Author Topic: cool looking hi-vis  (Read 4559 times)

Anonymous

cool looking hi-vis
« on: August 20, 2011, 21:18:28 »
Saw this bloke a few years ago and will probably get one of these as it gets into winter but just thought I would post it here for everyone to see http://www.tinwolf.co.uk

He does custom vests so there is a possibility for a v strom one.

Offline Glider65

Re: great looking hi-vis
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 22:14:15 »
Great set of products.  I'm going off my big Green Hi Viz jacket - really not sure there's enough contrast, but these designs get the contrast thing working to full extent.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 22:17:52 »
:-x  :-x  :-x  :wtf:

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 11:28:56 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
:-x  :-x  :-x  :wtf:

Not for everyone I guess!   lol

Being a geek I quite fancy one with this

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 12:19:58 »
I guess I'm not geeky enough, what's the symbol for?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 13:00:39 »
It's the symbol of the Empire from Star Wars, think it would make a good contrast on the black part of the jacket

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 15:38:59 »
My wife would know that  :shy:
I like Star Wars, I have Star Wars socks with colour coded heels and toes :grin: It's one of those things I have never noticed, it's a complete blank, no recollection situation when I look at that, how odd... :crazy:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 16:04:51 »
Looks a good Idea to me - Black Hi-Viz

I've never been a fan of Hi-Viz garish colours

I wonder if he  :crazy: does a Dachshund Design
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 16:39:23 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
I guess I'm not geeky enough, what's the symbol for?
Call yourself a programmer? hang your head in shame  :old:
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 17:28:24 »
I'm not a programmer :GRR:

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 21:40:58 »
o_O how odd.. memory must be failing me, could have sworn you were! hang your head in shame anyway  :neen:
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 08:42:07 »
Personally the more I stand out the better, I've had enough people pulling out on me with the SMIDSY excuse, if I am dressed like Coco the Clown and they pull out then I can legitimately beat them to death with their own shoes.

I've never been much for fashion anyway! :grin:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 12:46:09 »
jstrom and Hutchie are both programmers, maybe you're confusing me with them?

Not really wanting to start "the hi-viz discussion" again, but I have a story...

This morning I was riding behind a bloke on a 55 plate VTX with straight through pipes. They sound lovely when he accelerates, idles along or decelerates. Very loud, I could hear them well with earplugs in with a quiet Shoei Qwest helmet. He was wearing a yellow fluorescent BOX helmet and his jacket and backpack were both full yellow hi-viz with very little black in between. He was highly visible and very easy to hear. He was filtering, like me, and he constantly had to stop because people kept drifting over to the line he was riding on, seemingly oblivious that he was there. He got annoyed a bit and started to give the bike a rev here and there to get people to hear him. They'd move over then and I had enough gap to get through easily so I stayed behind him as he wasn't holding me up. I followed him for a few miles, he got off at the same junction I did onto the A404. Traffic was pretty smooth on the A404 until near a roundabout where it always slows down. He started filtering as I would have, same thing, like people are completely blind to him. A big red van actually drifted over so much that the bloke had to stop the bike at the nose of the van, look at the driver and eventually use the horn to get the driver to steer away. Only the driver decided he's going to steer towards the VTX even more. The bloke on the VTX gave it a squirt and got through, but I was close behind him as I had to slow for him. I got on the horn too, I'm not as wide so I knew I could get through easily even with him steering my way (he was crawling with the rest of the traffic.) Knowing I could get past him and angry that he's pushing me towards the car on the right (who by now had decided to steer way from the van to make space for us) I whacked his mirror with my left hand going by. In my anger I was hoping I could braek the glass, but it flipped forward and banged loudly against the van's side before springing back, nothing broken. The noise it made combined with the horn just before I hit his mirror and the sudden realisation that there was another bike next to him that he's steering into made him swerve over to the left away from me and the next bike behind me got through easily. The van driver didn't even think to get on his horn, he looked shocked. Mission accomplished.

This is one of my first experiences of people actually steering towards a bike with intent. I was a bit surprised that I reacted the way I did, I'm normally not someone that goes over into physical action even though I joke about it. Still angry thinking about it, that kind of action is with intent to harm and just because someone chooses a motorcycle as his mode of transport :GRR:

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 18:04:03 »
Juv, don't blame yourself for resorting to whacking his mirror, just reading your story I got so mad I had to go out and welly the mirror on me own car...

feel better now, though. :shock:

My biggest worry is that in the mind-set of a person such as your van driver, motorcycles become even more irritating, and a 'challenge' and a target...To someone else it may have been a salutary lesson, a wake-up call and a fulcrum of change.    But not a t**t like that (probably). But all you as a motorcyclist can do is act in that moment to save your skin. Kind of depressing that people like that are around, isn't it: not just stupidly careless drivers, but ones actively out to cause damage. Even now I'm thinking 'surely he must have been on his phone texting, or something - ie just stupidly dangerous?'  (like the nursing sister I saw today texting on her lap-held phone driving her BMW through heavy Gateshead traffic). ###  :-x
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 18:08:16 »
Eh?! What happened there?

Sorry about the rant, a bit off topic...

If I had to wear hi-viz, that's the stuff I'd go for tallnick, never seen it before (actually , that doesn't augur well!)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 19:14:26 »
I've emailed them anyway to see if they have done anything Star Wars before, I'm such a geek!

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 19:52:06 »
Well I've taken the plunge and ordered one, bloke called Paul has been in touch over the weekend (impressed!) to go over designs and it should take about 2 weeks for delivery, will be posting a mini review when it arrives with pics.  Can't wait!