Author Topic: Returning a lowered bike to standard height  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Billabong

Returning a lowered bike to standard height
« on: September 08, 2018, 11:56:40 »
Being a mechanical numpty, how easy (or not) is it to return a lowered Glee to being a standard height bike please?

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: Returning a lowered bike to standard height
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 12:43:20 »
Should be easy,maybe an hour, you will need standard dog bones for the rear linkage, and maybe lower the forks in their clamps to the standard height.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 13:05:08 »
All depends how it's been lowered.
The usual options are chaning parts of the rear shock linkage refured to as dog bones due to their shape. The other is to drop the fork clamps further down the for stantions thus dropping the nose end.
The other option is to replace the seat with a lowered one or have the standard seat reshaped and re-covered.

You will need a centre stand and a helper to raise and lower the rear wheel and help hold the bike while you play around with the fork clamps. A trolly jack is also required to hold the weight of the bike under the engine when the fork clamps are loosened or the front end will take a dive to the ground.

I would strongly advise you to have someone who's done this kind of work be with you when to cunduct this kind of work.

Ride Coordinator

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 13:41:56 »
I agree , always a good idea to have someone there who has done similar work,and nut makes the job easier 4 handed.

Offline Billabong

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 13:51:29 »
Thanks all!

Offline rayboy68

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 16:07:49 »
Yeah just has Wurzel has highlighted above, if its been lowered, change dog bones back to std, do you have them? Has the seat been changed or altered to make it lower? And finally check to see If the forks have been raised through the top yoke. Torque wrench essential when carrying out any work.

Offline Billabong

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 16:17:50 »
It's a bike I'm looking at with a dealer. Standard seat but lowered suspension is all they say & they don't have the original dog bones.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 17:38:34 »
You will be able to get the original parts from a Suzuki dealer.
They shouldn't be too expensive to buy.

Give them the reg number and tel them you need the original "ROD, REAR CUSHION" for the REAR CUSHION LEVER.

Should be around £25 each side.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 17:44:53 »
Billabong, the suspension links/dogbones you need to return it to standard will have 140mm between the holes centres. If it's been lowered it will be 150mm or more. There's a bloke selling standard size (but not OEM) steel links on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-DL650-DL1000-V-Strom-Standard-Length-Dog-Bones-Suspension-Linkages/223115251161?hash=item33f2b48dd9:g:gpUAAOSw2UNbbXsQ

No idea of quality, but you could ask him questions

Bear in mind, you could always replace with links which raise the bike a tad (I don't know how tall you are!) :shrug:   there's loads of them online.
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Billabong

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 18:43:57 »
...Bear in mind, you could always replace with links which raise the bike a tad (I don't know how tall you are!) :shrug:   there's loads of them online.

Now that I hadn't thought of! I'm 6'2" so that might be good but would it adversely affect the bike's handling?

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 18:45:00 »
I am sure if you ask very nicely there will be someone on this forum that will sell you some quite cheaply.I purchased a pair of lowering links for a mate recently and they were only £15 ish.There must be dozens of pairs taking up room in toolboxes all over the UK.
Ian Mc.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 19:05:18 »
Maybe, as you've not bought it yet, it could be a sale clincher for the dealer if he was to to 'return it to standard'? Worth asking him. It would cost very little in time or money for them to do it in the workshop!
Or, make sure you get enough knocked off the asking price for you to buy the parts and pay to have them fitted elsewhere.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 12:08:04 »
Good idea Mick - point him to the standard links, make it part of the deal !

There's plenty of infeasibly tall buggers riding stroms (as well as correctly sized humans such as myself - OK, OK ,short-arses), and they mostly sem to go for lowering the pegs, raising the bars , getting taller seats to improve the ergonomics (at least from what I've seen). Some do raise the rear though as part of the solution, and I would imagine it might slightly improve the turn-in of the steering :shrug:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi