Author Topic: Sports screen - any good?  (Read 1932 times)

Offline James

Sports screen - any good?
« on: July 18, 2011, 18:32:02 »
Hi, I just wondered what you folks think of the sports screen - the small, tinted one off the X's. I've got the standard screen at the moment and suffer from the usual buffeting. I have looked at all the posts re screens and, whilst totally respecting all the views expressed, I do not like large screens. I reckon that, whilst offering protection, the Givis, Varios etc, do tend to catch the wind more on open windy plains. Just my view from having tried large screens in the past. Before I invest £80 in one I was wondering if anyone had changed from a standard screen to one of the sports screens and whether they found it helped with the buffeting? I've already placed some washers at the bottom and found some improvement.

Thanks chaps and chapesses.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Sports screen - any good?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 21:08:47 »
I'm sure I've seen posts where people were happy with the sports screen. I borrowed one from Gassoon for a test and I liked it so much I bought one 2nd hand. It must be said that I used it with a Madstad so I could get it perfectly adjusted. You have wind on you, much more so than any other larger screen, but it's just wind, no buffeting. It's lovely, but it makes you want to go faster all the time. I don't use it much as I do long commutes and for that a larger screen is better to keep the elements and wind off me. With the little screen I found that I get tired quicker even though it's more enjoyable to ride with it. Unless you do a 185 mile round trip 5 days a week you can probably live with more wind if it means less buffeting. If you're close to Warwick/Reading you're welcome to take it for a test ride (you won't mind if I hang on to your driver's licence while you have it since you're so new here? :grin:)

ps. Stick up an introduction post in that section of the forum, we like stories and pictures, we're just a bunch of big kids with toys :neen:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline bencav

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 21:24:44 »
Quote from: "James"
Hi, I just wondered what you folks think of the sports screen - the small, tinted one off the X's. I've got the standard screen at the moment and suffer from the usual buffeting. I have looked at all the posts re screens and, whilst totally respecting all the views expressed, I do not like large screens. I reckon that, whilst offering protection, the Givis, Varios etc, do tend to catch the wind more on open windy plains. Just my view from having tried large screens in the past. Before I invest £80 in one I was wondering if anyone had changed from a standard screen to one of the sports screens and whether they found it helped with the buffeting? I've already placed some washers at the bottom and found some improvement.

Thanks chaps and chapesses.

I had the sports screen and now have a tall MRA.

The sports was canny, no buffetting but lots of wind blast on arms/chest and noise. The lack of any height also meant there was no protection from rain etc.

The MRA is better for me, as I like to ride in stiller air, but if you don't like tall screens that's fair do's - Give a sports screen a go! At £80 though I think they are way over priced!!

Ebay has a seller called slipscreens that makes screens, perhaps he could cut a std size reproduction screen to size for you? probs closer to £30

Offline James

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:45:31 »
Thank you both for such excellent replies - just the information I was hoping to get! Now I'll think carefully...

Cheers.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:33:18 »
See if you can get a second hand one, seen a few on Ebay before (where I got mine too) and you can get it for £40 or even less.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline beep

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 09:32:37 »
I've ridden the Wee with both the standard, sports and MRA. As you've probably picked up from most of the post on this matter, the Sports is an improvement on the standard, but not nearly as good as the MRA. I've also read that removing the screen altogether is an improvement on the standard one - something I've not tried but suspect is true!