Oily Rag - Dedicated to Pat, Greywolf. 26/06/45 - 04/06/18 > Oil/Lubrication

Fork Oil DL650 (2013)

(1/4) > >>

Ian T:
Hi

I normally try and be as precise as I can with things on bikes, but I am just about to change the fork oil as it has never been done, so I thought I would do the seals as well, not that they need them, but the forks will be out.

My question is please, the good old book states 530cc in each fork, the oil comes in 1 litre containers, would the world end tomorrow if I just bung 500cc in each or is it that critical.

I will obviously be measuring the air gap, and if I wasn’t replacing the seals then I would assume some remnants of the old oil would remain thereby bolstering the volume. But as I will be taking the forks apart to do the seals I would assume a good clean up would remove any old oil.

So all things being equal and it takes 500cc in each leg and say the air gap is a fraction under, but equal in each leg, would that be OK. Or would I need to get it spot on and get over the 1 ltr bottle.

Cheers

Ian

UK_Vstrom650:
I went by the book and bought two bottles, but the chap in the bike shop said they'd just put 500ml in each side if they were doing it.
I think if I was doing it again, I'd probably just split 1 bottle in half. As you said, just ensure the air gap on each side is equal  :thumb:

endintears:
It's only six percent less but as it specifically states five hundred and thirty then presumably it makes a difference.
Maybe save a bit of the old oil to make up the difference  :shrug:

Ianmc:
    It doesn't make any noticable difference,it just means the air gap at the top of the leg is slightly more which makes the suspension VERY slightly softer.
    I did this on my L2 and used 7.5w oil as well,it made the ride more subtle until I put A41 tyres on,mmm……never again they are really stiff on the sidewalls.

sjrainsford:
I purposely put 500 in each side on mine to increase the air gap slightly.  And it's a worth while improvement.  Just dials back a little of the harshness over uneven surfaces.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version