Author Topic: Waking from hibernation....  (Read 358 times)

Offline Sculptor55

• Bike: DL650XT AM3
Waking from hibernation....
« on: April 26, 2024, 13:45:26 »
Due to an unfortunate dog/football/wet grass/non-grip-footwear incident, and the subsequent surgery, physio etc, my 2023 650XT has been sitting unused in the garage for 6 months.  Happily, it’s now time to prepare for getting back on the road, so words of wisdom on recommissioning would be welcome.  Luckily, at the end of the last ride I filled up with E5, and used ACF50 on the spokes and shiny bits, which is probably what you would do if intending to lay the bike up.  Battery has been on a maintenance charger every few weeks, and the garage is dry and well insulated.  So the question is, beyond the usual pre-ride checks, should I do anything else before pressing the button?   It seems sensible to at least free the engine by turning over a few times using the rear wheel, or is it necessary to take the plugs out and put some lubricant into the cylinders?
All thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Waking from hibernation....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 14:17:00 »
After only 6 months, honestly I'd do your pre-ride checks and push the button. My guess would be it will fire first time and you'll be on your way.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 16:14:15 »
I'd just fire it up, it's what I did with mine that's been sitting from 16th October. I'll run this tank of fuel out, fill with fresh and the change the oil. I might clean the brake pistols up if I have a free afternoon.

Offline Sculptor55

• Bike: DL650XT AM3
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 13:39:59 »
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.  Just need a bit of decent weather now....

Offline Fishtail

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 11:24:51 »
Same here, 22 1050, pushed back out the garage where I left it in October, brushed the dust off the display. Threw my leg over, pressed the button and bye.
I’ve been doing the same for the last seven years with various Vstroms, never a problem. I’ll probably get it serviced when I can be bothered. It only does 5000 miles a year so not heavily used and built with modern materials/electronics. It’s not a seventies classic.
Nod if you're passing!

Offline Malfos

• Bike: Honda Forza 300
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 17:16:44 »
Quote removed

Brake pistols :shock: - Do you remove them at MOT time? :grin:

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 17:41:11 »
As fitted to the Enfield Bullet?

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 11:23:57 »
Sorry auto correct got me or my fat fingers. Been awhile from I carried one of those on my bike!
 My lack on winter maintenance got me this year as I've had to buy a new battery, still 9 years isn't bad, friends with fancy Triumph's and BMW's didn't make it to two years but I'd still have liked to make it to ten!