Author Topic: Extra bit on the screen ??  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Mad Phil

Extra bit on the screen ??
« on: July 19, 2011, 16:54:15 »
OK, what's the extra bit for on the top of a screen, the angle & height can be adjusted.

Obviously air flow but how does it work & what's the benefit from a stock screen of the same height..

Thanks

Phil

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
Re: Extra bit on the screen ??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 21:29:32 »
I'm no hairy-o-die-nammie-sist but it does make a difference. I think that if set in the right place it can slow the air coming off the front of the screen and blend the airflows together. I have fitted my Madstad and touring Vario screen and been out on the M4 experimenting (I stopped away from junctions to make changes, not on the hard shoulder) I have found as close to perfect as I have got so far, with the blade right up and out.

The key to making / fitting one is making sure it's easily adjustable, it's one of the dark arts setting up the aerodynamics (there, got it right!) as it's different for everyone.
No bike at present.......

Offline Timo

Re: Extra bit on the screen ??
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 11:26:41 »
Quote from: "Piglumps"
I think that if set in the right place it can slow the air coming off the front of the screen and blend the airflows together.
The key to making / fitting one is making sure it's easily adjustable, it's one of the dark arts setting up the aerodynamics (there, got it right!) as it's different for everyone.

and, with the greatest of respect, Piglumps is absolutely spot on. That is why my own aero-foil/laminar lip did NOT work as well as I had hoped. In order to prevent others from going down my path (see my post "My own aero-foil/laminar lip") a note of warning. It worked incredibly well around the Isle of Wight with limited speed on short journeys. I was delighted at how incredibly clever I had been. However, I'm no engineer (SWMBO describes me as a "tortured poet") and I'm generally pretty useless with practical things. So, my first commute to London up the A3 left me in a nice bubble of still air... and a splitting headache. I was getting very strong pressure on my forehead. So, I've taken it off. I've kept the washers under the bottom of the screen (to tilt towards me) and that is an improvement. I have also just ordered one of the "aero-trims" first mentioned by Orinoco on the 9th March. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

The key thing, as identified so wisely by Piglumps, is getting it set in the right place. My clever wheez allowed for no adjustability. Hopefully the aero-trim will do just that.

Cheers!