Author Topic: New owner, first impressions, weak brakes.  (Read 3088 times)

Offline andyberg

New owner, first impressions, weak brakes.
« on: July 12, 2008, 01:02:23 »
After owning the Vee Strom for a month, got to say, I'm pretty happy..
Excellent comfort,  good real world performance, cheap to run, great to load up, I'm suprised how fast you can cover ground on it and its relatively simple to work on, what more could you want??

However, the brakes do seem pretty lacking to me(possibly the worst brakes I've used on a 1000cc bike) I would be a tad concerned riding 2 up with a 'full' load' as to the braking power!!

Any thoughts from other people on the way to go to improve them...obviously braided lines are next on the 'want' list but is this enought?

Has anyone fitted different calipers/mastercylinder or is the std setup adequate for the Vee's alround performance?

What do you all think about your brakes?
 :)

Offline robby

Re: New owner, first impressions, weak brakes.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 07:00:11 »
I'm glad you asked this question andy,I've owned my first wee-strom for a couple of months now and like you find the brakes not as good as my past bikes,still the best bike I've owned though :D

Offline stonehenge

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 07:19:05 »
The calipers, whilst not being Yamaha One Piece (R1 type) or Brembo Gold Series, are pretty effective for a basic two pot unit.  The front dive takes a bit of getting used to if you are from sports bikes.  To get extra braking power, fit braided lines with no splitter, that is, both lines direct from the mastercylinder.  This worked fine for me and will lock up the front if required - even two up!  Whilst I had this setup on my K2, I didn't fit it to my K6 Wee and I won't to my K7 Vee.

That said, I always use both brakes for serious braking (I was just using the front with the RSV1000) to reduce the dive.  Also, with the extra view you get from the Strom you can see so much more - and not need the brakes as much as you can anticipate potential hazards.

Steve
Previous: GS850, Thundercat, Honda X11, Transalp, VFR 800, GSX750x2, RF900, XT600, Mille, K2 Vee, K6 Wee, K7 Vee, 955 Tiger, BMW1150GSA, Honda CB250RS, BMW R1200RT, Honda XL650V Transalp, 2012 R1200GS, 2015 and 2016 R1200GSA, F750GS, F850GSA, FJR1300A, G310GS, Benelli TRK502, Now DL1050A

Offline doebag

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 10:37:14 »
I would agree with stonehenge here. The brakes a'int to R1 class, but they do work. I think the soft front forks make them feel worse, because they soak up the intial bite until the front tyre does dig in to the tarmac.

Without seeming facetious, you could try changing your riding style if you have come from a long line of sports bikes.
Use the improved vision to plan further ahead, and use the great engine braking to slow you down without the need to hammer the brakes.

If Lewis Hamilton got out of his F1 car and into a 44 tonne Eddie Stobart Artic, it would not stop  the same, and would HAVE to adjust his driving style :D
'Dying ain't much of a living, boy'

Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline KLV-Rider

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 11:04:13 »
I agree, the brakes are pretty poor by sportsbike standards but not too bad unless really pushing on. I don't suppose they could make them better at the factory or that front dive would be a lot worse, would be like rising a pogo stick... :D

Offline Ted$91

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 11:00:45 »
I find it helps if you clean the discs regularly, it's amazing how much crap builds up on them.

A quick wipe with some brake cleaner and a couple of paper towels does the trick.

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 11:05:11 »
Hi, I found brakes to be OK solo but the fork dive is a bit disconcerting with the current Mrs. Piglumps on the back. Dialling up the preload helps. I've not had a bike since '86 so haven't got a reference.
No bike at present.......