Author Topic: SATNAV  (Read 3494 times)

Offline seaninis

SATNAV
« on: April 12, 2011, 18:26:52 »
gents..picking up my first v strom 1000 at the weekend. lve in thre highlanfds and do a lot of mileage for my job...a satnav would be lovely one that can poick up phone and also one that I can upload music/audiobooks etc...can anyone suggest a good reliable one and what type of fitting it would require.

cheers,

sean

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: SATNAV
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 19:13:33 »
Sounds like you need a Garmin 660 to do what you want it to do. Check this thread for info.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 22:47:50 »
I'd plump for the Garmin Zumo 550 - the kit comes with everything you need to fit it on your motobike

Very robust and well tried and tested unit
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:59:44 »
You can't buy the Zumo 550 new anymore (at least not according to the Garmin site), but you can probably get a 2nd hand one off Ebay or somewhere. Compare them on the Garmin site though, the Zumo 550 looked a bit outdated when I did the comparison.

Edit: My bad, you CAN still buy the Zumo 550  :shy:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline fishy23

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 09:00:20 »
Hello about satnav I did it the cheap way I got a Garmin one xl routes for £60 and hacked it by soldering in a 3.5 headphone socket it was easy to do. It is a great little satnav and you can import routes from that addon called tyre (available free on the net) by the way the the net shows how to take the device appart, of course you would lose your warranty but for what I paid I was'nt bothered. hope this is some help  Fishy23

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:26:05 »
Some of the reviews I've seen for Garmin units suggest some of their routes are questionable at best. I can't say I'm 100% sold on the idea of a Garmin unit..
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:28:02 »
I've used a Garmin for years (in the car), also borrowed a mate's new TomTom recently when trying to decide what to get for the bike. I hated the Tomtom because most of the time it doesn't allow you to pick the road name or house number (the interface isn't very intuitive either, but that's probably down to personal preference.) I found the routing bad, tried taking me through a private (barricaded) route after I missed a turn to get me back on the road I was supposed to be on. The maps weren't accurate either, missing 'new' roads that's been around for a few years and trying to take me up one ways. I gave it a fair chance and used it more than a few times to see if it wasn't perhaps just bad luck the first times. I decided against TomTom, bought the HTC Desire, bought the Sygic Aura satnav app and used that instead, had the same issues with it (plus some more) and then found out they used the same maps as TomTom. I got a refund for that and bought a Garmin Zumo 220, Navteq maps are in my opinion the best around and Garmin does routing the way I want it to be done.

Garmin & TomTom aren't the only satnav manufacturers, I've heard good things about the Navigon (considering the price) and various others. I guess it's just the same old story here too: everyone should go with what they end up liking the best, for me that seems to always be the Garmin units.

Offline fishy23

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 11:48:27 »
Sorry blokes I said Garmin one of course it should be a tomtom one I modified. Well I have had both  Garmin and Tomtom and all I can say is that the tomtom mapping where I live (north uk) is more accurate than the Garmin they all have their little quirks.  Before I retired was an engineer I travelled all over and in those days and used a tomtom on a pda and found the mapping very accurate. I bought my daughters new garmins at xmas and they definately have mistakes in the mapping. I like tomtom because of the features you can add (like voice warnings) The routing question well I travel all over Scotland and the routes I have set up with tyre are really good and easy to edit / use. To sum up this little unit for 60 quid gives me speed warning, lane guidance, spoken warnings and I like the tomtom help blokes the only minus point for me is with the mod I have to use wired headphones, but so what I don't want to spend a lot of money on things I can work out by myself. Regards Fishy23

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 20:18:50 »
TomTom Rider V2 fitted this evening.

I've had TomTom for a while now and like the layout. The V2 is definately robust in looks and feel, and I like the whole "for the bike" thing going on with the Rider over my Go1000.

Fitting took no time at all. Even though the SW-Motech DL specific mount had some machining problems which meant replacing some of the screws with stainless steel fasteners, but that wasn't TomTom's fault. In fairness, with one little problem aside, the SW-Motech mount is very well designed with rubber vibration-free mounts that fit over the handlebar mounts (longer bolts supplied). The position of the satnav from a rider's perspective is just below the speedo and rev counter (remember I have an early K3 so the screen mounts don't fit on mine).

Running the power cable was a cinch and I used the connector for my battery charger to supply the power, I can always disconnect it breifly should I need to revert to the charger.

TomTom's mount was fitted to the SW-Motech bracket, and the Rider slipped on the mount with a satisfyingly pleasant "click".

The next job of fitting the SCALA headset filled me with dread, but I used the same technique as I used to employ when fitting Autocom headsets at Motorcycle City, it was positioned in just a few minutes and it paired within 60 seconds or so. I then paired my phone and it all works great  :lala:

Got it from SatNavEasy on 't interweb. £265 all in, use the code "THURGO" for an extra £5 off which almost covers the P&P which is Next Day via Interlink.

In the box:
TomTom Rider V2
RAM Mount Kit
SCALA bluetooth headset
Case
TomTom Home2 CD
Home Charger,
USB Cable
And a lot of really useful instructions and stuff.

Loading TomTom Home2 CD on the PC updated all the maps to the newest available and it offered me updates for the next 12 months for £19.98 with a further 6 months updates for free.

Tick VG from me for TomTom....again  :clap: I'm ready for our 3 or 4 day tour around the Peak District at Easter  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 13:09:02 »
Garmin 220 got delivered today, bloody thing doesn't support post code search! I could swear I read that it did support full post code search and went off and searched for where I had seen this. Several sites has the tech specs showing that it does, but not the Garmin site. Any satnav for road use that doesn't support searching by the post could is useless IMHO. It's going back, thought I'd mention it here so no one else has the same issue.

Edit: It does have a FULL post code search after finding satellites the first time, I was just being a noob!

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 13:34:53 »
So how does the Garmin 220 search? Is it just by road name? I don't think I've ever seen a satnav without post code search before, even the really old ones had 4 or 5 digit searches.

Had first outing with Rider V2 today, I wasn't convinced the headset would be loud enough, but I was wrong, I had to turn the volume down a bit (90mph on a private road occifer). The only thing is, I can't quite work out how to get it over to "bike mode" with just the 4 buttons on the menu. Time to search 't interweb!

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 13:38:22 »
You put in the town, then the house number and then the road name. My 'el cheapo old nuvi 200 does full post code without any issues. Doesn't seem like the 660 supports it, can't find that the TomTom Rider does either.

rascaltrousers

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 13:42:58 »
I used to have a Harman kardon gps 500. It had full european coverage, a headphone socket, mp3 and movie player and an SD card slot for file storage. It was £100 from Maplins. Sounds perfect but it did have a couple of drawbacks. It was a car unit so not waterproof but I used it in the top of the tank bag. Also it's battery was pathetic at 3 hours, but a cigar ligther lead for the optimate at £12 sorted that. Unfortunately it packed up last year and Harman kardon no longer list sat navs on their website. I still have a car one that I use on the bike. it is an older navman that I got free through my local freecycle group, and I've seen a nice handlebar mounted waterproof bag on Amazon for about £15. I'm afraid I don't have the budget for a fancy bike one although I'd like one someday. Of course you can always route plan on google and print sheets of directions. I've toured Europe with no map and seven sheets of paper printed with route plans before now :grin:

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 13:46:23 »
Very odd, that seems to be a bit of problem, is there a way of updating the software online, perhaps the OS is old? Its unlikely, just a thought though.

Cannot comment on the V1 TomTom Rider, but the Rider V2 does, so presumably would the newer Urbans, full 7 digit postcode search, at least it did this morning when I told it to get me to work........

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 15:26:51 »
I can plan it all on the map software and upload routes. I guess it's just as accurate using town+street search as a post code would be, but it just seems so unnecessary if you could just search by post code. I'm extremely disappointed that it doesn't have this seemingly simply feature. I know the maps support it because I have the same maps on my old nuvi 200. I guess since I bought it for the bike and I still have the car satnav I'm only really going to use the Zumo for bike trips and it won't be so terrible to have to use town+street search instead of postcode. Chances are I will plan the whole ride on the computer anyway. I'll think about it again once I'm less angry about it :)

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 19:32:54 »
Please mock me for I have been a right noob! I decided to use the satnav on the way home. Got into the car, turned it on and let if find satellites for the first time. Changed it to car mode and then proceeded to set my destination and it bloody has a FULL post code search now! I just needed to let it find satellites, changed it to motorcycle mode just to make sure and it gave a post code search in that too now. Can't be happier than I am now, even if I feel very stupid at the same time too  :lala:

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 21:00:33 »
:angry-tappingfoot:

D'oh!

Offline Sven

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 21:01:30 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Please mock me for I have been a right noob! I decided to use the satnav on the way home. Got into the car, turned it on and let if find satellites for the first time. Changed it to car mode and then proceeded to set my destination and it bloody has a FULL post code search now! I just needed to let it find satellites, changed it to motorcycle mode just to make sure and it gave a post code search in that too now. Can't be happier than I am now, even if I feel very stupid at the same time too  :lala:

lol Brilliant.
Don't think anyone on here will mock you.............NOT.
Let the flood gates open....

Glad you've got it sorted......nothing worse than getting a new gadget & it not working/doing what it should.

Offline coopmick

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 07:48:28 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
lol  lol  lol
Treat life's little problems like your dog would ... If you can't eat it or shag it, ... Piss on it and walk away!!!