Author Topic: Tyre Choice  (Read 15597 times)

Offline Stumpy

Re: Tyre Choice
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 18:09:37 »
Compared to the Battlewings, I'm not sure to be honest ... compared the stock D208s on the SV though they are a considerably harder compound ... sorry, should have qualified that in my last post  :)
Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous?

C code. C code run. Run code run…please!

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 18:46:39 »
My personal worry is going back to the sub 3K miles for a rear tyre, had all that with the Bridgestone 021s on the CBR. And the 014s on the front needed so much work to warm up outside of Summer it was getting beyond a joke. And that was a lickle 600 inline four with 60% of the torque of the Vee

So I await you're reports KLV once you've got them bedded in, and thankfully I've been gentle on the throttle since I got my Battlewings they are almost new so a while to go yet .... until the tarmac warms up anyways :neen:
Grrrr:-)

Previously: K7 DL650GT [Stolen by wife] K6 DL1000GT, CBR600F-V, DT-125, ER50

Offline Motofrog

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 18:41:32 »
I had Conti road attacks on last bike. Lasted longer than any other tyre I have ever had. 9.5 k rear front had done same and was 2/3 rds worn. Good grip and felt secure.  I will go for them when the time comes :grin:
The search for toys goes ON

Offline Gordon T

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 19:13:09 »
Just ordered a pair of Maxxis Presa Detour Adventure tyres for mine. They are quite new and untested as yet on the forums. Will let you know the outcome hopefully soon. Will be getting fitted midweek hopefully.
Whoooosh!!!!!! `What was that?` That was your life passing by. `Can I have another go as I havent done anything yet?`........ Sorry, only one go for everyone.

Offline Chris Graves

• Bike: V-Strom DL 650, ZZR 1100, Honda CRF250L
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 19:35:52 »
Quote from: "MR TiGGer"
Quote from: "Chris Graves"
Michelin Pilot Road haven't reached the limit yet and they seem to wear well
and the mileage for front & rear so far is.............??

Finally got around to checking mileage and to date 5400 enthusiastic miles.  Can't say how many mm left as I don't know where my depth gauge is  :crazy:   I'd guess around halfway worn. Like Mr KLV rider's choice of tyres these Michelin Pilots start out with extra tread depth.

Offline Gordon T

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 18:21:20 »
Just thought I would share a few pics of the new tyre for the Strom from Maxxis. This tyre has been out for about 3 weeks as I write.

don't know how they compare to the original Maxxis tyres, but the originals do seem to have had a decent writeup. The coin is a 5p piece in case the pics don't come out clear enough.
Had to have a new pair fitted as the originals had been on the bike for 4 yrs and were showing signs of squaring off and cracking . Just hope they do the business in terms of long life and grip etc. They only have about 8 miles on then so plenty of time to get used to them. Priced at £180 from M&S Newcastle, ride in ride out. The first 4 pics are from the rear tyre the other 4 from the front.
Whoooosh!!!!!! `What was that?` That was your life passing by. `Can I have another go as I havent done anything yet?`........ Sorry, only one go for everyone.

Offline KLV-Rider

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 14:55:06 »
Well, my new tyres have just arrived, getting them fitted tomorrow.

Continental TrailAtacks.

Offline Timo

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 17:08:15 »
Just coming up to the time to change mine... What do you think of the Conti Trail Attacks, KLV?

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 17:32:12 »
I'm coming up for a new set and had a long think about this, and am going to take the advice of SPOD Warrington. "If you're happy with the Factory choice and have no issues then stick with them".

I love the Strom on the Battlewings and can happily crank it over all day long without any worries of the front letting go when the pegs touch the ground so I'll suggest the suspension being properly setup is more an important idea than the Tyres and leave things well alone, before spending £200 on a set of Tyres I may come to hate or fear

The factory suspension setup is bloody awful in my humblest opinion, for scooting around chasing Fireblades :thumb:

Offline KLV-Rider

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 18:36:29 »
Quote from: "MR TiGGer"
If you're happy with the Factory choice and have no issues then stick with them[/I]".

If that was the case tigger we'd be on 'Trail' wings....aptly named 'death' wings.... :neen: ....Battlewings are a great tyre, they are not the factory supplied tyre....but....they bloody well should be.

Offline KLV-Rider

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 18:43:09 »
Quote from: "Timo"
Just coming up to the time to change mine... What do you think of the Conti Trail Attacks, KLV?

Great tyres, I'm a big Battlewing fan but the Conti's do have the edge if sporty riding is what you predominantly do....I'll stick with these for the time being....the only other tyre I'd suggest a good look at is the Dunlop Roadsmart which is now available in 'our' size.

Tyres are a personal thing....I wish we could 'try before we buy'.... :thumb:

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 19:03:41 »
you pedantic tart ###

lol

The Battlewings are the result of R&D after the Trialwings which had something like 5 different versions for the GS, DL, Capanord etc etc
Also they work very well and are Bridgestones :neen:

Offline KLV-Rider

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 20:13:51 »
Pedantic, pedantic....lol.... lol  lol .... :neen:

Andy, where is the 'Backtracking' smilie....we need one for Tigger.... :neen:

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 20:37:05 »
ahhh shush!!! :GRR:

:grin:

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 20:48:05 »
How about a hole digging one

:haha:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline vfr800

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 21:41:48 »
My bike came with the Michelin Anakee's on it - seem fine to me but I don't have the experience with any different tyre types on this bike - I had Michelin Pilot 2CT on my previous bike - they were a really good tyre in the wet - but they don't do these in the front V Strom front tyre size. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread for some suggestions for future Tyre choice so maybe the info an be summarised at some point. (just an idea).

Bye the way has anybody tried the higher ride height mod using "dog bones" and does it make any difference to the handling ?

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 18:37:12 »
Hi, I've just fitted Avon Distanzia's to my 1000 K6 and they suit the bike fine - cheap too. I had a couple of sets of Avon's on my previous Varadero & Transalp's and they were spot on, good mileage and very grippy - all the way to the pegs ! Not the stickiest in the wet, but plenty of feel, so you know when you're pushing Your luck.
 As for the dogbones, I've fitted some to mine ( + 25mm ) and the difference is staggering ! Much sharper, faster steering and better feedback, but no loss of stability (if anything it's LESS wobbly...). Coupled with some uprated fork springs it's FUN in the twisties !
Ride safe, Bry.   :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 23:46:11 »
I'm a bridgstone type of bloke...I've run    all the below  tyres  on big trailies  

mileage rear  
trailwings   ....... :-x                                                                                                             600.000      
tourance      :thumb:                                                                                                               6000
battlewings :thumb:  :thumb:                                                                                                   7000
pilot  road    :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:                                                                                    9000 :shock:
conti road attack   :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:                                                              5500
bt o20s :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :grin:  :clap:    7000

020s for   outstanding wet weather grip  by far the best when raining   ..overbanding white lines ect     ....swings it for me

interesting the same tyre on the wee strom gives me 4000 extra miles    :shock:
road attacks  look real cool   very pretty patterns     ,,well when new anyway  

By minkyhead

020s
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2009, 21:50:44 »
found this   .bike  trailie tyre test      .....2007
 the one thing missing is wet weather  ...I still think the bridgstones are  better in this depatrment  

it seems a big ommission from any test of tyres to me   ...but the track times are interesting   ...all tyres  shod on a 1200gs  .....

By minkyhead

By minkyhead

By minkyhead
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2009, 23:16:14 »
Quote from: "minkyhead"
found this   .bike  trailie tyre test      .....2007
 the one thing missing is wet weather  ...I still think the bridgstones are  better in this depatrment  
Not what other tests have shown, the Road Pilots are always top of the tree for wet weather in group tests and from experience with the peeps I ride out with, the Pilots also give excellent mileage unlike the bridgestones which flat spot way too easy on the rear.

Track times are of course interesting but longevity is very important and the Battlewings work well and last for bloody ages