Author Topic: Repairing the visor gasket  (Read 1424 times)

ProfG

Repairing the visor gasket
« on: February 09, 2017, 18:55:16 »
I seem to recall reading something about this but cannot find it anywhere. Anyway . . .

The gasket / rubber beading at the front of the helmet where the top of the visor comes down which prevents water coming in is the one I am talking about. Sometime ago mine started coming off and it eventually broke and started letting in water. It was a nightmare riding through the rain as the water was coming in and made it almost impossible to see. I had to leave the visor half open which ofcourse made the needle sharp rain hit my face.

I looked all over the internet but could not find any solution to this. It seems I needed to buy a new helmet. A friend (Cabra, remember him?) suggested to use silicone and apply Vaseline on the inside of the visor to prevent it sticking to it until the silicone dried out. This seemed too much of a nuisance so here is what I did.

Took the helmet and removed the rest of the rubber gasket by scraping it with a stanly knife. Then cleaned it out completely and took a piece of rubber draught excluder (the one used for windows and doors) and stuck it where the gasket sat. I have tried  it by flipping the visor upa nd down and it seems to stay in place and is a snug fit. Next is the acid (or water) test. Need to wear it in the rain and see how it performs.

Just thought I'd share this as a simple and cheap solution to the gasket problem that I am sure others have or may experience at sometime.

While looking for a solution I came across a suggestion to use some kind of oil (any cheap oil would do but the best is hand cream) and apply it occasionally on the gasket to prevent it from drying out and breaking off. Apparently some Schubert helmets come with a little vial of oil for this purpose.