Author Topic: Anakee Adventure - Long Term(ish) Review  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Anakee Adventure - Long Term(ish) Review
« on: July 21, 2022, 10:06:46 »
TL;DR, very good, me like ;)

* I've really enjoyed this tyre, grippy as hell in the dry and my confidence in the wet and drying conditions has improved no end (This may just be more riding hours but I swear the tyres have helped). Did the Kielder Forest Drive (12 miles of unsealed gravel and on a damp day following rain) and I was definitely the most comfortable of our group, yes I have a lot of hours on an MTB but those on pure road tyres seemed to suffer a lot more fishtailing in the muddy bits and a lot more wheel spin in the loose stoney bits (their refusal to stand up won't have helped mind). Safe to say my chronic 'Gravel Car Parkitis' is completely cured ;)
Lifespan, the question everyone asks, especially at a time like this.
Photos below at nearly 7k, front and rear are down to about 2.5-3mm to go until the wear bars, not sure where they started but I expect a good few miles yet, 10k Anakee III territory might be a push too far. The shoulders have rippled up whereas the centre hasn't so the dual compounds are seemingly a fair bit different which is nice. Even this tyre will die from squaring off first and I don't really do any mile munching but I like to think I'll have got value for money out of the whole width rather than just the strip down the middle. Hard road riding in the European heat wave did reveal a bit of deformation on the leading edge of the shoulder blocks, I think you could kill the edges before the middle if you were exclusively railing twisties, this 'give' never felt like squirm to me though.
Think I'll probably have another set unless they release something new before I'm ready.

Offline Rixington43

Re: Anakee Adventure - Long Term(ish) Review
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 11:13:59 »
Final report;

Rear is on the wear bars at 8.5K, would perhaps pass an MOT if the tester was tame but I won't risk it. Yes it's squared off but the transition is fairly rounded so it isn't giving me that "Drop off a cliff" feeling
Front is fine but buggered headrace bearings and a slightly loose wheel bearing towards the last few thousand miles have caused it to scallop a bit unevenly on one side so a new pair are going on this Friday.
Christ they've become expensive but I still think they're worth the coin so on go another set.

Offline Rookie

• Bike: DL1000 K7
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 18:51:45 »
It's nice to see a good report on tyres, it will soon be time for new hoops for my bike. As I have the same bike I will certainly consider these, although looking at your picture I'm probably a fair bit heavier than you so they might not go quite as far  lol
That ain't rain it's liquid sunshine 🌞

Offline Rixington43

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 20:31:06 »
I'm about 15st geared up but before lunch  :grin:

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 20:42:12 »
Have these on my BMW, I'm about 5k in on my second set, great tyres... !!

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Cadbal

• Bike: DL1000
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 06:07:20 »
Looking at picking a set of these up, got a few months left on my current tyres though...maybe  :grin:

Anywhere online you blokes can recommend getting a pair for a decent price?

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 16:45:16 »
I have a pair and agree, brilliant tyres! I have covered 6k so far and just as Rixington43 mentioned, the rear is squaring off but the bike still transitions on the twisty roads nicely. The front I reckon will do 10k, the rear probably 8k before I change but I will replace with the same again as perfect for me.
Suzuki DL650 Blue K5 (2005) V-Strom

Offline REM

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 12:07:21 »
I have the same but ….when I ride z1000sx Pirelli angel GT I make 14000 miles ….. I hope I make more mileage

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2024, 21:55:23 »
I have read reports that the anakee adventure are a noisy tyre? OK in a straight line but they make noise when leaned over etc, anyone found this problem with them?

Offline Rixington43

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2024, 11:06:12 »
I can't say as I've noticed an increase in noise over the previous Anakee IIIs and the missus also swapped IIIs for adventures on her bike with no discernable difference. Granted I'm a poor reference as I wouldn't notice a small increase over the cacophany of cam gears, airbox and exhaust.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2024, 11:55:27 »
I wouldn't hear my tyres if they were screaming at me (I'm partially deaf, ex Army, lot's of bangs) but I would LOVE to.  :thumb: :auto-dirtbike:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline kwackboy

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2024, 19:01:08 »
I have read reports that the anakee adventure are a noisy tyre? OK in a straight line but they make noise when leaned over.

Since upgrading my wheels to the more popular sizing,  120/70/19 front and 170/60/17 rear I have noticed this however,  they're not that bad.

My other standard wheels, which are a 90/90/21 front and 150/70/17 rear, not so much .

The narrower tyres are less "blocky" , so to speak, which would make less noise.

Being honest though, I don't mind this because the Anakee Adventures are a brilliant tyre.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 20:54:40 »
I'm sure they'll be fine, it's not so much the noise as the bit of vibration they might cause?
On another thread about bridgestone Ianmc was saying that he found a lot of noise from the bridgestone A41T's.
Like everything I suppose you have to try it and find out for yourself.

Offline kwackboy

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2024, 21:07:02 »
No vibrations at all ...
Chief trouble maker 🙂