V-Strom specific discussion > V-Strom specific discussion

Ignition barrel key sticking/hard to turn

(1/6) > >>

Gillie76:
Got my new (used)DL650A K9 yesterday and when it got delivered the bloke pointed out that the key needed a bit of a wiggle to turn it on. Key works fine to remove seat. I'm guessing that due to the bikes age, the barrel and key will probably be well worn. It seems a bit hit or miss if the wiggle works...is there something I can do to rectify this or will it have to be a locksmith or new barrel? TIA

The Doctor 46:
You could try putting graphite powder on both sides of the Hello then put it in, wiggle it around then repeat. It doesn't need much powder in there. It might be good to spray lots of WD40 in there first but wait until it has dried for a while before using the powder.

This may help but as you say, it could just be the age of the lock. I think I could probably live with it as a quirk of the bike. Good luck.  :thumb:

Gillie76:
Thanks. I'm a bit sceptical about using WD40 as I did that in my old van and the locksmith wasn't impressed at all!
Might try the graphite powder as it seems to get mentioned quite a bit

Upt North:
Gillie,
My key was a little notchy yesterday, especially when going towards lock/parking light.
I rubbed a black pencil on a file above the key and did this a couple of times putting it in the lock and turning each time.
It smoothed things out nicely.
Strangely like yours it was smooth in the seat lock and this on a low mileage bike.
Good luck.
Upt.     But not quite as Upt as you.....

Gillie76:
Thanks Upt,
I suppose I could try filing up some pencil lead and trying that, rather than buying some graphite powder from a shop! That would be a cheap fix if it worked

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version