Author Topic: Wish they'd stop doing this  (Read 9015 times)

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
Wish they'd stop doing this
« on: May 02, 2013, 16:22:43 »
Slight hesitation from me .. but why?

tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Wish they'd stop doing this
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 16:25:33 »
What an arse .....

(Not you Josh!)
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 18:00:39 »
Because they wanted to get through the lights and you did not accelerate fast enough, it's not a car drivers job to hang about while you do your thing. You simply accelerate and go past or ease of and go behind your the one doing the filtering. Just my 2p.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 19:04:27 »
Don't give 'em room to do it. Be as narrow as you want when passing 'em, then move in a bit and "expand," taking up the whole lane so they can't pass - inside or outside.

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 19:22:24 »
Totally agree with all comments ... I was slow to accelerate and take the position, the reason for this is I have almost been brought off here before.

However it still does beg the question, if you were in a car why would you do this?

Nice to be able to reflect on these things though :) ... all going down as a mental note, I really want to do my ROSPA test!!! lol

Cheers
Josh
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Mitch

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 19:45:12 »
Josh,
Don't expect anything less from anyone driving an executive German company car, surprised it wasn't an Audi. They are mostly self centred fools. Don't allow them the room to do it, give them an inch and they will take a mile.
VSTROM - ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 19:54:40 »
True, Audi drivers seem to be taking over where the Bimmers left off. They seem to feel they have more right to own more of the road, including the bit that we are already occupying. Make 'em all ride a bike for six months.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 20:17:49 »
what has been said about Fancy exec saloons does seem to be right in one context and wrong in every other.

DO NOT TRUST ANY OTHER BASTARD ON THE ROAD COS THE ONE YOU DO THINK IS OK WILL BE THE ONE THAT TAKES YOUR LIFE.

Don't give a crap if someone thinks I'm cheeky filtering to the front, if they could do it they would too. Who in their right mind wants to sit there for ages if they can avoid the wait.

Own the lane, I never let cars get the impression I will let them do things like that Josh... and keep their mirrors. :shy: Moto-X boots work wonders on BMW, Merc and Audi paint work.  

Get in front, center of lane and filter as and when you can.

I'm a bastard to people who don't look, if someone is in so much of a rush that they don't have time to look for traffic and pull out in front of me I will overtake, pull in then proceed to slow down and see how slow I can go before they try an overtake, then speed back up to speed limit, repeat until destination. just to make sure they are as late for work as possible.  :neen:

Ride Coordinator

Offline adst

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 20:41:12 »
I find white vans are the villains of this piece ..they hate being overtaken in traffic ...I had one bang the side of his own van as I passed ..then shouted and pulled across as I was alongside ...just let the idiots go ..except then he braked hard ...and tossed a can !   Subnormal I would say !
Because life is the journey not the destination?  
"Dr.Pat Garrod ..Bearback "

Offline stibbs

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 20:43:37 »
Yep have to agree with some of the other comments.

Get a spurt on, dominate the overtake then get back in front before dick brain can undertake you.
Yes, you're being sensible & cautious by not overtaking in a "mad" way but sometimes mr Germany is horrified by the fact that someone else has power!

It's a matter of not letting prats like that have an excuse for their pathetic willy shaking.

Overtake, pass safely with distance before coming back inside then dominate the lane..... :thumb:

Offline Stromivarius

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 22:44:25 »
Sorry if you don't like it, but I don't see what he did wrong, you sort of half overtook him, it's not up to him to slow right down and let you in, It's no good just pulling up level with someone and thinking it's your position. You Got to go past them.

Only my opinion, but I am right  :)

Offline frez

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 22:46:19 »
Chalk it up to experience and don't put yourself in a situation where you are relying on another driver to "do the right thing", just rely on yourself.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 23:17:56 »
Don't take all the comments too hard, you're still learning (like the rest of us!) and little things like this are all part of it and adds to that thing called experience (which no one is born with.) With experience you'll be come more confident and decisive and will learn to 'see' that situation possibly developing before it actually happens so that you can give it a squirt to get in front before it does. Call it a biker's 7th sense or whatever you like, one day you'll just notice you have it as if it's been there all along. Mine is regularly exercised with the amount of idiocy going on all over the roads I travel. Your peripheral vision will also expand over time, that's particularly handy on the motorway and in busy town streets, you'll see more than just what you're looking at :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 23:59:29 »
Bikers 7th sense is survival
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline WLR

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 00:16:48 »
You just hesitated, no biggy  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline Strommer

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 08:17:52 »
Driver knew what he was doing.  True about getting back in lane and finishing the overtake asap. but that doesn't give the driver an excuse to kill you.  You were ahead of his front quarter and he accelerated.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 10:21:52 »
The black car driver was just driving normally. It's not his job to get out of your way.

Offline pauljobr

• Bike: DL650 X L0
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 10:34:23 »
I have to say the car driver was out of order, you had made the overtake, you were infront of him, now maybe you should have got a bit further ahead and pulled left, BUT in this case the car then went left and undertook you, the highway code only allows undertakes in certain conditions, filter lanes, queues etc, and that was not one of them.
At least you saw what was happening and avoided an incident, another lesson in experience.

ProfG

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 10:59:33 »
The best way to resolve the argument whether you were right or not or whether the car driver was at fault or not is to show the video to Mr traffic plod and let him advise.

Offline Strommer

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 11:19:21 »
Sometimes nothing works like a slap around the face with a large fish.....

A disgrace to biking...