Author Topic: New tyres  (Read 5825 times)

Offline VstromDan1000

New tyres
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:57:02 »
Just bought some new tyres, Watling Tyres in Gillingham, £245 the pair fitted, ride in service.  Being fitted on Tuesday. :lala:

I wanted BT021's but they don't do a front in the V strom size, they do a rear but on speaking to Bridgestone they won't recomment the 021 for the Stroms on either wheel but they will fit it to the rear is asked. :shrug:

The only tyres that Suzuki recommend for the Strom's are the Trailwings, the Battlaxe and the 020's. :wtf:
CALM DOWN AND CARRY ON

4 wheels carry the body, 2 wheels carry the soul

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity

Offline Jarv

Re: New tyres
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:07:16 »
that's good value in my book.

I paid around £145 for a rear tyre to be fitted the other week at 21 Moto in Swanley.
I know when you're talking bollocks because your lips move!!!!!

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 10:56:03 »
Glad I'm not in your book then, Jarv.

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 03:44:06 »
Must admit that sounds a tad expensive.

My local Tyre retailer wil do a pair of Conti Road Atacks for £174 plus a tenner a wheel for ride in ride out service. Avons Distanzia's were quoted ay £170 - These won best Dual purpose tyre in a recent 'Bike' comparion test so I had them fitted to my Tiger 955i back in March and what a fantastic ride they were

My Little Bro has BT020's fitted to his KLV at the moment and by shopping around He got them fitted for just less than £200 to loose wheels. He wouldn't have anything else fitted but I prefer the look of Dual Purpose Tyres on a Dual Purpoise bike like the V-Strom
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline jilljoy

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 15:47:03 »
I paid  Â£100 fitted for 021 rear,tyre services

Offline badger 1050

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 21:11:36 »
took the wheel and tyre to watlings from my wifes r6 and had a 021 fitted to that £114 fitted inc valve and balance normally just get a tyre and either fit it myself or take it up to them to fit depends on how much time I have got and what its being fitted to

Offline Dr.Jekyll

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 21:14:49 »
So everyone who is taking loose wheels into the tyre place: how do you support the bike with both wheels off?

Offline badger 1050

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 21:23:42 »
I use paddock stands for her bike and my other bikes when I have had to but the strom has not yet had that pleasure but will use the centre stand take the back out first and jack up under the exhaust to take the front wheel out  but put something under the back so it does not go down to far

Offline VstromDan1000

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 14:14:04 »
My dealer wanted over £320 for the pair of tyres (Bowen Moto in Chatham)  I thought £245 wasn't bad, I know its not the cheapest but acceptable.

It should have been £248.75 but he took £245 no problem.
CALM DOWN AND CARRY ON

Offline MARBLE600

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 11:48:45 »
Quote from: "dogpuf"
Must admit that sounds a tad expensive.

My Little Bro has BT020's fitted to his KLV at the moment and by shopping around He got them fitted for just less than £200 to loose wheels. He wouldn't have anything else fitted but I prefer the look of Dual Purpose Tyres on a Dual Purpoise bike like the V-Strom

I'm going to fit 020 front 021 back next time around. Not until next year though I hope still got at lease a couple of k left in the current ens and with winter around the corner :cry: that will b well into next year for me
KLV1000 A2H plus Madstad bracket with sports screen, Corbin touring seat,Remus revolution alloy slip ons ,PC3, K&N filter, migsel mount, R&G frame sliders, rox risers, renthal bars, fork brace,carbon fibre rear hugger, goodridge hoses..

Offline badger 1050

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 20:13:28 »
so when do we get a review of the new tyres then dan can only be 1 ride to get the 1 hundred miles out the way then it must be knee down all the way  :thumb:

Offline VstromDan1000

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 10:03:23 »
Quote from: "badger 1000"
so when do we get a review of the new tyres then dan can only be 1 ride to get the 1 hundred miles out the way then it must be knee down all the way  :thumb:

First time out on the new tyres yesterday and..................  went around a corner and found about 100 broken house bricks dumped across the road............. doh,  bump bump bounce bounce!! :GRR:

had to stop and check them out, thankfully they were fine.

When I got to work I had a good look at them, I’ve managed to push all the new tyre silicon stuff right the way to the edges of both sides so I’m quite confident in them. :shy:
CALM DOWN AND CARRY ON

Offline SgtSmash

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 19:22:47 »
Just had a new Tourance put on the rear!

£104 fitted.

Any one else uses Tourances - any comments?  What sort of mileage are you getting from fronts and rears?
I'm quite pleased with the tyres - but then again, they're the only ones I've had on the Strom.

PS.  Andy, so much for "plenty of life left in the tyres"! :sarc:  :grin:
"Reading isn't an occupation we encourage amongst Police Officers. We try to keep paperwork down to a minimum" -Orten.

"Warning! You want a warning? O.K., I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket." - Anon .

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 21:58:50 »
Got an issue with going to road Tyres which is this ....
I get 7K out of the Battlewings both ends, and I can push the Vee hard enough to virtually scrub the entire front tyre barring about 6mm off the edges in corners, so how much more lean angle can I get without raising the pegs up the frame? And finally big block Vee Twins are notorious for killing rear tyres if pushed rather hard, so going to a pure road tyre is surely going to have a costly effect when I start changing tyres in half the mileage.

So can someone explain why this whole business of getting rid of perfectly decent Dual Sport factory recommended Battlewings for road Tyres that are not??

This is not knocking anyone who has but considering the cost of replacing a set of Tyres with a risk you might loath them, could be a costly risk if you're wrong :shrug:

The Tourance's are reportedly the best dual sport Tyres in group tests, and a friend on a GS1150 Adventure who is a total lunatic swears by them, and the mileage is the same or possibly a thousand miles more than the battlewings under fast conditions in Wales :thumb:
[PS: This was the standard Tourance not the special EX... something road versions, he tried those and binned them after 2'000 miles cos they nearly killed him several times before he went back to the bog standard ones]
Grrrr:-)

Previously: K7 DL650GT [Stolen by wife] K6 DL1000GT, CBR600F-V, DT-125, ER50

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 22:06:28 »
Quote from: "SgtSmash"
PS.  Andy, so much for "plenty of life left in the tyres"! :sarc:  :grin:

I'm sure there was a "unless you ride the big V like a loon, then you will destroy the rear tyre in no time" caveat?  :grin:

When I first got the Vee I destroyed the rear tyre in around 3k  :shock:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 22:23:44 »
Quote from: "Andy V-Strom"
When I first got the Vee I destroyed the rear tyre in around 3k  :shock:
and 15K from the front cos it was in the air most of the time lol
Grrrr:-)

Previously: K7 DL650GT [Stolen by wife] K6 DL1000GT, CBR600F-V, DT-125, ER50