Author Topic: 5 days in Germany.  (Read 640 times)

Offline jmee54

• Bike: DL650 L7, Guzzi 73 Eldorado, 71 Ambasador, 79 Convert
5 days in Germany.
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:35:50 »
Just spent 5 days in Germany in the Harz mountains (hills). I have never been a fast rider, but being with a group of enthusiastic Rossi wanabees I had no choice but to hone my cornering skills and as the days went by my chicken strips and confidence decreased and increased proportionally. Helped by perfectly surfaced roads and man holes that sit flush and have a non slip surface as good as the road surface. Why oh why do we suffer mirror polished metal covers in the middle of bends and roads that you would expect to be better in third world countries?
On the other hand, I came as close to death as it is possible and survive.
Riding in the fast lane on the autobahn, (6 in staggered formation) the overhead gantry showed a red X denoting the lane was closing - we pulled into the centre lane. Then the red striped bollard strips appeared in the fast lane along with a large SUV oblivious to the fact that they were there until it was ploughing through them at great speed, then swerving into the centre lane, missing my front wheel by such a close distance that I still can't believe I avoided meeting my maker.
I was second in the group. The bloke in front seeing the action in his mirrors slowed to check I was OK and at the next services the blokes behind described the carnage as the bollards flew, taking out the car's mirror and then watched in disbelief as it swerved across the carriageway sure I was going to be taken out.

We hear a lot about German driving standards being excellent, but I must say that I saw no end of tailgaters in the outside lane driving so fast, but so stupidly close to the vehicle in front.

Germans on the whole were extremely friendly and helpful and the towns, villages and roads free from litter and debris.

And the Harz roads - superb! If like me you are a steady rider, ridden at your own pace, you will soon discover your tyres and bike have an ability to go round corners much quicker than you ever imagined! Try the 36 bends of the Kyffhauser.
The rest of the area is almost as good too, even on a V Strom 650.