Oily Rag - Dedicated to Pat, Greywolf. 26/06/45 - 04/06/18 > Screens

Suzuki touring screen 2014 on Vstrom 1000

(1/3) > >>

porter:
I use a Givi airflow on my vstrom in winter, autumn time and switch to a MRA in spring, summer. I've been doing this for 8 years, I like both screens but time has took its toll with both heavily scratched, particularly the top section of the airflow.
 So I thought I'd buy a new screen. Looking about I seen a nice genuine Suzuki touring on ebay in real good nick and a cheap starting bid. I turned out to be the only bidder so got it for 30 quid.
Fitted it today, in the middle  position, took a 100 mile run  and it's a better speed limiter than taking  the wife on the pillion! Anything over 70mph and the buffeting is horrendous, at 80mph a can't read car number plates 20ft in front of me. I did try all three angles the screen can go, middle was best. I'll drop the screen till the lowest setting tomorrow and try again but it's only about 1cm.
Now I know why it was for sale so new and I was the only bidder!

nigel s:
I have used the Madstad or Palmer mounts on my last 4 bikes.Pricey but....no buffeting at any speed.
The last 2 bikes I just got the mount only which saved a bit .With a 6mm drill bit in a drill and a little ingenuity you can pretty much mount any screen at any height/angle.So all those old screens in the back of the garage can be tried out and tailored for personal preference,maybe even your Suzuki touring screen?.For me the airflow under has been the key,if I block the gap with my hand its amazing how noisy it is compared to normal .Makes even your favourite screen work better.
Here with a KTM smt 990 screen on.

Upt North:
It's strange innit, how can something that is destined to get ridden into the airflow at high speed be so badly designed.
I think Nigel is right. It's airflow up the back which helps, since fitting the Puig adjustable flip things got a lot quieter on The B. I was already a convert after running a MRA two piece touring on my last bike.
I'm not a fan of a sanitised riding experience either but manufacturers should be able to do a better job when it comes to seats, handlebars, mirrors, pegs, screens etc.
Look on the bright side, your fuel consumption will go up and tickets will go down. Although paracetamol isn't cheap these days.
Upt.

porter:
I placed the screen in the lowest holes this morning and I'll see how it goes tomorrow as the bike is up for its mot.
  I'm sure I could space out the bottom of the screen some way or buy an adjustable bracket but if it doesn't work out tomorrow it's back to my MRA and this thing on Ebay!  Though the chances of selling it after this post are slim. Still some mug will buy it, oh that was me!  lol

Upt North:
 lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version