I have never owned a KTM I get to ride a couple of my customers after I've serviced them, which is easy by the way.
They are a 990 superduke and 990 SMT, now I'm only 5.7 and a 29inch inside leg and both fit me well , the SMT being slightly better . Both are a serious weapon of a bike and make me smile massively so the need for a bigger cc version is pointless in my opinion but each to there own .

The only real issues I've come across with both is firstly the chain adjustment bolts in the swingarm ceize solid if not looked after , threads being stripped out on the oil filter covers, there are 2 filters and a sieve and not long ago I had to replace a complete stator due to a silly oil leak from the rubber grommet that the wires pass through , nothing would cure the leak.

The way I see KTMs is this . If you are handy around a spanner and able to maintain them, keep on top of maintenance and be super gentle with the weak cast threads on the engine you should be fine .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline WayneS

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 18:40:21 »
There were, apparently, some instances of water getting into the swing arm. The fix was to drill a small hole in each side, underneath as far back as possible, to allow any water to drain. I never had any problems with the chain adjustment bolts.
Over-tightening of small bolts seems to be a common problem with all motorcycles and investment in a small scale torque wrench is essential.
I would not hesitate to have another KTM as they are, in my opinion, good quality and very easy to work on, everything is just so easy to get at.
Another bike worth a look is the Ducati Multistrada S, with the DVT engine. That is one hell of a bike.   

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 18:42:28 »
Can't disagree with any of that Kwak: one chain adjuster sheared on mine trying to move it. The swingarm does need a drain hole on each side at the wheel end as there was a good half pint of water in mine. Not going to tempt fate saying anything about the other issues....

I think I'm just conscious of the age of mine than a need for more poke - it is a hooligan: probably why I found the Veek to be a bit flat.

As far as side stand position & the like go; I found my Bandit to be awkward as hell, yet the 990 is natural to me. Just what fits you.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline TLPower

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 20:41:51 »
After reading my last post again it seems I came across as being rather negative. With hindsight I really wanted to be able sit on the 'bike and it would fit like a glove, that in reality was never going to happen. I'm a stumpy 5'8 with stumpy 30" legs. In the 13 years I've had the Cagiva I have fitted different bars with up and back risers, made and fitted adjustable footpegs and had the seat remodelled for my stunted frame. I've also welded an additional lug onto the sidestand to make it easier to retract. As Mr Nick says it just fits.

I've also just found out the 1190 has an adjustable seat height, judging the location of the bars on this particular example the seat was probably in it's highest position hence the struggles.

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to reply. :thumb:

Walter Rohrl.

Offline WayneS

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 20:47:12 »
It also has adjustable bars and footrests so you should be able to get a position that suits you.

Offline Griff2

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 20:52:29 »
I had some early KTM's such as an 2005 950 Adventure, 2006 950 SM and a 2010 690Enduro R.  Of those the best overall bike was the Adventure. The most fun was the SM closely followed by the 690. In fact the SM was probably the most fun I ever had on a motorcycle.

The Adventure was relatively trouble free. The SM was also trouble free albeit it liked oil. The EFI system on the 690 was very troublesome and eventually was the cause of my getting rid of it.

I lost interest when (imho)  KTM lost their way by producing motorcycles with vastly more power than they needed. The prices also put me off as did the more modern styling.

In my DL1000 I now have a good basic motorcycle with very useable power that won't bite me unless I do something stupid, and which I can improve as required with suspension mods. 

Offline TLPower

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 19:43:14 »
A 6am start saw me on my way Hemel Hempstead....

2016 1190 Adventure 5040 miles.

It's being delivered on Wednesday.

( ### black wheels  ###)

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 19:55:06 »
A purchase eh? I hope it works out for you TLP  :thumb:
I was looking for a small light bike that I could more easily wheel on and off a trailer. Starting with a 390 and maybe an older 690. Ha Ha bloody Ha. 33 inch Seat heights requires that I carry a small ladder even for the little one. Oh! well just what happens as I get  :old:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 20:06:54 »
Nice one. Powder coat the wheels orange.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 20:08:23 »
And the spokes??

Offline Rusty Nuts

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 20:09:57 »
They'll be orangey-brown soon enough if they're that special "motorcycle stainless"......

Offline Brockett

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 20:11:23 »
 :shock:

Offline Rusty Nuts

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 20:25:59 »
And what fate for the Venerable Nail, Mr. Power?