Author Topic: Road tyres - recommendations needed  (Read 5722 times)

Offline Fletch

Road tyres - recommendations needed
« on: May 04, 2009, 21:30:27 »
My 130 mile daily commute has eaten my tyres! I'm currently sporting Metzler Tourances, which I like, look good at a stand still on the bike, and have had no probs with. Decent grip even when cranked right over for the centrestand to touch down  :grin:

But I realise that this bike isn't going to tackle gravel tracks or muddy paths - so has anyone got any recommendations for a road tyre which will last a decent amount of miles - hopefully as much as the Tourance.

Cheers
Always do just enough

MOTO-A-GO-GO!!!

Offline Stumpy

Re: Road tyres - recommendations needed
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 06:34:59 »
All personal choice, but I don't find any problem with the standard Trailwings (there's two types - the standard as fitted out of the crate, and the '52 which is slightly chunkier and recoomended if you're spending a bit more time off road).

I find a rear lasts me around 7000 miles ... a front roughly double that.  They grip fine ... only begin to feel as if they're letting go in the corners when they;re at end of life, and grip right up to the edge of the tyre (well, enough so you can ground out the pegs in every corner anyway)...
Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous?

C code. C code run. Run code run…please!

Offline WonkyDonkey

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 06:43:10 »
As above it's personal choice but I now have Continental Pilot Road on my Strom - both front and back.

Had them on for 4500 miles and the rear isn't really showing signs of wear. I commute 50 miles a day and also use the bike for blasting at weekends.

Grip is excellent but be aware that the "turn in" to corners is a little more sharp but is much more sure footed than the stock Trailwing tyres.

I'm not a racer but do like and play around the lanes and these tyres have served me well up to now.

Let's put it this way - when they need changing I'll be going for another set.

(Not that this is any recommendation but Nick Sanders used them on his latest trip around the world and loves them - I know cos I asked him last time I saw him  :-)  )
Whilst looking for the tree on the bend.... I hit a bloody pothole !!!

Offline KLV-Rider

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 11:01:17 »
Bridgestone Battlewings or Continental Trail Attack for me....wouldn't mind trying the new multi compound Dunlop RoadSmart though.... :thumb:

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 15:57:25 »
Nice to hear your views on the Trailwing, Stumpy. I too just fitted a new rear Trailwing at 7500 miles because I was very happy with the original one. (It was well knackered by 7500)

There seems to be a thing with all bikes that people want to get away from the manufacturers recommendation but, in the case of my V-Strom, I like the tyres.

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 20:02:24 »
Quote from: "WonkyDonkey"
(Not that this is any recommendation but Nick Sanders used them on his latest trip around the world and loves them - I know cos I asked him last time I saw him  :-)  )
[/color]

As I was saying to the Queen the other day - I can't stand namedroppers! Only kidding!

What about Bridgestone BT 020 /021s?
No bike at present.......

Offline Kawasuki

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 11:31:46 »
I've just swopped to Conti road attacks and I LOVE em to bits, dry grip is fantastic, and the wet is more than enough.  :thumb:
before that I had the Trail attacks and was very happy with them......... so if u want a tyre that does it all, Grip, loose grit track, and hard wearing, its the trail attack.........
.......... If you want a bonkers road tyre then go for the Road attack........ :crazy:
Hope this helps m8
If you don't have a bike...........then you're not a biker.........

Offline Fletch

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 14:47:49 »
I'm just waiting for my metzler tourance to wear out then its definately a proper road tyre. I'd be interested as to what mileage you get from the conti's and what people generally get from the 021's too.

P.S. This dry sunny weather is flupppin amazing! Vroooooom!
Always do just enough

MOTO-A-GO-GO!!!

Offline jenky9r

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 16:40:07 »
I have no problem recommending the Conti road attacks as they are one of the best tyres I’ve used, all be it on my last bike, 3 rear, 2 fronts in all.
However the trail attack is meant to use the same compound as the road attack but with 9mm tread depth as opposed to the 7mm on the road attacks, which should give you more miles?
I’d intended to try them next as I’ve just worn the Bridgestone’s out at 4500miles which I was very disappointed with especially when I read some of you got 7500 out of yours!
Regards,
Mark

Offline Kawasuki

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 20:31:04 »
It mite b worthwhile giving minkyhead a PM, he's had conti road attacks and loved them, but more importantly will b able to let u know what mileage he got from them.
I've done 1500 on mine in 3 weeks and still looking good  :clap:
If you don't have a bike...........then you're not a biker.........

Offline Spottyplayer

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 21:39:10 »
I recently fitted the tourences on my strom after not enjoying the quickly squaring trailwings and am very happy with them. They where great on the mild terrain in the becons  and they are fantastic on the tarmac. The only problem is, what I save on tyre ware is probably going to cost me on foot peg and boot ware!  :thumb: