Oily Rag - Dedicated to Pat, Greywolf. 26/06/45 - 04/06/18 > Oil/Lubrication

Why not change oil when engine is cold?

(1/3) > >>

bonne:
Well... it is obvious that warm oil will "run" better than cold oil... but if engine is cold and have been resting for a day, I guess most of the oil is already in the sump and not splashed all over the engine.

I mean.. I always change with warm engine... because this is what we are told. But I want to try and challenge the traditional knowledge with this question?

Ianmc:
   The idea of warming up the oil before draining is two fold.Firstly it drains much quicker, but more importantly all of the contaminants that you are replacing the oil to get rid of, are well mixed up with the old oil,and not left lurking in the bottom of the sump or oil tank.

porter:
 Done it both warm and cold. I know warm is supposed to better but never had a problem cold. If cold I just let the car or bike sit overnight with the sump plug out so it's well drained and it was taken a run before it cooled.

bonne:
I just want to get as much of the old, dirty oil out before I pour in the new, fresh one. I often find that the new oil gets too dark too quickly.

To get the last drops out, I tilt the bike from side to side, set it in 6th, push the bike, and a few drops comes out again.

I am told that back in the days, people sometimes flushed the engine with some cleaning fluid for the purpose before adding the new old, but because oil today is better it is no longer needed. But maybe a good idea anyway?

kwackboy:
Nothing wrong with flushing your engine.

In the past I've used a cheap 10w40 to flush out the old oil, then after, fill it with the good stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version