Author Topic: So what do you wear?  (Read 10606 times)

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: So what do you wear?
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 09:46:12 »
My Altberg boots have been great for many years now - waterproof etc, just dubbin them thoroughly once a year. For years I wore leather jackets, but what a revelation textiles were! When I first wore one on the bike it was so light I felt naked, had to keep looking to check!That was a frank thomas jacket which I still have, and is fairly waterproof (just by spraying with silicone), vwry windproof, warm - but non-breathable! This year I splashed out on HG (had trouble getting HG stuff to fit me, previously) on  aJourney 2 goretex jacket in the sales. Its definitely more breathable, but a bit 'cooler' (good in summer, of course) and untested in serious rain as yet...

My only pair of textile pants are from Aldi! They are surprisingly warm and waterproof (again, silicone spray) and seem breathable to an extent. I'm happy with them , but just noticed them starting to fray, and one pocket lining I had to stitch up myself. If I was doing big miles I'd probably have to get 2 pairs a year ! (But at about 20 quid, who cares!?). I'll probably not get a pair of Aldi's next year, because of this quality of outer materials issue, and the level of protection, so I'm looking to the sales...200 miles to the NEC is a lot of fuel, though...
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2011, 10:09:39 »
Could you give me details about this silicone spray you've mentioned? It might just be the think that can keep my textiles going through this winter.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2011, 10:54:42 »
The spray comes from - guess where?! - Aldi stores! Now I'm getting embarrassed about this, but its good value stuff. Cost (I think) was 1.99 a tin of aerosol, it has the same smell as the much more expensive 'Fabsil' brand, and about the same chemical make-up as far as I know*. I bought 3 or 4 cans a couple of weeks ago, but you have to wait for them to come in to their stores. It works great (especially as a n emergency spray), water just rolls off, but I suspect like any similar product, it would block the pores of the fabric with repeated use in terms of breathability. The one thing I did use it on and know for certain it worked was my old leather gloves - significantly increased their w/proofness in a downpour after I sprayed em.
Previously I used Fabsil bought as a liquid in a can, sprayed with an ordinary household/gardening sprayer (as used on tents etc).

*Actually just read the can, and no chemical info at all given!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline patropsley

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 16:18:15 »
As mentioned in a previous thread I have been gifted  :ty: a set of rev'it Everest textiles - they have only been worn for a few miles and are fantastic – There are only two layers; thermal inner and the outer body is Gore-Tex. Fits really well and after riding through a horrendous downpour :rain:  in them was delighted with the waterproof nature :lala:  - also once all the water dripped off on the walk to the office they were dry on the coat hook incredible, but for around a grand a set you probably would have expected that – I could never have afforded a set but I am delighted to have them bring.... on the cold wet winter (this will be my first year round riding)

Pat
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Offline Dan The Man

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 16:30:29 »
My usual riding gear is Frank Thomas Raptor top and bottoms, gloves can be AStar shorties or Knox Biomechs as for boots I'm still rocking AStar SMX5's though not the waterproof varient, sadly, and at present I'm jumping betweek a Scorpion EXO 100 Air lid or Spada Sting for that dual sport goodness.

The beauty of my job is Ill just randomly get a delivery of new gear to play with so the above is what I would call my default riding gear, warm and waterproof but with removable linings for when its too hot

I would highly recoomend FT Gear to anyone, never had a problem in 3+ years with Raptor stuff
Be Safe,,,,,,,,,,,,,and if you can't be safe..........BE LETHAL.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2011, 17:00:07 »
What job is that then?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Oldie

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2011, 19:54:25 »
Ah, the Aldi waterproof spray!

Only used it once.

Unfortunately, I didn't mean to. Thought that it was my can of Halfords GT85 and started spraying it all over the Wee after washing and drying the bike, until I noticed that it didn't smell right!

Might have done it some good, of course.
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline Dan The Man

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2011, 08:54:57 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
What job is that then?

Product Reviewer for Bikechatter.net, got afew reviews up at the mo just look out for 'Dan Murray' and try to make it though to the end  :thumb:
Be Safe,,,,,,,,,,,,,and if you can't be safe..........BE LETHAL.

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2011, 09:10:12 »
Quote from: "Oldie"
Ah, the Aldi waterproof spray!

Only used it once.

Unfortunately, I didn't mean to. Thought that it was my can of Halfords GT85 and started spraying it all over the Wee after washing and drying the bike, until I noticed that it didn't smell right!
I just spat out coffee onto my keyboard  lol  lol
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Euroned

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2011, 13:35:31 »
I took your advice and tried the Fabsil silicon waterproofer  for tents.....have used on my Buffalo jacket arms and well chuffed!! Went home last night in real tipping down rain, after 25mins got home and not got wet arms(hurray!) and had beads of water over the arms, but rest of jacket, sort of soaked in(but not wet).

So I thoughly recommend Grangers Fabsil Waterproofer, clean off jacket, dry, then paint on waterproofer, leave to dry for 6+ hours...fantastic results...will do my trousers next ;) £8 for a litre online..well worth it!

Cheers all

Neil
Stay rubber side down!